Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2011, 12:25 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,785,564 times

Advertisements

Ok here is the thing:My mother is from Milen Georgia.My grandparents passed away like 20 years ago.The house of my mother's childhood is on a route way out from the actual city.It is totally rural.The only group of 4 houses are about 2 acres apart from each other.
My oldest uncle of 14 Bros. and Sis.moved back after living in Philly for 50 years and he died about 2 years ago suffering from all the years of alcohol and drug abuse.He left the house in deplorable conditions where no sane person would ever live.All my mom siblings moved as soon as they were old enough to get away.SO I really dont have any family that I know of that are still there.Some distant ones Im sure but none you really want to get to know.Not a snob but many of them have no desire for anything more than whats in Milen.

So recently my parents along with my moms other siblings have decided to do a complete renovation of that 70 year old house for the first time ever.New everything.Even adding extra space.This house sits on about 20 acres of flat,land that has swamps,rattlesnakes,and alll kinds of wildlife that scares me to death!When my grandparents were alive it was a complete working farm with all kinds of vegetable,fig trees,chickens,pigs and even a couple of horses.Now its just overgrown natural brush behind the house.

My problems is that NO ONE in my family wants to live there!Its like the place that even a retiree would be bored.There is absolutely nothing to do.Not even natural beauty.There are no beaches or mountains.
So it looks like the house will be "beautifully empty".My question is what would some of you do with this house?Anyone in the family can use it as a "get away" but its not likely many in my family from as far away as California are gonna go to Milen for a get way.

Also if there is anyone from the area what is there to do?Jobs?Crime?Anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2011, 06:25 AM

23,438 posts, read 44,044,945 times
It's not out of the realm of possibility that the property could be desirable as a rental. There are still people out there that value the rural life. After all, Statesboro, a decent sized college town, is just 30 miles away.
It might behoove you to consult a local realtor.

Old 01-18-2011, 04:53 PM

2,014 posts, read 5,096,386 times
I have a friend from nearby Sylvania and she says the whole area is pretty dead, but then again some people would describe anywhere rural as that way.

Not only is Statesboro nearby, Augusta is about 45 mins away too.

Old 01-18-2011, 06:36 PM

1,531 posts, read 3,098,933 times
Statesboro & Augusta are really too far away for the property to be a viable rental for those areas. Sadly, Millen is another dead mill town.

I'd put it on the market. Jobs are coming to Waynesboro via Plant Vogtle. Maybe people coming into the area would be interested. But don't sink another dime into the house without a plan!

Old 01-18-2011, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by King_X View Post
I have a friend from nearby Sylvania and she says the whole area is pretty dead, but then again some people would describe anywhere rural as that way.

Not only is Statesboro nearby, Augusta is about 45 mins away too.
No your friend is right.t is DEAD.I from South Georgia as you know but not rural Georgia.I know Statesboro is not to far but its far enough in a rural area.The house is not even in town,its on the outskirts.

Old 01-18-2011, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 912 View Post
Statesboro & Augusta are really too far away for the property to be a viable rental for those areas. Sadly, Millen is another dead mill town.

I'd put it on the market. Jobs are coming to Waynesboro via Plant Vogtle. Maybe people coming into the area would be interested. But don't sink another dime into the house without a plan!
Well thats about the conclusion I have come up with but for my mom its a purely sentimetal thing.The money i not really an issue.I just hate to see it being waisted just sitting there empty the majority of the time.

Old 01-18-2011, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
It's not out of the realm of possibility that the property could be desirable as a rental. There are still people out there that value the rural life. After all, Statesboro, a decent sized college town, is just 30 miles away.
It might behoove you to consult a local realtor.
Yes I am familiar with Stateboro.When I was a kid,that was like going to the big city!Augusta in most people opinion back then was the same size as Atlanta!

I had envisioned in my head maybe making it a working small farm where people from the city could come and gather eggs from chickens,ride some horses,and do other farm llke things for a fee.Kinda like "City Slickers" starring Billy Crystal.But then I thought about who would administer the duties?Especially when no customers were there to rent it?I dont think I could stay there that long.Plus its way out and even though I was in the military I live in the city so my stance on gun control differs.But I do understand living way out with no help in sight why people would want their own gun.I know I would HAVE to have one.Its pretty scary at night.Very DARK.

You are right about the realator.I may do that just to get some ideas.

Old 01-19-2011, 02:01 PM

16,715 posts, read 19,398,612 times
Do you mean Milan or Millen? There's a big difference as to the location.

Old 01-19-2011, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
Do you mean Milan or Millen? There's a big difference as to the location.
You cant be serious?This is a Georgia thread .I was not aware Georgia has a "Milan".This is a GEORGIA thread you know?

Old 01-19-2011, 10:25 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,072,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
You cant be serious?This is a Georgia thread .I was not aware Georgia has a "Milan".This is a GEORGIA thread you know?
//www.city-data.com/city/Milan-Georgia.html

Milan, Georgia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia