Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2007, 10:37 PM

1 posts, read 4,650 times

Advertisements

LeavinFlorida, If you are still out there, would you please let me know if you ended up moving to Sterling on the Lake? I am thinking of moving my family from Alpharetta and would really appreciate your feedback on life in Flowery Branch. We LOVE Sterling on the Lake, but I am concerned about schools and church. Thanks!! Anniewhitt
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2007, 08:13 AM

2 posts, read 9,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavinFlorida View Post
You know I am pretty freaked out hearing about how bad it is there. I thought moving to GA would be a better place for kids. I Live in a beautiful area in South Florida and the schools are awesome BUT prices for everything is ridiculous. Insurance, homes, taxes. between that and the hurricanes - we thought it was time to find somewhere new. I don't want my middle schooler drinking and doing god knows what. And i don't want my elementary daughter who is a good student to be bored in class. I just invisioned it to be different.This is just not what I want for my kids.
Does anyone have a different view or should i just steer clear??????
Dear LeavinFlorida,

I just moved up from Delray Beach and could not be happier. My wife and I are true 3 generation Floridians and still have all our family in Delray/Ft Lauderdale areas. We are living on the west side of Atlanta while we sell our Florida home (located off Swinton) and our Georgia home where we live now. This is so we can move to Sterling on the Lake. As far as kids parting...well I went to Westminster Academy many years ago and we partied pretty good then.

We left SFL to provide a better life for our kids. We lived in a great location but could have never upgraded our home and lifestyle. Insurance and taxes; taxes would have killed us.

Old 05-29-2007, 08:17 AM

2 posts, read 9,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavinFlorida View Post
ready to move - you are so right.
I love fla but i'm ready for a change.

I visited the ice rink in Duluth - while its NOT incredible ice (and that is his home rink), my son plays travel and so far every rink in the area we've been to doesnt compare. Pines, Glacier, Lake Worth, they are in the same category as The ice forum in Duluth so i guess that really wont matter too much. I'm more concerned with the element of the kids and the drinking & partying that you say is going on there.
Does anyone know of any good non religious private schools?
By the way Im italian, I haven't seen any catholic churchs around. where are they?

Whats with Alpharetta? I read many people saying that its nice, is it near roswell? how far from Hamilton Mill area?
There's a Catholic Church right outside the Sterling on the Lake entrance.

Old 10-18-2007, 02:47 PM

3 posts, read 44,225 times
Hi,
My family and I are planning to move to Flowery Branch, GA at Sterling on the Lake. Where would you suggest that we look for jobs, where the commute is not so bad. I hear traffic is horrible. Also, we are Hispanics, I hear there is still a lot of racism going on. Is this true? How is Flowery Branch?

Old 10-18-2007, 07:03 PM

1,501 posts, read 5,102,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdiago View Post
Hi,
My family and I are planning to move to Flowery Branch, GA at Sterling on the Lake. Where would you suggest that we look for jobs, where the commute is not so bad. I hear traffic is horrible. Also, we are Hispanics, I hear there is still a lot of racism going on. Is this true? How is Flowery Branch?
Hall County has a large population of Hispanics (about 25 %; 50% in Gainesville), but they are generally Mexicans, with a large population of illegal immigrants. I have heard from non-Mexican Hispanics in Hall County that they get kind of tired of being thought of as "Mexicans" or illegals. On the bright side, traffic is not bad in Hall County, yet. Gainesville would be a good place to look for jobs for a not-so-bad commute.

Old 11-09-2007, 07:47 AM

3 posts, read 44,225 times
Thank you so much OhioNative for the response. It is very helpful. We are very excited to be moving there. How would you say schools are there? we have a 18month old baby girl so no immediate needs for schools at this time but I would need a day care or private school where they start accepting toddlers? Is there a Montessori school in Flowery Branch?

Old 12-25-2007, 03:52 AM

1 posts, read 4,389 times
Hi, I'm looking to move to the Flowery Branch, GA. How is the crime, is there any transportation. I currently live on Long Island where I can easily get a bus or find a Supermarket. Are the people well mannered? how is life in general there?

Hooya

Old 12-25-2007, 07:35 AM

1,501 posts, read 5,102,565 times
Flowery Branch is a formerly "country" area that is becoming more suburban. No public transportation - the area consists of spread out subdivisions, most on larger size lots. It is still very southern - it will likely be culture shock from someone from Long Island.

Old 12-25-2007, 10:08 AM

17 posts, read 65,224 times
I moved to Flowery Branch from the Denver area and found it relaxing. There are a few folks in the area I live that are from the New York/New Jersey area who like the area as well.

You have to find what is comfortable for you and what type of atmosphere you would like to live. Shopping is decent, there is a fairly large mall about 8 miles to the South and a small shopping center within 3-5 miles depending on where you decide to live. There is not much in the way of diversity and you will find the Schools are relatively good. You will not find public transporatation in this area so if you plan on commuting via any mass transit then hang it up. If you enjoy fishing, there is Lake Lanier and parks that are nearby.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia