U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2007, 12:31 PM

138 posts, read 637,701 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gal5 View Post
Hubby got there last night and says Ga is beautiful and that Im going to love it. I CANT WAIT
We've been having some cool evenings, at least by my standards. The last couple of evenings it has been around 68 degrees and low humidity. Yes, this is beautiful, but wait; it will get ugly again before summer is out of here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2007, 06:20 PM

9 posts, read 74,990 times
We have similar laws here in Tx. Some counties dry some wet and nothing avail til afternoon on Sunday. I dont drink myself so no matter to me, but hubby likes a beer once he gets home from work. So I dont think this is an issue anymore to me. As far as the weather, I dont think its much different there than in Tx. Its nice now, 70's in the morning and upper 90's later in the day, but the 100's will be here in about a week or so, so 100-120 is about normal here. Im used to that. Im really ready to move to a quiet small town and a slower life style. The 2 hr drive back and forth to work in really wearing me down. We are ready for a change

Thank you all so much for your help and input!

Old 07-27-2007, 06:21 PM

38 posts, read 130,262 times
Just thought I'd put my 2 cents in since I've lived here in GA my entire life....
As already stated, smoking and drinking laws vary by county and/or city. Currently it is illegal to purchase alcohol of any type on Sunday no matter where you are in the state....a bill is being considered to get this changed, but that won't happen as long as Sonny's governer.
Some counties are wet, some dry, some semi-dry (I've lived in all three).
Wet = you can purchase beer and wine from convenience, grocery, and liquor stores and you can purchase hard liquor from liquor stores only
Semi-dry = you can purchase beer and wine from convenience and grocery stores and you can purchase hard liquor by the drink only (not in bottles from liquor stores) and most of the time those establishments must sell a greater percentage of food than alcohol.
Dry = beer and wine can be purchased from convenience and grocery stores and no hard liquor can be sold in the county
**in most cases beer and wine can also be purchased by the glass at restaurants as long as that establishment has obtained proper licensing.

Now on to smoking...
This, again, varies by county but the trend is going toward only allowing smoking in bars/restaurants where a live band is playing. As far as the one of not allowing smoking in areas where there are minors...I'm not disputing it...but that's the first time I've heard that one.

As far as drinking and smoking at home....Georgia isn't that suppressive!

Old 09-28-2008, 01:41 PM

1 posts, read 3,352 times
Quote:
Can you please tell me the laws in GA reguarding drinking and smoking??? We can smoke and drink in Tx but I have heard somehthings about the laws in Ga.
Long-standing common law bans smoking everywhere, indoors and out. Toxic tobacco smoke kills 65,000 INNOCENT Americans every year. Adults are NOT expendable; smoking around 18 and over (anywhere) is NOT permissable, just as it is not permissable to poison children with toxic tobacco smoke. (Texas law on smoking is backward because there are SO many political tobacco whores in the legislature.)

Smoking around children is CHILD ABUSE, pure and simple. If you must smoke, move to another planet and poison the atmosphere there, not on Earth.

Old 09-28-2008, 02:09 PM

7,862 posts, read 15,281,500 times
Statewide Smoking Ban Q&A

Old 09-29-2008, 12:53 PM

239 posts, read 800,002 times
Quote:
I had heard that if you get caught in Ga smoking infront of your kids or in your house that you could be charged with child abuse
There was an effort by lawmakers a few years back to make smoking with kids in the car illegal but it was defeated.

As for not being able to buy alcohol on Sunday, just do what everyone else does, buy it by Saturday so you can enjoy it on Sunday.

Wikipedia has a list of dry counties by state. I'm not sure how accurate it is. The list for Georgia seems too short to me.

Old 10-29-2008, 03:51 PM

1 posts, read 3,226 times
I wished that we actaully had "Freedom". We live in the usa but were are becoming prisoners over every little thing. No smoking ,,it should be a persons choice,,drinking hell why not buy it on sunday? You can go out to a bar/restuarant and get liquored up and drive home but GOD fodbid you buy it at a store and drink at your own home. This country is screwed up!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 10-29-2008, 04:09 PM

7,862 posts, read 15,281,500 times
I agree on the drinking and think Sunday sales should be allowed as is done in most states. It's a religious objection which has no place in public policy. Your buying booze on Sunday or drinking on Sunday has no effect on me, so long as you don't get in your car and drive after drinking.

I agree with indoor smoking bans and that's another issue. Your right to make a fist ends at the tip of my nose. When you smoke indoors in public places, you can't isolate your smoke and it affects me against my will. Have fun smoking in your own home, but when you presume to affect others, the state has a right to step in.

Old 10-30-2008, 12:07 AM
VJP

668 posts, read 1,494,349 times
I won't start with the umpteen arguments that we have hashed out here. I think we should buy booze and being beholden to the religious nuts is ridiculous. You guys are all aware that those of us who like to drink on Sunday while watching football go to the bar, drink lots and drive home all drunk right???

Drinking is allowed in retail establishments with appropriate licenses and sales where greater than 51% of the revenue on Sunday is from food. Since Alcohol is much more revenue generating than food, most of the bar, club, restaurant purveyors I know fudge their books. I don't blame them.

I have no comments on smoking other than indoor smoking bans are fine. Smelling like smoke after a night out is less than desireable, but I am all for your individual right to smoke.

Old 11-03-2008, 03:49 PM

3 posts, read 9,976 times
I really wish we'd get our act together and at least get rid of the sunday law. The rest of the blue laws could be done away with as well.

Seperation of church and state and all that jazz, ya know?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia