U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-15-2013, 08:09 PM
 
Location: The Mid South
304 posts, read 415,916 times
Reputation: 236

Advertisements

I live in North Ga. and have travelled the whole state. South Georgia was settled mostly from Savannah and Charleston whereas North Georgia was settled from N.C. Car. & E. Tenn., so the makeup of the people are different.
The one thing I don't like about South Georgia is that you get into the gnat zone along about Macon, that plus the no-see-ums can make life miserable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-15-2013, 11:20 PM
 
Location: Metro Atlanta & Savannah, GA - Corpus Christi, TX
4,515 posts, read 7,624,670 times
Reputation: 2295
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fortoggie View Post
I live in North Ga. and have travelled the whole state. South Georgia was settled mostly from Savannah and Charleston whereas North Georgia was settled from N.C. Car. & E. Tenn., so the makeup of the people are different.
Aren't those the same people? (Europeans & Africans) Those in North & South GA ultimately came from the same place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fortoggie View Post
The one thing I don't like about South Georgia is that you get into the gnat zone along about Macon, that plus the no-see-ums can make life miserable.
No-see-ums and gnats are synonymous..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-16-2013, 04:32 AM
 
Location: Columbus/East Alabama.
130 posts, read 209,443 times
Reputation: 91
Being from Columbus, I'm not sure if we'd be considered south Georgia or not I know some classify as being south Georgia some call us central Georgia, the ones I've heard the most are west central Ga, and southwest though not as much as west central, but if anybody really has a clue what geographic area my city is in let me know Id appreciate that honestly lol. But back onto the subject one thing I'll give north Georgia is this that they actually have cold winters atleast when I was there, I'm pretty sure those from my city as well as others can tell you for the most part it's hardly ever cold it feels like spring or summer most of the year and it finally is summer it's extremely hot most of the time. Though most of us are used to that, when I lived in Douglasville for a little minute that was in early 2010 and I still to this day have never seen that much snow in my life but that's just me though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-17-2013, 12:18 AM
 
Location: Atlanta
1,034 posts, read 1,093,570 times
Reputation: 1638
I have lived in North and South Ga and I like a little about each. North Ga has the Mts and cooler weather and of course Atlanta. South Ga is more swampy and flat. Then there is the coastal part of south Ga where it reminds me of south Carolina.low country. I have to say I prefer Northern ga just because its not as hot in the summer I hate those Gnats!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-18-2013, 12:58 PM
 
811 posts, read 869,036 times
Reputation: 461
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross706 View Post
Being from Columbus, I'm not sure if we'd be considered south Georgia or not I know some classify as being south Georgia some call us central Georgia, the ones I've heard the most are west central Ga, and southwest though not as much as west central, but if anybody really has a clue what geographic area my city is in let me know Id appreciate that honestly lol. But back onto the subject one thing I'll give north Georgia is this that they actually have cold winters atleast when I was there, I'm pretty sure those from my city as well as others can tell you for the most part it's hardly ever cold it feels like spring or summer most of the year and it finally is summer it's extremely hot most of the time. Though most of us are used to that, when I lived in Douglasville for a little minute that was in early 2010 and I still to this day have never seen that much snow in my life but that's just me though.
The state of Georgia, as a whole, is one of the warmest states in the nation. It is only cooler than Florida, Louisiana, and Hawaii.

However, this is because of south Georgia, which tends to be anywhere from ten to twenty-five degrees warmer that the northern part of the state during the winter, and around five to ten degrees warmer from the late spring to the early fall. Northern Georgia (Atlanta northward) tends to have comparable temperatures to Greenville, SC, Charlotte, NC, Raleigh, NC, and Chattanooga, TN, locations in states that have monthly temperature averages about five degrees cooler (because of South Georgia's warmth that averages out Georgia to be warmer).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-20-2013, 04:22 PM
 
Location: 30461
2,078 posts, read 1,299,400 times
Reputation: 534
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound of Reason View Post
The state of Georgia, as a whole, is one of the warmest states in the nation. It is only cooler than Florida, Louisiana, and Hawaii.

However, this is because of south Georgia, which tends to be anywhere from ten to twenty-five degrees warmer that the northern part of the state during the winter, and around five to ten degrees warmer from the late spring to the early fall. Northern Georgia (Atlanta northward) tends to have comparable temperatures to Greenville, SC, Charlotte, NC, Raleigh, NC, and Chattanooga, TN, locations in states that have monthly temperature averages about five degrees cooler (because of South Georgia's warmth that averages out Georgia to be warmer).
The numbers are skewed because the coastal plain region of south Georgia takes up over 60% of the state's total land area, and the mountain region is very small.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-20-2013, 04:28 PM
 
Location: 30461
2,078 posts, read 1,299,400 times
Reputation: 534
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fortoggie View Post
I live in North Ga. and have travelled the whole state. South Georgia was settled mostly from Savannah and Charleston whereas North Georgia was settled from N.C. Car. & E. Tenn., so the makeup of the people are different.
The one thing I don't like about South Georgia is that you get into the gnat zone along about Macon, that plus the no-see-ums can make life miserable.
Charleston is in South Carolina. Most of the population growth occurring down here right now is coming from the coastal/southeast regions. And yes, the gnats are annoying, but can be delt with by sticking dryer softeners to your head.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-13-2017, 05:26 PM
 
1 posts, read 403 times
Reputation: 10
Default Valdosta ga

Is valdosta ga good place to.live for a family?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top