U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2008, 02:39 PM

11 posts, read 42,339 times

Advertisements

I would stay away from Blue Ridge, Blairsville, Young Harris, and Hiawassee. The crime is much much higher than you'll see reported anywhere. Its also cliquish - or more aptly stated, Klannish.

You "ain't from around there" and as so many found out too late ... you never will be. You won't be welcomed - if anything, you'll be resented. Same is true for Lake Burton where much of those lots and houses around Lake B are payola to current and former government officials for "favors" to Southern Company, Delta and Coca Cola.

For safety and sanity reasons, stay closer to Atlanta.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2009, 05:16 PM

5 posts, read 16,104 times
Default I am looking at a position at the college

Hi Ollie thanks so much for the information you shared regarding Young Harris adn its surrounding areas.

We have 2 children a 3 year old adn a 7 year old adn we are in our mid 40's. Our first mission is to find a good school for the kids. Of the areas you mention which is the most progressive. To help you understand the places we would like to live in Ithaca NY, Athens GA, are examples. We love diversityas our children are Guatemalan adn we are biracial. We enjoy the arts.
Where do the professors children go to school.
Are there any private schools, montessori ect

The areas you mentioned how far are they from Young Harris.
Thanks for all you can share

Gregory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie1946 View Post
I suggest you contact Young Harris College first. They are in the process of transitioning from a 2 year to a 4 year institution. You might find something there though I imagine the locals find out about such work first and get the nod first. But that is just speculation. As someone else pointed out, the healthcare industry is growing in the area due to influx of retirees.

I would say to you that you are more likely to find something in Rabun County (Clayton). But here's the deal, you need to explore, explore, explore from Blue Ridge to Blairsville to Young Harris to Hiwassee, to Hayesville, NC to Clayton (Rabun County) and throw in Murphy, NC. Any of that area is gorgeous but getting more crowded all the time relative to 20 years ago. I know, what isn't. Find a quality area and people flock there.

We left the area after 2 years because of too much isolation and inconvenience. We thought the beauty and bucolic life would carry us thru, but it didn't. Plus, we missed our friends and moved back to our present location.

Ask more questions if you like.

Old 01-18-2009, 05:21 PM

5 posts, read 16,104 times
Would love to hear Ollies response to this message that was just posted. Unfortunately I cannot respond as I do not know the area. However I am shocked that we still have places less than a few hours away from a major metropolis where feelings of this nature exist!

"I would stay away from Blue Ridge, Blairsville, Young Harris, and Hiawassee. The crime is much much higher than you'll see reported anywhere. Its also cliquish - or more aptly stated, Klannish.

You "ain't from around there" and as so many found out too late ... you never will be. You won't be welcomed - if anything, you'll be resented. Same is true for Lake Burton where much of those lots and houses around Lake B are payola to current and former government officials for "favors" to Southern Company, Delta and Coca Cola.

For safety and sanity reasons, stay closer to Atlanta"

Old 01-19-2009, 11:04 AM

150 posts, read 426,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rerooster View Post
I would stay away from Blue Ridge, Blairsville, Young Harris, and Hiawassee. The crime is much much higher than you'll see reported anywhere. Its also cliquish - or more aptly stated, Klannish.

Very good advice but all the places she metioned Helen Georgia would probally be the best. It is actually a quiet Tourist town where outsiders are more welcomed.

Old 01-19-2009, 07:50 PM

1,474 posts, read 3,187,038 times
Default Where to live?

To Mossbrg,

You would not be uncomfortable on the campus of Young Harris which just recently got approval to go 4 year. There are a handful of minority students that go to school there, but a mere handful. I am not aware of any minority faculty. In fact, I still do not believe any minorities live in Towns County and only a very few in Rabun County that others have mentioned.

As it turns out, I live in Athens, GA which is very diverse in just about every respect. The problem with Athens-Clarke County is a very poor public school system. Due to that, you will find several private schools to include Montessorie, Catholic, three other Christian, Athens Academy (very pricey). The best public schools are in adjacent Oconee County.

I hate to say it, but I doubt you would feel all that comfortable in NE Georgia though there are some Latinos living in the area. However, with the economy shot, they may have migrated from the area.

I do not for a moment think you would be in any danger in that area, but the social life could be tough. Contrary to another poster, crime in that area compared to other parts of GA, especially metro areas, is nonexistent. Yes, your home might be burglarized as vacation homes can be, but violent crime is virtually unheard of.

We lived up in Young Harris for 2 years and finally had to move back to Athens due to medical facilities, social life, conveniences. You can only eat a the local buffets so often and then it gets old.

From Athens, you can be up in the mountains in 2 hours. Helen, less.

Feel free to email me directly and I will try and answer your questions though my answers might be more speculative.

All the best.

Old 01-19-2009, 07:59 PM

3,972 posts, read 11,333,215 times
I have visited Towns County Schools before (up that way) and there were so few minorities (really none). Most of N. Georgia isn't very diverse.

Have you considered Ashville NC?

Old 01-21-2009, 08:35 PM

11 posts, read 71,666 times
Well the only way for North Georgia to GET diverse is for more people like this family to move here - so bring 'em on!

Blue Ridge, Blairsville and the other towns around it ARE changing, despite what some may think - they are coming to grips right now with how to grow tastefully, while maintaining the small town charm and natural beauty that attract people to the area, so you might find a unique opportunity to participate in those debates and helping shape the future of the region, should you so desire. Sure, the area still has its share of people running around decrying all the positive changes going on (many of them are running around on this very message board trying to intimidate and keep newcomers away via cyberspace), new people moving in and basically the area catching up with the rest of the world, but hey, that's life. And the reality is, that these disgruntled souls are the minority in the area - most people get along wonderfully. Come check out the whole region and visit several of the towns - they each have some unique features and things that make them unique. Also, each of the towns being discussed has its own colony of "ex-pats" so-to-speak, consisting of newcomers who band together and seek each other on common interests, etc. The newcomers can band together just like the old-timers if needed, I guess.

Asheville is for sure a cool city, but if you want a smaller place with beautiful scenery nearby and closeby (1-1.5 hours) access to all Atlanta has to offer (a much larger city than Asheville, large hub international airport, etc.) via good roads, you might like one of the smaller North Georgia towns.

Old 01-23-2009, 06:42 PM

207 posts, read 853,211 times
Yankees have ruined the North Georgia mountains!

Old 01-23-2009, 09:06 PM

76 posts, read 188,306 times
Quote:

I am a Young Harris local girl and I have got to say that is just NOT true! People are accepted here for who they are, not where they're from. Granted we have our fair share of idiots in that department but that's any small town, not just here.
All you need to know is don't be a jerk and don't come in trying to change 101 things about our town. The main and only reason for outsiders not being accepted are when they come in and start trying to change the status quo. It's usually something like a new person from up north, or from Florida moves in next door and starts griping about dogs, chicken houses, cars on the property.... etc.
That's what inflames people here.
If you like our local culture and want to take the town for what it is and not try to change it you'll be accepted and liked just fine.
Besides, we're in a great area! We are 2 hrs from Atlanta, 2 1/2 hours from Asheville and about 2 hours from Chattanooga, you can take day trips to the cities and still live in the country.

Don't let one person scare you away. I'd be willing to bet the person saying we are "klanish" is one of those "klanish" people trying to keep new folks out. As long as you're a nice person you will be welcomed. We're a nice bunch here.

Old 01-24-2009, 03:27 PM

262 posts, read 505,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rerooster View Post

Thats a crock of s##t!.I'm from England and have been living here now 2 years and when I first got here almost everbody was cool with me,its just like anywere you visit if you act like an ignorant dummy you'll get treated like one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia