Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2007, 07:12 AM

22 posts, read 91,485 times

Advertisements

Does anyone posting on this list live on or near Jekyll or has anyone recently visited Jekyll? Since last Spring we've been reading stories about development on the island with mentions of hotels/motels/restaurants closing. Anyone out there ACTUALLY know going on in terms of places to stay or restaurants.

We visited Jekyll before Christmas last year and hope to go back this Christmas as well, but are concerned that recent changes might affect our Christmas vacation.

Saw a post from 2006 about the possibility of renting a cottage or house on the beach. Can anyone recommend something small that is actually on the beach? We have to travel with our small dog and cat. The motel where we stayed last year was pretty ratty (including virtually no housekeeping, roaches, etc) but was on the beach and had a great view with a glass wall and sliding door. The Jekyll Island Club was great for Sunday brunch and seafood on the little wharf, but it appears that the place at one of the motels where we got breakfast everyday is closing or already closed.

St. Simon is too developed for our taste and while St. Mary's near the beach is charming, that AREA is not really to our taste either.

thanks for any information or suggestions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2007, 11:53 AM

111 posts, read 867,360 times
The only change you should see is that the Bucanneer will be closed. There will be construction going on for a new condo/hotel in the old Bucanneer/Holiday Inn site. Not sure what you're talking about as far as a restaurant closing. The Club Hotel is alive and kicking.

As far as bringing a pet, I feel certain that you'll have to arrange that with a private rental co. There are plenty of beach rentals, but I'd reserve early for the Christmas season.

Here's a recent article about developmental projects on Jekyll: Brunswick News article.

Regarding restaurants, I've never been a fan of the restaurants on Jekyll. The Club Hotel is okay "if you like that kind of thing". Let me know if you want suggestions for other restaurants in the area, i.e. in Brunswick, St. Simons Is., Darien.

Old 07-21-2007, 07:25 AM

Hi "Pink"..thanks for your help withinformation on Jekyll, especially with including the link to the article in the Brunswick newspaper. I sure WOULD appreciate any restaruant suggestions in Brunswick.

You're not familiar with Tybee by any chance, are you? We are planning a short trip to Tybee in October as I'd like to investigate that area, though my husband (who has been there) tells me that it's quite commercial.

We're hoping to get back to Jekyll for a week or so before Christmas.

Thanks again.

Oh, yeah...the restaurant situation on jekyll does leave something to be desired.

Old 07-21-2007, 07:34 AM

11,396 posts, read 24,449,916 times
I'm not sure commercial is the right word for Tybee. It's not a natural oasis but it still has a bit of a funky side that keeps it from being a mainstream vacation destination (thank goodness). And if you don't like it, no one will beg you to come back.

Old 07-23-2007, 08:10 AM

Ellie, thanks for chiming in. It's reassuring that you think that "commercial" is not the right word for Tybee. I'm looking for information on Tybee because I have great hopes. Tybee is 200 miles from us. I know that 200 miles is not a long distance to a lot of people, but it is to us.

I'm hoping to find either a hotel or motel in Tybee that is really right on the beach (by this I mean that we can open the door to our room and be ON the beach). I'd like a place that is not far from restaurants, so we don't have to load up the dog and cat and drive somewhere to get a meal. If you have any ideas of places to stay, restaurants to try, I sure would appreciate them.

My long term goal is to find a place where my husband and I can return to regularly -- sort of a "second home" (as we're not in a financial position to BUY a second home.

Again, if you have ANY suggestions, I sure would appreciate them.

Thanks.

I love it that you said that Tybee has a funky side and that it's NOT a mainstream vacation destination.

Old 07-25-2007, 05:11 PM

Yes, you can find all of those things on Tybee. It's not cheap, but probably no more expensive than Jekyll, especially in the off season. There are a number of excellent places to eat, most within bike riding distance.

I go out there and visit friends almost every weekend, regardless of whether I actually go to the beach. LOL.

I suggest using Google Earth and looking at the motel locations that way. Most are on or near the beach. There are also condos and homes for rent. You should have no problem finding something you will enjoy.

I can't remember the names of any of the motels off the top of my head, since I just don't pay attention to things like that, but if you come up with a few names and pm me, I'll make sure and pay attention next time I'm there.

Old 07-25-2007, 11:09 PM

Ellie,

Thanks for your offer of suggestions. Sounds like you REALLY know the area, since you go almost every weekend.

We used to have a favorite beach town in California which we visited often. We knew three of the beach towns very well and one of them was a bit like a second home for us. We knew all the hotels, restaurants and things to do. We would LOVE to find an area in Georgia that could become a "second home" for us.

That "second home" idea is why I most likely conveyed mixed feelings about trying Tybee. Our only experience with a beach area in Georgia was in Jekyll last Christmas. We loved Jekyll itself. We loved visiting Brunswick and found the people very friendly and helpful. Our motel on Jekyll had a great location, right on the beach, but it's putting it mildly to say that the motel left a lot to be desired. Unfortunately, it's sometimes really difficult to find a nice place that takes pets. Trying to find one that is ACTUALLY on the beach can be harder. My husband was born and raised on the desert and just loves to be around the ocean.

I'm thinking of Tybee as a possibility for that "second home" (not that we could afford a "real" second home). My husband and I decided today to go ahead and plan for a trip to Tybee this October. Then, come December we can decide whether to go back to Jekyll or to Tybee. We have to plan our vacations during the cooler time because taking a dog and cat with us, we can't leave them in the van during the hotter months, so that cuts down on exploring.

We just love living in Georgia and if we could find an area around the ocean to visit, then that would be GREAT.

Thanks for your offer of assistance, it's greatly appreciated.

Old 07-26-2007, 04:29 AM

Even though you're leaning towards getting a motel (I noticed that there are two on the beach, towards the northern end of the island) you shouldn't rule out renting a house. Some of the older homes on Tybee have a lot of character. Nearly all are within walking distance of the beach.

The motels are motels.

There's also something lovely and beachy about hanging one's bathing suit and towels on an actual clothesline and feeling like one lives there.

Last edited by ellie; 07-26-2007 at 04:42 AM..

Old 07-26-2007, 01:13 PM

Well, thanks. Ellie. I think I'll take your suggestion and pursue the rental thing a bit more. Frankly, I would be THRILLED to find a small cottage not far from the water. When I was younger my family and I lived YEAR ROUND in what was essentially a SUMMER cottage on a river, so so I feel very comfortable in that kind of housing.

I do MUCH prefer a house with character, in fact our own home is a small historic house that we've been restoring -- as we live in it-- for the last four years. After an entire year of CONSTANT house hunting we were finally able to find a small historic house in one of the historic districts in our town. We snagged our home the first night it went on the market and have been happy ever since.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia