Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2011, 08:34 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,911,741 times

Advertisements

I've noticed a LOT of comments in many recent threads both in the Georgia boards and others (i.e Birmingham The Next Atlanta?) that a LOT of people -- many Georgians, but also lots of people from other states like Alabama, say: "The only places I would EVER live in Georgia is Atlanta or Savannah." As someone who grew up in Atlanta and now lives in Savannah, I can understand that statement -- even though I know in my head and my heart that I could really live anywhere in this state for the right reason, or another state for that matter. (I did go to school in Athens after all, and lived in Brunswick for a couple of years as well).

MY QUESTION: How do you folks in the state's other 2nd tier cities feel when people elevate Savannah so high above your town? Does it grate your nerves that other folks so easily dismiss your cities? Do you get tired of constantly defending or explaining why/where you live? Is there any truth to this? And why do so many people in other states have such a low opinion (or no opinion) of Georgia beyond Atlanta and Savannah?

Old 03-17-2011, 08:38 PM

92 posts, read 234,277 times
thats easy, Atlanta and Savannah have more tourism than any other city. but the other cities are really steppin it up.

Old 03-17-2011, 08:39 PM

92 posts, read 234,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
I've noticed a LOT of comments in many recent threads both in the Georgia boards and others (i.e Birmingham The Next Atlanta?) that a LOT of people -- many Georgians, but also lots of people from other states like Alabama, say: "The only places I would EVER live in Georgia is Atlanta or Savannah." As someone who grew up in Atlanta and now lives in Savannah, I can understand that statement -- even though I know in my head and my heart that I could really live anywhere in this state for the right reason, or another state for that matter. (I did go to school in Athens after all, and lived in Brunswick for a couple of years as well).

MY QUESTION: How do you folks in the state's other 2nd tier cities feel when people elevate Savannah so high above your town? Does it grate your nerves that other folks so easily dismiss your cities? Do you get tired of constantly defending or explaining why/where you live? Is there any truth to this? And why do so many people in other states have such a low opinion (or no opinion) of Georgia beyond Atlanta and Savannah?
Birmingham is no where near atlanta

Old 03-17-2011, 08:41 PM

357 posts, read 783,323 times
at uga, this guy from south ga called me a "yankee" for being from atlanta

Old 03-17-2011, 09:08 PM

Thanks mods for moving this to the right place. My bad.

Old 03-17-2011, 09:16 PM

10 posts, read 34,621 times
I believe that this is the case because Atlanta and Savannah are easily the most progressive cities in the state. If you venture very far at all from either place then you find yourself back in the traditional, conservative south for the most part.

Old 03-17-2011, 11:07 PM

^^ See that's where I think you are wrong. While Atlanta and Savannah are both indeed unique for VERY different reasons, they are NOT the *only* progressive (and certainly not the only LIVEABLE) cities in this state. Some amazing things have been happening in Columbus for sometime now (RiverCenter for the Arts, MidTown, Bradley Park, Columbus State's revitilization of Uptown). The suburbs of both North Macon and Columbia County in Augusta look and feel just like those in Metro Atlanta. Two of the fastest growing areas in this state are Warner Robins and Gainesville, which people outside Georgia don't even know exist! But lots of people are moving there for some reason.

Old 03-18-2011, 01:30 AM

4,582 posts, read 8,968,925 times
There's just that something about Atlanta and Savannah that take them to a different level compared to the rest of Georgia. Savannah has it's history and uniqueness while Atlanta is a huge metropolis. There is obviously more to it than that, but you get the idea.

(Not saying other cities in GA don't have their uniqueness, just saying Atlanta and Savannah are known on a wider scale than, say, Columbus, Macon or even Augusta)

Old 03-18-2011, 05:34 AM

8,180 posts, read 14,859,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingImport View Post
There's just that something about Atlanta and Savannah that take them to a different level compared to the rest of Georgia. Savannah has it's history and uniqueness while Atlanta is a huge metropolis. There is obviously more to it than that, but you get the idea.

(Not saying other cities in GA don't have their uniqueness, just saying Atlanta and Savannah are known on a wider scale than, say, Columbus, Macon or even Augusta)
Pretty much. When just looking at the Southeast, there are very, very few contemporaries of Atlanta and Savannah, namely Miami, Charleston, and New Orleans. Georgia doesn't have anything comparable to mid-tier cities in other Southeastern states like Charlotte, Nashville, Orlando, etc. But there's really nothing that sets Augusta, Columbus, Macon, etc. apart from their regional peers in any special sense so they come across as just average. The one thing they could do to be recognized in their own special way is to experience urban revitalization a la Chattanooga, Greenville, SC, etc.

Old 03-18-2011, 05:55 AM

575 posts, read 1,198,278 times
IMHO, Savannah is head and shoulders above Atlanta. Atlanta doesn't seem like it's in the South! Give me southern charm anyday!! That's why I live in the mountains.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia