U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2007, 09:56 PM

1,516 posts, read 6,245,363 times

Advertisements

Not sure if you're looking for city life or a bit more into the mountains (you didn't mention anything about jobs). If the former, I'd stick to metro Atlanta and look in areas like Decatur, Inman Park, Grant Park or Midtown. If you're up for more of a mountainous lifestyle, there is a fairly large gay and lesbian population in Highlands, NC and it's absolutely gorgeous up there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2007, 11:03 PM

1,755 posts, read 5,130,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle DeRepentigny View Post
Athens-Clarke County is pretty open minded. As anywhere there are places that are more conservative, but there are many alternative families and household in the area and lots of activities. I recently relocaed a simialr couple of school teachers to this area and they have been very pleased with the community. The university of Georgia brings alot of diversity to our area.
Not sure what you consider diverse, but a bunch of white pot heads aren't diverse, they're hippies.

If you want a diverse school, look at Tech, Indians, Arabs, Blacks, White, etc., UGA is 'WHITE' plain and simple, and I went to Tech, so I know what diversity really is.

As far as open-minded there are plenty, along with all the country frat boy rednecks from across the state.

Old 08-02-2007, 05:26 AM

22 posts, read 81,198 times
Well, if you move to a RURAL Southern town, I think what is more important (other than obvious public displays of affection) would be what your politics APPEAR to be. What I mean by this is whether you have bumper stickers on your vehicles and what kind of bumper stickers you have. Or, if you live in an area where people display American flags or bunting on the outside of the houses, whether you do that or not. The historic district where I live is so "Americana" that many of the houses do sport flags ALL the time.

What a lot of people in my town DON'T like is people moving in and trying to change things because it smacks of "I know better than you do". I know this because locals have mentioned people to me who have done this. I also have heard through the grapevine about people who have moved in and tried to drastically change organizations, which is NOT appreciated.

One funny thing about my little town (and I don't know if this holds true for other rural Georgia towns) is that a lot of people here appear to think that ANY accent that isn't local is a "New York" accent. When people started mentioning my "New York" accent, I was stunned. I have a Western accent and my speech is actually on the slow side. Also, I found it funny that nasty weather is referred to as "Yankee weather". And, if you do move to a rural Southern town, I think you'd be surprised at how many older English words are used such as "bonnet" for hood of the car, "boot" for trunk. The quantity of these older English (and sometimes Scottish) words and phrases is amazing. I find the language here rich and interesting. 'Course in my town, people only use that type of vocabulary when they feel comfortable with the person they're speaking with.

People in my town seem to be very accepting of physical (and other types of disabilities). I guess living in a small town people are exposed to family and friends with disabilities. It's interesting to me that I've never heard even one negative comment about the (few) people in our town who walk down the street holding conversations with some invisible person.

Bottom line is that if you're looking for lots of thing "to do," then I'd move to a city, but if you like a REALLY slow paced life, enjoy gardening or farming and/or raising animals (or even just visiting people's farms), then I'd move to a small town or to a county area just outside a town.

Old 08-02-2007, 01:04 PM

9 posts, read 23,214 times
I currently live in Brunswick, GA and have several friends from my neighborhood who are lesbians. They are very open about it and haven't had any problems here. Actually, there is actually quite a tight-knit lesbian community in Brunswick. Although I'm straight and married, I've hung out with them at their homes and out in town and have found that other people are more than accepting. In fact, it just doesn't seem to be an issue at all. If you're considering Southeast GA, I'd say Brunswick might be a good choice for you.

Old 08-03-2007, 05:24 PM

1,072 posts, read 1,660,953 times
Well the most gay friendly area of Georgia is metro Atlanta. Decatur, GA just outside of Atlanta is somewhat of a Lesbian Mecca.. The Indigo Girls hail from their.
If you want to live in a smaller city I would suggest Athens.. It is a progressive college town.. very gay friendly and more affordable than metro Atlanta and it's only an hours drive away from the big city.

Not all the metro areas in Georgia are gay friendly. I would NOT suggest Augusta. It is a very homophobic place.. worse than many of the smaller towns. Atlanta, Athens, and Savannah are the most gay friendly parts of the state (in that order).

Last edited by xxman777; 08-03-2007 at 05:47 PM..

Old 08-03-2007, 09:17 PM

28 posts, read 160,673 times
Athens, Savannah, or Atlanta i would say.

Old 08-04-2007, 09:08 PM

22 posts, read 105,074 times
I agree with Decatur. Its dubbed Dick-Hater for a reason I guess! I was doing business in the NE Georgia area the other week with a bed and breakfast run by a lesbian couple. I think the name of the town was Tiger or Hollywood...somewhere close to Clayton. Anyway, it was a very small town but really artsy, and I ended up running into lots of lesbians that day so i wonder if it isnt a undiscovered little haven for gay women. Probably lots of them tired of big city life in Atlanta??

Old 10-08-2007, 03:59 AM

1 posts, read 4,593 times
I live outside of Savannah and although it is fairly progressive I would not recommend it. The crime is ridiculous for this small of a town and most people have to pay for private school for their kids because the school system is so bad. My car was broken into in broad daylight on a busy street! Several lesbians that I know who have lived here all of their lives feel the need to be very closeted which says a lot. My girlfriend and I plan to move back to Atlanta where I am from.

Old 10-08-2007, 02:33 PM

2 posts, read 39,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousquestions View Post
My partner and I plan to move to Georgia very soon. Are there any counties or cities in Georgia where a low key, middle aged, lesiban couple can feel welcome, happy and safe?
Hi. We are exactly what you describe, except that we have an 8 years old daughter. We are living in Macon, and I can say for sure...don't come here. People are rude, crazy, and think that being gay is contagious. We are trying to escape here as soon as our jobs will allow. It's a terrible place to live. Hot, boring, and ignorant! Atlanta is a better bet, but much more pricey. good luck. email me at cauldronbubble@cox.net if you have more guestions.

Old 07-19-2008, 06:59 PM

2 posts, read 8,912 times
Default Brunswick

Me and my girlfriend plan to move to Brunswick GA very soon I feel very safe there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousquestions View Post
My partner and I plan to move to Georgia very soon. Are there any counties or cities in Georgia where a low key, middle aged, lesiban couple can feel welcome, happy and safe?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or