U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2009, 03:26 PM

23,120 posts, read 36,706,815 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhsrichards View Post
I guess when i say creepy looking areas i mean that in the south GA cities there are just so many parts of town which have got to be some of the scariest and most crime-ridden areas of GA. There are places where I wouldn't even want to stop for a stop sign for fear of being shot or carjacked. This mainly happens in places like Macon, Savannah, and Brunswick, but I have also seen it in smaller towns as well.
What? Ignorance is not bliss.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2009, 03:35 PM

117 posts, read 462,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10pawpaw10 View Post
Disabled grandparents with 9yr old granson relocating to Americus GA. What's it like?
Americus is a city of around 17,000. It has a very nice downtown area, and a historical district with very nice homes. Americus-Sumter Schools are okay, I know a lot of people go to the private school there, Southland Academy or to neighboring Schley County Public Schools, however they are somewhat strict who they let in, based on testing scores, etc.

Americus is located within easy access to 3 major cities Albany (30+ miles South) Columbus, GA (55 miles + miles Northwest) and Macon, GA (63+ miles North)

Welcome to Americus, GA

Americus Times-Recorder, Americus, Georgia - Homepage

Sumter County Schools - Homepage (http://www.sumterschools.org/home.aspx - broken link)

Southland Academy - Welcome

Schley County Schools - Homepage (http://www.schleyk12.org/home.aspx - broken link)

Old 06-23-2009, 07:16 PM

1,916 posts, read 4,204,704 times
lmfao@jhsrichards .....Macon is middle GA...not south GA.

But anyway, I prefer south ga by FAR.

I like the "flatness", I love wild adventures (more than six flags), I love the high school football atmosphere, the proximity to FLA, the beaches, and being young and black, I love the amount of country black girls 18-22 that I can talk to that seem to have their heads on their shoulders more than the ones I meet in Macon.

North GA = ATL (I like bigger sized cities, like Macon or a little larger, but ATL is TOO big for me), mountains (nice to look at, but not really for me to live in or near), most of the towns have very low AA populations, so I would feel out of place, and probably unwanted by locals in most of the towns.

Old 10-23-2010, 02:17 PM

4 posts, read 9,564 times
Northern Georgia is definitely alot nicer than Southern Georgia. The northern-half of the metro area is fairly suburban and not very crime-infested unless you're on certain parts of Buford Highway. Southern Georgia, as well as the southern-half of the Atlanta metro area (Middle Georgia) are slums. There are a few nicer small towns, but for the most part, the area is full of drug addicts and gangs, and the middle class are generally very conservative and obnoxious, so any sort of social reform is out of the picture. In my opinion, I would say, move to North Georgia and don't go south of Atlanta.

Old 10-23-2010, 04:20 PM

1,940 posts, read 8,437,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expensivetaste12 View Post
Northern Georgia is definitely alot nicer than Southern Georgia. The northern-half of the metro area is fairly suburban and not very crime-infested unless you're on certain parts of Buford Highway. Southern Georgia, as well as the southern-half of the Atlanta metro area (Middle Georgia) are slums. There are a few nicer small towns, but for the most part, the area is full of drug addicts and gangs, and the middle class are generally very conservative and obnoxious, so any sort of social reform is out of the picture. In my opinion, I would say, move to North Georgia and don't go south of Atlanta.
your mom's from south georgia.

Old 10-23-2010, 04:52 PM

2,399 posts, read 3,694,954 times
I like all parts of the state.

Last edited by Stars&StripesForever; 10-23-2010 at 05:00 PM..

Old 10-23-2010, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by THASPECIAL View Post
Thanx for "ALL" the replies.....im not saying i hate either area at all.......i just get bored driving through the southern part of Georgia when i go through but at least it isnt as bad as driving through west Texas on the way to California......i lived in North, Central, and South Florida so i can appreciate the feeling of Southern Georgia since i lived in Lake City Florida and White Springs Florida because it kinda feels the same around Valdosta Georgia and the other small towns in that part of Georgia, and i can also relate to the Northern part of Georgia to having lived in Miami i can relate to Atlanta and the Dalton area just has a home feel to it but i dont think i will move there anytime soon.....i just wanted to see a locals point of view and maybe other people can tell me thier experiences just having driven through the area as well....thanx
Dalton is home to an invasionary force that has nearly destroyed that city, in many respects, and has all but destroyed its public school system. That's what an illegal invasion of Mexicans will do. Very few of those Mexicans are actually citizens.

Old 10-23-2010, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by expensivetaste12 View Post
The southern half of metro Atlanta is still in North Georgia, not middle Georgia. Macon is in middle Georgia.

Old 11-14-2010, 04:07 PM

19 posts, read 55,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhsrichards View Post
I guess when i say creepy looking areas i mean that in the south GA cities there are just so many parts of town which have got to be some of the scariest and most crime-ridden areas of GA. There are places where I wouldn't even want to stop for a stop sign for fear of being shot or carjacked. This mainly happens in places like Macon, Savannah, and Brunswick, but I have also seen it in smaller towns as well.
This is true. I mean the small, small towns in Southern Georgia like say Tifton aren't bad. I can't speak for Brunswick, but Macon has a very nasty side that is on par with Atlanta and Savannah (more middle Georgia) is terrible for crime. I have personally seen a car burning in the Churches chicken parking lot across from the projects.
Also, my hometown Albany has a neighborhood called CME (crime execution and murder) by some residents. Mom was a social worker there so I've seen the worst of the worst. Poverty is really prevalent in Southern Georgia. People in rural areas just tend to be poorer no matter where you are. Not to say poor people are always criminals, but there is a correlation between poverty and crime.
Same story in North GA as well. Places like Dahlonega are METHED OUT!
Stick to the suburbs.

Old 11-24-2010, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by apeters8 View Post
This is true. I mean the small, small towns in Southern Georgia like say Tifton aren't bad. I can't speak for Brunswick, but Macon has a very nasty side that is on par with Atlanta and Savannah (more middle Georgia) is terrible for crime. I have personally seen a car burning in the Churches chicken parking lot across from the projects.
Also, my hometown Albany has a neighborhood called CME (crime execution and murder) by some residents. Mom was a social worker there so I've seen the worst of the worst. Poverty is really prevalent in Southern Georgia. People in rural areas just tend to be poorer no matter where you are. Not to say poor people are always criminals, but there is a correlation between poverty and crime.
Same story in North GA as well. Places like Dahlonega are METHED OUT!
Stick to the suburbs.
Macon is in Middle Georgia, not south Georgia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or