U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2007, 01:44 PM

201 posts, read 1,027,261 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
A feeling such as "Panic"? Overreation? Paranoia, perhaps? SIGH.

Ok, to Janet -

Sure, you can live in a Trump condo if you want. They're about to begin construction of Trump Tower Atlanta on or around 15th Street in Midtown. A 1BR/1BA *starts* at $475,000.00. But you don't have to be wealthy to live in a condo inside the city.

While the average price of a "new" 1BR condo runs in the $165,000 range averaged out, there are older condo units that can be found for less than that. I've even seen older (pre-1989) condos with 2BR/2BA go for as little as $130,000 now and then.

So you see - you can live in a deer free, bear free, bird free, critter free place (you'll still see the occasional spider, though). If you go with a house ANYWHERE in Georgia, I can almost certainly guarantee you that at the very least you're going to see an occasional Coyote, 'Possum, or Ground hog. So stop screaming - they don't want to eat you (well, most of them, anyway).
Ground hogs??? With every quote, I pick up a new animal to think about. Thanks for the condo info. Donald Trump probably has an exterminator system being installed in the condo for that price! You sound so logical, calm, serene and accepting. I also love the women's attitude too. If I am to become "Georgiznized", I must resign myself to the "critter way of life". When you live in Rome -- and you know the rest. But wherever I go, there I am (I take me with me wherever I go). I just saw a penny roll out of my purse and I jumped!!! Lord have mercy on me!!! I love Georgia! Maybe I should become a "bubble girl". (If you are a Seinfeld watcher, you are familiar with that episode). If not, you are intelligent enough to get the picture. By this time tomorrow, I will be in Lawrenceville. All the critters will probably know who I and will be standing on Buford Drive sticking their tongues out at me.

Last edited by janette moss; 07-22-2007 at 01:49 PM.. Reason: adding a sentence
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2007, 08:57 PM

9,188 posts, read 30,878,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janette moss View Post
You sound so logical, calm, serene and accepting. I also love the women's attitude too. If I am to become "Georgiznized", I must resign myself to the "critter way of life".

By this time tomorrow, I will be in Lawrenceville. All the critters will probably know who I and will be standing on Buford Drive sticking their tongues out at me.
I grew up in West Virginia. My sister lives on the side of a small mountain and bears regularly come down into her back yard to play with her dog. Know what she does? She gets out her broom and goes out there and "shoos" it away. So that's why when I'm around a "girly girl" down here who squishes out at the sight of a chipmunk I just HAVE to comment on it.

P.S... You have more microscopic bugs living on your body right now, than you'll ever see in your home. Right now there are thousands of dust mites crawling all over your eyelids and in your ears. Think about that. Pic of dust mite: http://www.camden.rutgers.edu/~bwhit..._dust_mite.jpg

Oh yeah - two months ago they spotted two bears in Lawrenceville.

Old 07-22-2007, 09:59 PM

201 posts, read 1,027,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
I grew up in West Virginia. My sister lives on the side of a small mountain and bears regularly come down into her back yard to play with her dog. Know what she does? She gets out her broom and goes out there and "shoos" it away. So that's why when I'm around a "girly girl" down here who squishes out at the sight of a chipmunk I just HAVE to comment on it.

P.S... You have more microscopic bugs living on your body right now, than you'll ever see in your home. Right now there are thousands of dust mites crawling all over your eyelids and in your ears. Think about that. Pic of dust mite: http://www.camden.rutgers.edu/~bwhit..._dust_mite.jpg

Oh yeah - two months ago they spotted two bears in Lawrenceville.
Oh my Godddddddddddd!!!!!!!!! Someone said they lived in Lawrenceville for 9 years in a quote and never saw deer. They didn't mention the "Dancing Bears"! You would have to tell me that!!!

I have news for you -- I'M FROM WEST VIRGINIA TOO! What a small "forum world"! I am from Charleston -- what about you? We are on our way out the door to Lawrenceville, so I will probably have some things I want to discuss when I get back. Have a great week "Mountain Man".

Old 07-23-2007, 08:52 AM

Quote:
I have news for you -- I'M FROM WEST VIRGINIA TOO! What a small "forum world"! I am from Charleston -- what about you? We are on our way out the door to Lawrenceville, so I will probably have some things I want to discuss when I get back. Have a great week "Mountain Man".
Ok, you're from Charleston and you freak out over wildlife?

My sister's house is only about 15 miles from downtown Charleston. Heck, every year at least 1-2 bears actually go INTO downtown Charleston and swim across the Kanawha River - you missed that when it happened?

Old 07-23-2007, 11:53 AM

138 posts, read 637,649 times
I have a couple of bear sitings in the 12 years I've live here. The first one was a black bear up in a tree on Robins AFB. The Game Warden shot it with a tranqulizer and they took it to Oaky Woods. The other one was a bit more scary. I was driving home from Atlanta and less than 3 miles from my house a bear ran out in front of me. I hit it in the rear, but it ran off into the woods. No damage to the car, well at least on the outside.

Old 07-23-2007, 12:41 PM

1,418 posts, read 9,531,836 times
Quote:
I want to know more about the fire ants.
Being from Florida, we have to deal with these nasty critters constantly. I've never seen any in Atlanta, or north of Atlanta - I would be surprised if they are that far North. But, I have heard that the southern half of Georgia has fire ants.

The good news is that they won't eat your house like termites, carpenter ants, or wood boring beetles.

The bad news is that they are very aggressive, build large mounds in your yard, and if they attack you and you sustain multiple stings, it can be painful to dangerous. If you are not allergic to the stings, a fireant sting can be comparable to a wasp sting. I've been stung by fireants and wasps on many occassions, and it feels somewhat similar. However, if you step into a fireant mound you can expect to get many stings on your feet and legs. Your foot and ankle will likely swell up. If you are allergic, you probably need to get to a hospital. You will know if you are alergic if you get big blisters from just one or two stings - my sister was alergic to fireants, and she'd get big puffy blisters from stings and her foot would swell up from just one or two stigns.

I've seen two real bad fire ant attacks. One was as a kid, we were hiking in the woods and another kid stepped right into a HUGE fireant mound. The kid was instantly covered with fireants and was screaming. We had to drag him down to the lake and dunk him in to wash them off. He had huge welts all over him - stayed home for several days until the swelling went down. The other bad attack I saw was when I passed a guy face down in the dirt. He wrecked his motorcycle - not wearing a helmet. He looked dead. His buddy turned him over and his face was missing a lot of skin and it had fireants crawling all over it. I called an ambulance and never knew what happened to him - that combination was quite grotesque.

The other good news is that fire ants can be controled with a variety of products you can get and Lowes or Home Depot. The chemicals smell bad but work great. If you just stay on top of your treatment of mounds everytime one pops up, you will have little to no problems with fireants....unless your neighbor has big mounds in his yard that he won't treat. Then you have a real problem.

Last edited by Prichard; 07-23-2007 at 12:51 PM..

Old 07-23-2007, 01:04 PM

138 posts, read 567,764 times
Quote:
Oh my Godddddddddddd!!!!!!!!! Someone said they lived in Lawrenceville for 9 years in a quote and never saw deer. They didn't mention the "Dancing Bears"! You would have to tell me that!!!

That was me. I'm still here and still haven't seen a deer

Janette what communities are you guys looking at in Lawrenceville?

Old 07-24-2007, 09:39 AM

1,088 posts, read 5,919,099 times
Interesting story.

Driver strikes bear on I-75 | ajc.com (broken link)

Old 07-24-2007, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxman777 View Post
Interesting story.

Driver strikes bear on I-75 | ajc.com (broken link)
I heard he was on his way to Lawrenceville before he got hit, too.

Old 07-24-2007, 02:32 PM

3,258 posts, read 8,218,011 times
Quote:
I am guilty of screaming when I see critters. I am "beary" sorry atlantagreg30127 didn't mean to be so rude,impolite or loud -- just shocked!) When someone mentioned bears in a quote, I thought they were kidding. I see why you have high "reputation points" -- you are one of the voices of reason on the forum. A condominium on the 8th floor of in the middle of downtown Atlanta sounds like a great idea, if I were married to Donald Trump.
Actually, unless you are going luxury- Downtown can be pretty reasonable. I don't know prices off hand, but we saw some very pretty townhouses near IKEA the other day. I would live there if we didn't have a lease.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or