U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2007, 08:25 AM

387 posts, read 1,467,121 times

Advertisements

I'd like to get basically any 'real people' information on Glynn Co., specifically for younger people looking to live on St. Simons. I understand the issues with Brunswick... right now the only thing I think of when I think of Brunswick is the Christopher Barrios murder... and Willie's Weenie Wagon.

Please give me the low-down on Glynn Co. schools. Not because we have children, but from a potential teacher's perspective. I looked at Glynn Co's pay schedule and they actually pay very well... are they trying to entice qualified teachers to move down (or up from Jax) there? I wouldn't mind working in some of the elementary schools with students from low SES's.

Also regarding St. Simons. I know its not exactly a haven of young people, but thats okay. Basically we're looking for the antithesis of Atlanta. Quiet, smaller, relaxed, and by the sea... but still able to access an international airport... especially Jax because of Southwest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2007, 12:37 PM

20 posts, read 97,496 times
I am 22, and don't live in Glynn Co, but I do live in the county below. You'd be surprised how many young people right out of college live there. There is a lot to do, especially when you get over the drinking age.

You already know about Brunswick.....Glynn Co. schools in general are bad. If you had to choose though, Glynn Academy is BY FAR your best choice. St. Simons has their own private school called Fredrica Academy so the rich folks' children don't have to mix with the local inner-city kids. It houses grades K-12, and is relatively small. A LOT of people bus their children down to Camden (the county below) because the school system is ranked one of the best in the state. A lot of teachers drive up from Fern. or Jax.

My only complaint with SSI is how snotty people are. Most have lived on the island their whole life....If you can make friends easily, I'd say go for it!! You'll definately end up knowing everbody there eventually, as it is such a small community. Hope this helps!

Old 07-23-2007, 01:27 PM

111 posts, read 825,782 times
I wouldn't be so quick to mark Brunswick off your list. For starters, the cost of living is significantly better on the mainland. In addition, St. Simons definitely has a touristy feel to it; whereas, Brunswick has more warmth and hometown feel. If you stroll through downtown Brunswick, everyone seems to know each other and lend a hand to each other.

As far as schools go, yes, there's MUCH room for improvement, but there is a relatively new superintendent in town who is making a lot of progress. Teachers are backing him and moral is high. I think things are definitely taking a turn for the better.

Old 07-23-2007, 07:28 PM

Thanks for the responses. I figured, just by looking at Glynn County's schools Web site, that there was a new sheriff in town, so to speak...

The only thing is, I'm not understand the salary schedules for Camden county schools. Either way, you make more in Glynn county... whatever that's worth.

What would the drive be like from SSI to some elementary schools in Camden county? Bad? I'm coming from Atlanta... so that's relative.

I won't discount Brunswick, but I really want to be as close to the beach as possible.

As far as snotty younger people, are they mostly moving down from UGA? Georgia Southern? Or what? I found Atlanta to be super snobby. Maybe it's a Georgia THANG.

Old 07-24-2007, 01:21 PM

I don't know a thing about the salary differences between Glynn and Camden...

SSI to woodbine elementary (which is in camden--just in the north end of the county) you'd be looking about 20 minutes...I heard that Dover Bluff was getting an elementary school at some point (which is even more north end of the county), but I don't know if it was ever built...
Coming from ATL, you definately wouldn't have to worry about traffic in this area!!

Brunswick is not far from the beach at all, especially if you live close to the causeway....cross that bridge though and prices JUMP.

I wouldn't say the young people are snotty, more the older generation who has been there forever. the older ladys who belong to one of the many golf clubs you'll find on the island. I would say the younger generation comes from Valdosta State and Georgia Southern...not too many UGAers that I know of....Mainly its people from ATL who don't want to go back to ATL and want to stay in a "classy" part of the south! No offense to you, but I am totally anti-atlanta. I find them to be extreamly snudy (sp)...

Old 07-24-2007, 01:28 PM

111 posts, read 825,782 times
I suspect that the "snobby people" that Jenn is referring to are the folks with old money and the society page crowd. Not my cup of tea, so I'm not bothered by it so much.

I gotta say that being snobby is not at all a Georgia THANG. Maybe you just haven't landed in the right spot yet.

I'm not sure about the salary difference between Camden and Glynn Co. I have a friend who works with both districts....I'll post later if I get any more info in that area. I do know that Camden attracts a lot of teachers from NE FL. However, I also know a teacher that has waited for 2 years to get a job at Satilla Marsh Elem. in Glynn Co. Word is that you have to wait for a teacher to retire or die to get a spot there. LOL!!!

Commuting from SSI to Camden: You'll truly have flashbacks to Atl. when you're on the SSI causeway (coming on/off the island) on business days during traditional rush hours. The problem is that the whole causeway gets backed up if there's a wreck, so it's not uncommon to have to call in to work and tell them that you won't be there until 10 am or so. If traffic is flowing okay, then the commute from SSI to Camden would probably be 45 min - 1 hr.

I strongly suggest that you come check it out for yourself. Make sure that you come after school starts (Aug. 15th) and drive during those rush hour times over the causeway. It's not like sitting on I-75 for 2 hours, but somedays you do want to pull your hair out.

Old 07-24-2007, 01:53 PM

Thanks again for the responses.

I'm actually not originally from the Atlanta area. I graduated, moved here last year, and think it's the worst.

I moved from N/NE Florida. I've been to SSI and Sea Island. I understand it's the snooty crowd from Atlanta on Sea Island. I actually perceived SSI to be... not as snooty. I don't know, just my opinion.

I'd probably start off in Glynn Co. just because it appears they need teachers more than Camden. Hopefully with a master's degree I can get something, although my degree isn't in early ed. Oh well.

The traffic HAS to be better than up here... it just has to. Not only that, but its so much smaller. Hopefully I won't be getting lost 10 months after moving...

Old 07-24-2007, 02:04 PM

we south georgians complain when we have to wait more than 2 turns of a red light to get through an intersection! you'll think SSI traffic is a joke compared to the crap in ATL. i dunno how everyone isn't on anxiety medicine there...

its impossible to get lost on the island! its pretty touristy so no one will be able to tell if you're a tourist or a resident, if you do happen to get lost! i wouldn't worry about that though. if you can survive without getting lost in the mess we call our capital, i think you can do pretty much anything!

good luck!

Old 07-27-2007, 09:00 PM

100 posts, read 323,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mg83 View Post
Thanks again for the responses.

I'd probably start off in Glynn Co. just because it appears they need teachers more than Camden. Hopefully with a master's degree I can get something, although my degree isn't in early ed. Oh well.
I think you are right about Glynn needing teachers. I have a friend that did a year up there after she graduated since she could not get on in Camden. She said that they prefer to hire teachers with some experience. She got on in Glynn County pretty easily. She worked in one of the poorer areas of town and said that it was actually pretty rewarding. She had 3rd graders and said that they were pretty appreciative of whatever you gave them and enjoyed the extra attention a new teacher was giviing her students. After that year she was offered a job in Camden County at the school down the block from her house so she took it. The cost of gas and the extra time on the road was getting to her. But she did enjoy working in Glynn.

Old 07-28-2007, 03:01 PM

Thanks for the info.

We are here now, on SSI. I've been before, I really enjoy it. Of course, the beaches are nothing like I am used to in Florida, but for now, we are stuck in Georgia (...attached to an attorney, or, someone who just took the Georgia bar and is not GUNG HO about taking another state's bar in Feb.)

Anyway, the thing I am worried about is... "nightlife" so to say. I'm not talking like clubbing South Beach style, but where do young people go? By young I mean mid-late 20s, not 18.

Help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia