U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2007, 07:17 AM

20 posts, read 97,513 times

Advertisements

CRAB TRAP!

a lot of college grads hang out there...any restaurant that stays open later with a bar will suit your need just fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2007, 12:18 PM

6 posts, read 13,793 times
I've lived here for four years and I don't think people are generally snooty at all. Well, sure there are individuals like that, but you'll find that anywhere you go. There is definitely a different vibe on the island than in Brunswick, but you'll have to decide for yourself which you prefer. Real estate is a lot more affordable in Brunswick of course. If you are a beach-y type person, check out the beach at Jekyll. It's much nicer than East Beach IMO.

In terms of young people type places to hang out, I'm probably not the one to ask since I've left that phase of life behind me!

However, the Village Inn and Pub seems to draw a pretty big crowd (village across from DQ). Also, Murphy's Tavern (right there on Mallory) is always hopping. We used to go there when we were young and single. Too smoky though IMO. Just down from Murphys is an awesome pizza place. Very tiny, so hard to get a seat, but the pizza is great. We were desperately in need of a good pizza place. (They don't take credit cards though, so have cash handy!) There's a new coffee shop in the village also. Very good coffee, have music on weekends. They also just opened a little bar in the back which has great beer on tap. Tiny though. Then they have outside seating in the courtyard and they have bbq (which I haven't tasted yet, but sure did smell good). There is also a new place over by the movie theater called Tramici's. It's italian and I have quite enjoyed it. We were there on a weekend night with our kids, and there seemed to be quite the lively "going out" type of crowd there. I personally don't like places like the Crab Trap just because I find them too touristy. And I would avoid the new Coastal Kitchen place by the marina. We've tried eating there three times and have never had good service. Utterly awful service to be honest. It's really too bad since it's in a gorgeous location. And they have a great outside deck area where they have music. So much potential!

Re: Glynn County schools. The superintendent is relatively new and there have been some significant changes since he came on board. Also, last year, a new school board was voted in, and they seem to be making a lot of positive changes also. The county just recently passed a ESPLOST tax (1% county sales tax) to fund infrastructure improvements in the schools. I know the elementary schools on the island are very good, and there are also good elementary schools in Brunswick. The junior highs have a pretty bad reputation but they seem to be working hard to improve them.

Oh, and have no worries about "traffic". My husband works in Brunswick and drives on the causeway every day. I think he's only been caught in bad traffic (due to an accident on the causeway) about five times. They recently changed the lanes on the causeway so that there is a turn lane for those left hand turns that caused most of the problems. If you are coming from Atlanta, you will never see here what you would consider traffic, LOL!

Good luck!

Old 07-31-2007, 03:25 PM

387 posts, read 1,467,345 times
wow, thanks for the very thorough answers.

I've been to the crab trap. it's decent... i like the hush pups, but i can see how its a lot of younger touristy people.

im definitely a beach person. when we were just there this weekend (ugh rained the entire time) we went to a public access beach just near the lighthouse.. uh i didnt like it. i guess we were in an inlet, because the water was like lake water. no waves.. sand wasnt good..

the beach by sea island is nice, that's where we were staying this weekend and would probably stay for a LITTLE bit if we move down. i will have to check out the beaches on jekyll.

thank you guys very much. i really like the "FEEL" down there. its not florida, but its MUCH better than atlanta for me now.

ps. i almost wept when i realized we spent a total of 120$ in gas and 11 hours in the car just to get to the beach this weekend... it killed the florida girl in me.

Old 08-01-2007, 06:24 AM

6 posts, read 13,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mg83 View Post

im definitely a beach person. when we were just there this weekend (ugh rained the entire time) we went to a public access beach just near the lighthouse.. uh i didnt like it. i guess we were in an inlet, because the water was like lake water. no waves.. sand wasnt good..

The beach you are talking about in the village isn't quite a "beach". That body of water is very highly trafficked by the freighters going in/out of the Brunswick harbor since that area between SSI and Jekyll is the shipping lane. It disappears at high tide. The beaches on SSI aren't as large as they used to be (erosion, etc.). My husband has been coming to SSI since he was a child and the beach in front of the King & Prince (yummy Sunday brunch btw) used to go all the way out to the sand bar break that you can see out there.

Too bad about the rain on your weekend trip! But, we really need the rain a lot. We've been having a bad drought.

Old 10-19-2007, 02:44 PM

1 posts, read 1,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenn2412 View Post
I am 22, and don't live in Glynn Co, but I do live in the county below. You'd be surprised how many young people right out of college live there. There is a lot to do, especially when you get over the drinking age.

You already know about Brunswick.....Glynn Co. schools in general are bad. If you had to choose though, Glynn Academy is BY FAR your best choice. St. Simons has their own private school called Fredrica Academy so the rich folks' children don't have to mix with the local inner-city kids. It houses grades K-12, and is relatively small. A LOT of people bus their children down to Camden (the county below) because the school system is ranked one of the best in the state. A lot of teachers drive up from Fern. or Jax.

My only complaint with SSI is how snotty people are. Most have lived on the island their whole life....If you can make friends easily, I'd say go for it!! You'll definately end up knowing everbody there eventually, as it is such a small community. Hope this helps!
Sorry, but I get the impression you know little or nothing about Brunswick and St. Simons. The home grown residents of Saint Simons are disappearing and the greatest minority asset on the Island. I was there when the Island had one police car. It isn't them causing the traffic jams at noon. There are some private schools in Brunswick that just graduating from there will fast track you into geting into some prestigious colleges. And your comment about (A LOT) of people busing their kids to Camden county school is a over generalization at best.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia