U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Moving to Georgia: job market, bankruptcy filing, driving school, rental, traffic.

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2007, 10:13 AM

200 posts, read 933,719 times

Advertisements

I live in North Forsyth, and I know there are some homes that size near Gainesville. That is a fairly good size town, near Lake Lanier.

I moved here from The Philadelphia area, but the Jersey side. The taxes are so much lower here and home prices are very reasonable.

It's definately better that the Philly are. Are you in the Sharon Hill area? Just curious?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2007, 10:25 AM

32 posts, read 111,962 times
I can't wait to drive down and see all the towns you've all suggested! I don't mind driving to a city for entertainment, but I want to come back home to a quiet peaceful place without signs urban sprawl and decay.

Trying to find a new home 10 - 15 or more hours away from everything you've ever known is so very difficult. More so because I'm literally doing this all on my own, without any input from my husband as he'll be on the road. He trusts me to find a wonderful area and home to live in. We're in an awful spot right now, and If I make the wrong choice, we'll wind up worse off than we are now. The pressure of letting him OR my kids down weighs heavily on my mind!

When I read the many responses you've all left, I almost want to cry. I don't feel quite so alone when I've got so many wonderful people who are helping me! I honestly can not express my gratitude to all of you. Your generosity and willingness to help total strangers is unbelievable.

Old 07-22-2007, 10:28 AM

32 posts, read 111,962 times
Calcbunny, I live in Clifton Heights. I worked in Sharon Hill for a bit, and it's only a 5 minute drive.

If I may ask, where in Jersey did you live? I grew up in Pennsauken, and lived in Collingswood and Blackwood before I moved here.

Old 07-22-2007, 05:11 PM

200 posts, read 933,719 times
Grew up in Cherry Hill, moved to Southampton/Vincentown for 10 years until moving to Cumming this past December.

You are gonna miss all that good Philly food though!

There are actually homes here in nice areas for $150,000, not huge but I know where you are coming from and everything is a bargain in comparison.

Just for comparison:

Alpharetta is like another city North of Atlanta, lots of job potential. It reminds me of Moorestown, Mt Laurel NJ, but still cheaper. It is probably too expensive for you. I live in Cumming which is like a 30 minute commute to Alpharetta, and Gainesville. I am right off the 400 which would remind you of 295. Forsyth county which mostly comprised of the city of Cumming would remind you of Burlington County NJ, busy in parts, but still fairly rural towards the north.

I am happy here, I miss my Philly food, but the real estate prices are actually affordable here. Taxes in Forsyth are really low and they are actually going down next year! I never had that in NJ.

Check Atlanta Craigslist for home listings too.

I thought you lived in the Sharon Hill area as the way you described it. My husband was born in Folcroft.

Good Luck, let us know what you decided on.

Last edited by Calcbunny; 07-22-2007 at 05:27 PM..

Old 07-22-2007, 08:56 PM

100 posts, read 323,084 times
Default Give south Ga a try

Quote:
Originally Posted by goose1 View Post
You might want to consider South Georgia we have several trucking industries. Walmart has a distrubition center in Douglas and Dot Foods has a center in Vidalia. There is lots to do within 2-3 hour drive time such as malls, beaches or mountain.
South Georgia is a good suggestion. We are not close to the mountains but we have the beach. You can get to the mountains in about 5 hours. We live in Camden County, Georgia (Kingsland, St. Marys) which is right across the state line from Jacksonville, Florida. We have excellent schools--I have two girls ages 6 and 11. The 11 year old also has ADHD and I have gotten alot of help with her--she went from always being in trouble to enrolled in the gifted program thanks to some good teachers and administrators. There is a navy base here and alot of job on it--mostly security but you can also get in with the government. If you have customer service experience I know you can easily get on with Express Scripts making about $10 an hour to start. They are a call center for a prescription drug service.

Rent and housing costs are reasonable. Especially now we have not gotten any new submarines lately so there are a lot of houses on the market. Check out Camden County Discount Real Estate - 'The Kings Bay Experts' for an idea of prices.

Utilites, insurance, etc are also reasonable.

We have the small town feel but there is plenty of stuff in town as far as grocery stores, restaurants, etc. The Jacksonville airport is only about 25 minutes away and you have all the big city stuff of Jacksonville.

If you want anymore info feel free to send me a message.

Old 07-22-2007, 09:00 PM

9,188 posts, read 30,881,852 times
Chatttanoooooogaaaaaaaa

Old 07-23-2007, 09:57 PM

22 posts, read 81,198 times
Of the towns that gamtserenity mentioned, I like Blue Ridge best of all. I find PARTS of Blue Ridge charming and it's right in the apple growing region of Georgia. Thing is, though, I'm retired and my husband is happily settled in a position in the Piedmont area so we've never investigated employment in those areas. I find downtown Elijay (not far from Blue Ridge) interesting as well and the country around those areas. We've only visited these areas for vacations.

Best of luck -- there are SO many nice places in Georgia to live that it's hard to pin down one or two places...and there is SO much diversity between the various areas (mountains, piedmont, beach areas).

Old 07-28-2007, 12:12 AM

2 posts, read 7,668 times
Hi Sarah,
Like Calcbunny... I live in North GA as well... (Forsyth county, not to be confused with Forsyth (the city)) beautiful place such that it is...
we have the wonderful Lake Lanier w/ plenty of (free)natural parks on the lake.
we are close to beautiful mountain views
I know there is a place called Cumming Rentals ...my friend used them and they have some decent homes for well round 875-up depending on what you are looking for.
GREAT schools... I have been here over 8 years and have 6 kids... as of now 1 in high school, 1 in middle and 3 in elem and one in preschool.
more house for the money here and it is a buyers market right now!
anyways... had to put in my 2 cents...hope it helps... BethForsyth County

Old 07-28-2007, 06:31 AM

539 posts, read 1,922,762 times
Default Just relocated to Georgia

Hi Sarah,

My family and I just made the move to GA from CT. We have been here about 2 weeks and so far couldn't be happier. We are in Atlanta Metro and my husband works in Carroll county. We were pretty close to moving to Carrollton or Bremen. We really fell in love with Bremen but found a sub-division that we really loved in Newnan instead. Bremen is a small town, close knit community, virtually no crime, seems to have great schools and isn't far from the bigger towns like Carrollton and Villa Rica. I'm not sure about rentals but it's worth looking at.

I did a LOT of research before we moved here. This site was the most helpful. We had also made a few trips down and spoke with anyone who would talk to us Some of my favorite sites are, Schoolmatters.com, Greatschools.net, Federal Bureau of Investigation - Uniform Crime Reports, Moderator cut: linking to competitors sites is not allowed, Georgia Department of Education. I was able to find plenty of useful statistics at these sites and most were pretty up to date.

Best of luck to you and your family, wherever you decide to move to!

Last edited by Yac; 01-08-2008 at 05:37 AM..

Old 07-28-2007, 07:17 AM

2 posts, read 7,659 times
Hello, Sarah.
Relocating is an intimidating experience. I relocated to Atlanta from Dallas, TX. The traffic and related issues were so bad I moved from Atlanta to the Gainesville area (1 hour north). Here is a web-site with a wealth of info: AccessNorthGa.com - Your Local Online Newspaper for Local News Local Sports Georgia Headlines.

If living in an area close to a lake and mountains with a strong medical center is important then consider the Gainesville area. During your August visit try to visit a few churches on Sunday morning and tell them you are a visitor. You will find friendly people who will want to help you with finding a job, where to live, best schools, places to shop.

If you do not mind retail then a job will not be hard to find. The Mall of GA is less than 20 miles south and new shopping centers are under construction in Oakwood and Flowery Branch. Possibilities include Northeast GA Medical center, Brenau Univ., Gainesville College, Lanier Tech., Lake Lanier Islands resort, city and county governments, etc.

Another advantage is that Tennessee, North Carolina, and South Carolina are very close. The Atlantic is about 5 hours east and the Gulf is a little more than 6 hours drive south. We even have an Amtrak station.

There are many great places to live in Georgia. Suwannee (45 minutes south) was voted one of the best places to live this month. Athens, Gainesville and Peachtree City were also named during years past. Savannah, Brunswick and St. Simons Island are beautiful areas. Columbus, GA is a larger city and is very close to a lake, Florida, and Auburn University (Alabama).

Many excellent choices but Gainesville is my home. Good luck on your search and let us know what we can do to make your transition easier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or