U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2007, 12:43 PM

9 posts, read 74,983 times

Advertisements

Can you please tell me the laws in GA reguarding drinking and smoking??? We can smoke and drink in Tx but I have heard somehthings about the laws in Ga.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2007, 01:21 PM

1,088 posts, read 5,919,099 times
What are your wondering?

You can't smoke in any restaurant or bar where there are minors (under 18).

You can't buy alcohol from a store on a Sunday

You can't buy a drink from a restuarant or bar until noon on Sunday (that might be Atlanta only, I'm not sure)

Generally only liquor stores have hard liquor, grocery stores and convenience stores often have wine and beer

Georgia has some very stringent wholesale laws which sometimes makes it tough for you to import your local brew

I think these are the big ones.

Old 07-21-2007, 03:11 PM

483 posts, read 1,943,952 times
I honestly don't know if it is a LAW or not, but you will not see smoking in stores (grocery, Walmart, Home Depot, etc) at all. Nor in any office I've been into in the past few years.

Old 07-21-2007, 06:10 PM

ok thats the same as here in Tx. I had heard that if you get caught in Ga smoking infront of your kids or in your house that you could be charged with child abuse and that drinking was on the outs there with most people. I guess i just talk to someone that really frowns on that. Thanks for the info

Old 07-21-2007, 07:16 PM

218 posts, read 1,100,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gal5 View Post
ok thats the same as here in Tx. I had heard that if you get caught in Ga smoking infront of your kids or in your house that you could be charged with child abuse and that drinking was on the outs there with most people. I guess i just talk to someone that really frowns on that. Thanks for the info
Wow, where did you hear that from? I have never heard of that and I am a Georgia native.

Old 07-21-2007, 08:39 PM

1,088 posts, read 5,919,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gal5 View Post
and that drinking was on the outs there with most people.
Depends on where you are. I hear that in some of the really rural towns people really are very opposed to drinking. The south is full of baptists and strict baptists don't believe in drinking. Some counties or towns are even dry. If you are in a city though, they are just like any other city. Certain people will look down on you (maybe more here then somewhere else) but lots of people drink.

Quote:
Originally Posted by irvm View Post
I honestly don't know if it is a LAW or not, but you will not see smoking in stores (grocery, Walmart, Home Depot, etc) at all. Nor in any office I've been into in the past few years.
I think that is the same everywhere in the US. Isn't there a federal law saying something like if you employ over a certain number of people you have to provide a smoke free work environment? I'm not really sure, but it seems like there is something like that. I've never been in any retail store and seen smoking.

Old 07-22-2007, 09:21 AM

I was in a chat with some people getting info on the State. We are moving there within a month and I was just casually asking mute questions that popped into my head. Come to think of it now it did sound like a Sunday morning hell and damnation speech. Im not perfect but I do smoke and hubby does drink beer. Wheeew Im glad I asked in here, for a moment I was nervous of coming but Im good now. Packing is going so slow I hate packing and movingbut I cant wait. Hubby got there last night and says Ga is beautiful and that Im going to love it. I CANT WAIT

Old 07-22-2007, 12:05 PM

7,100 posts, read 25,066,158 times
It will vary from county to county, and from city to city with the unincorporated areas abiding by the county regulations.

In regards to smoking, any privately owned building, even though it's available to the public, can restrict smoking.

Old 07-23-2007, 08:09 AM

1,418 posts, read 9,531,836 times
The best thing a county can do in Georgia to preserve its rural charicter is stay dry. Personally, I wish all of the North Georgia Mountains were in dry counties.

Old 07-24-2007, 12:19 PM

22 posts, read 81,191 times
I live in Georgia and the laws concerning wine and beer and liquor really vary. I can't tell you which county or town has which law ('cause there are SO many counties, it's amazing). In some places you can have wine or beer (don't know about liquor) in restaurants on Sunday with a meal, but I think NOT buy it in stores. Other places, no wine or beer (again, don't know about liquor). I was told recently that in some place (and who knows where) that wine and beer (maybe liquor) CAN be bought on a Sunday, but only after noon or a little later. And, it almost seems as if sometimes there are different rules for different parts of some counties. I was told recently that one could have wine with a meal in a restaurant on a Sunday in a particular (tiny) City in one of the counties, but not in other towns or areas of the county. In fact, recently we were over in Fayetteville on a Sunday at World Market and noticed a sign on the door about no wine or beer sales on Sundays (so I guess a lot of people don't know the rules).

We come from a city in the West where beer, wine and liquor are sold in grocery stores any time day or not and and in any restaurant that has the appropriate wine and beer or liquor license (different licenses).

Since it appears you're moving to Georgia, you'll see what I mean about the counties and towns -- it's not uncommon to live in one county and have a meal in a restaurant in another. BTW, I haven't noticed any strange looks if we are out to dinner on a Sunday and someone in our party orders a glass of wine, even with the others in the group are personally opposed to drinking at all.

In our area the phrase, "would you like a drink?" means a SOFT drink. This was funny to me as "a drink" means an alcoholic drink to me. Undoubtedly, different areas in Georgia have different terms for soft drinks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia