Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2011, 09:17 PM

8 posts, read 11,244 times

Advertisements

Hi...I am a single mother of 5 boys (Soon to be 14, 12, 10, 8, & 2) and am thinking of relocating to north GA for the 2012 school year. I currently live in NY and am certified in NYS to teach 7-12 math. I am wondering what the outlook on teacher hiring/employment looks like in GA, mainly the northern part. I definitely do not want to move my kids down there and then lose my job and need to move them again.
Also, I have heard a lot of wonderful things about Warner Robins but was hoping to find somewhere north of that. My kids currently attend a public school with about 100 kids/grade level. They enjoy playing football or soccer, basketball, & baseball and make all our local teams but are not outstanding athletes. They do Cub and Boy Scouts and serve at our local church. I would like them to continue these activities and am looking for a small school and a small town with a recreation department or some way to get the boys signed up for things like this. Education is also very important to me and I would like a good small public school. I know most southern schools are larger. Are there quality rural/suburban small schools my boys would be accepted at? My last question has to do with the fact that we are Catholic. I know many activities revolve around the church. Would there be things my kids could not sign up for (like baseball teams etc) that are only sponsored by local churches? Would being Catholic be difficult for them?
Thank you so much for your help. This move would be challenging to say the least and I'd like to do as much research as possible now and then head down to check some places out this summer-will be camping so any advice on state or national parks in GA, SC, and NC would also be helpful. I really appreciate any advice you can give me. Thanks so much. God Bless...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2011, 10:48 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,444,056 times
[quote=findingourhome;18457212]Hi...I am a single mother of 5 boys (Soon to be 14, 12, 10, 8, & 2) and am thinking of relocating to north GA for the 2012 school year.

I currently live in NY and am certified in NYS to teach 7-12 math. I am wondering what the outlook on teacher hiring/employment looks like in GA, mainly the northern part. I definitely do not want to move my kids down there and then lose my job and need to move them again.

There are budget cuts in education in GA--Math teachers are needed ---you would have to be very aggressive to obtain employment. I'd suggest you start applying to each and every county of interest ASAP--this is the season for hiring.
Check out the fyi at this site--
http://www.teachga.org/

^^^
A few school systems in the NE metro area-->

Gwinnett County Schools
Gwinnett County Public Schools
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gwinnet...Public_Schools

^^^
When looking for educator/teacher jobs in the Athens area, be sure to look in the following school systems:

Clarke County School District
Oconee County School District
Oglethorpe County School District
Madison County School District
Jackson County School District
Jefferson City School District
Barrow County School District
Commerce City School District

Also, I have heard a lot of wonderful things about Warner Robins but was hoping to find somewhere north of that. My kids currently attend a public school with about 100 kids/grade level.

^^^^^^^^^^^^
City of Warner Robins | City of Warner Robins
http://www.wrga.gov/

Probable relocation to Warner Robins....
//www.city-data.com/forum/georg...er-robins.html

I really don't know much about Middle GA--Warner Robins is south of Macon, IIRC and there is a Macon forum those posters might be able to provide more specific fyi.

^^^^^
They enjoy playing football or soccer, basketball, & baseball and make all our local teams but are not outstanding athletes. They do Cub and Boy Scouts and serve at our local church. I would like them to continue these activities and am looking for a small school and a small town with a recreation department or some way to get the boys signed up for things like this.

Education is also very important to me and I would like a good small public school. I know most southern schools are larger.

Are there quality rural/suburban small schools my boys would be accepted at?

My last question has to do with the fact that we are Catholic. I know many activities revolve around the church. Would there be things my kids could not sign up for (like baseball teams etc) that are only sponsored by local churches? Would being Catholic be difficult for them?

Thank you so much for your help. This move would be challenging to say the least and I'd like to do as much research as possible now and then head down to check some places out this summer-will be camping so any advice on state or national parks in GA, SC, and NC would also be helpful. I really appreciate any advice you can give me. Thanks so much. God Bless...[/QUOTE]

^^^^^^^^^
For your summer trip>>>
//www.city-data.com/forum/georg...ian-trail.html

^^^^^^^^

You started off asking about 'North GA'--I'm not certain what that means to you ---you then mentioned Warner Robins which is south of Atlanta--actually Middle GA.

^^^^^^^^^^
Here's a recent thread inquiring about North GA-->
//www.city-data.com/forum/atlan...need-high.html

'North GA'---Dahlonega/Lumpkin County was my first suggestion this poster. About 2 hours north of Atlanta.

^^^^^^^^^
Other posters suggested the Athens area--about 45 minutes NE of Atlanta.
In post #6 of the linked thread I responded thusly --
I'm not that familiar with the Athens area--others are. Ericsonga is a poster who might have some good fyi--hopefully he will find this thread.
http://cityofwatkinsville.com/ (broken link)

I wouldn't think Oconee County schools are doing too poorly. UGA is located near there--it might be harder to get employed--many education majors enrolled at UGA. I just don't know.
http://www.greatschools.org/georgia/...ounty-Schools/ (broken link)

There is a community in Gwinnett county that I think you might like. Perhaps 45 minutes from Athens--in the NE metro area which is not exactly 'North GA' --it is between Atlanta and Athens. Dacula/Auburn/Winder.
City of Dacula, Georgia USA | Community Information Network

Info on Dacula

Gwinnett County Schools
Gwinnett County Public Schools
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gwinnet...Public_Schools

Barrow County would be another option for employment. There are several others--cannot think of the names at the moment.
http://www.barrow.k12.ga.us/

IIRC, Gwinnett County is now the largest school system in GA. Highly diverse and would certainly welcome bilingual Science/Math teachers.

Gwinnett County offers many sports/recreational options. The housing options should be well within your price range if your DH obtains employment with a school system.
^^^^

Both areas----ie Dahlonega and Athens would be worth consideration.

^^^^
There are many Catholics in metro Atlanta--not certain why that would be a concern.
//www.city-data.com/forum/atlan...opulation.html

Last edited by TakeAhike; 03-26-2011 at 11:20 PM..

Old 03-27-2011, 02:53 PM

8 posts, read 11,244 times
Thanks Takeahike...I really appreciate the information. I know Warner Robins in mid-Georgia. I was trying to say that, although I'd heard great things about it I really wanted someplace farther north. I've thought more about Calhoune, Elijay, Rome and along the Savannah but am not locked into any one place and WR is about as far south as I'd consider.
I lived in Charlotte for a year and had neighbors who refused to speak with us when they found out we were Catholic and my husband was not allowed to play on some softball teams because everything was done through local churches which we did not belong to.
Thanks so much for the information. I will definitely look into some of this.
If anyone has advice on small districts in GA north of WR, I'd really appreciate it!

Old 03-27-2011, 03:11 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,444,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by findingourhome View Post
Thanks Takeahike...I really appreciate the information. I know Warner Robins in mid-Georgia. I was trying to say that, although I'd heard great things about it I really wanted someplace farther north. I've thought more about Calhoune, Elijay, Rome and along the Savannah but am not locked into any one place and WR is about as far south as I'd consider.
I lived in Charlotte for a year and had neighbors who refused to speak with us when they found out we were Catholic and my husband was not allowed to play on some softball teams because everything was done through local churches which we did not belong to.
Thanks so much for the information. I will definitely look into some of this.
If anyone has advice on small districts in GA north of WR, I'd really appreciate it!
lol--'Neighbors'--many have had similar experiences. I can appreciate your concerns. That doesn't seem to be much of an issue here--certain there might be such a community but in general there is a more Libertarian attitude toward religion in GA/metro Atlanta area.

There are plenty of threads on the cities you mentioned. Go to the top of the forum--'Search' --click 'Advanced Search'--insert key words--name of city, etc and the system will pull up previous threads.

'Calhoun, Elijay, Rome'/NW GA.

The Savannah River runs through the eastern side--Hartwell, Ga/Toccoa--both nice little towns.
http://hartwell-ga.info/
http://www.cityoftoccoa.com/

Commerce, GA--I don't want to confuse you--I am more familiar with the NE side.

http://www.commercega.org/
Dawsonville might work---
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dawsonville,_Georgia

Good things about both sides of North GA.

Last edited by TakeAhike; 03-27-2011 at 03:19 PM..

Old 03-28-2011, 08:57 AM

1,474 posts, read 3,565,090 times
With respect, I cannot imagine any teaching job in GA paying you enough to support a large family. I should think that wages in NY are much higher with better benefits. I also imagine you are a member of a union. There are no job protections down here. Work this year and not hired the next. Then there is small town politics which means local school boards. GA remains in a huge unemployment situation and slow(ing) economy.

Someone above mentioned Clarke County school system. One word, "disaster".

Sorry, but I think there are likely better places for your family other than GA. I wish you the best.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia