U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2007, 01:25 PM

1 posts, read 10,354 times

Advertisements

My partner and I plan to move to Georgia very soon. Are there any counties or cities in Georgia where a low key, middle aged, lesiban couple can feel welcome, happy and safe?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2007, 04:07 PM

9,188 posts, read 30,881,852 times
I'm hoping you don't mind a person being very blunt about it, 'cause I'm known for that.

Ok, if you are two women who are sharing your lives/home and you let's say "assimilate well" into suburban culture, then pretty much any suburban area within a few miles of Atlanta shouldn't be an issue. Likewise, closer-in to the Savannah area if you prefer the Southern region of the state. Decatur (next to Atlanta) is known as a mecca for Lesbians as well. If however, you are more of what we'll say the "in your face" crowd (cropped hair, tattoos, rainbow flag... ok, Chastity Bono, right?).. then no, most suburban areas are not exactly going to open the arms and greet you with a platter of cookies when you move in, so you'll wanna stick to the more urban gay areas like the Midtown, Grant Park, or Virginia Highlands neighborhoods in Atlanta.

Atlanta is basically liberal. The rest of Georgia with the exception of inner Savannah is basically conservative, but no so much so that they burn people at the stake (well, anymore). Rural Georgia can be scary for anyone who isn't white, straight, Republican, conservative, Baptist.. keep going... but I don't think you're looking at boonies rural, anyway.

Old 07-30-2007, 04:25 PM

41 posts, read 153,259 times
Macon has a number of low key couples and some not so low key. Also some couples with families. I'm not gay so I cannot comment on the scene here, but I do live in a diverse neighborhood close to downtown.

Old 07-30-2007, 06:40 PM

111 posts, read 825,731 times
Unfortunately, you can stumble upon a lone bigot just about anywhere in the world, so to definitively tell you that you'll be welcome in a certain place will be impossible. I can tell you my limited experiences though.

I can't go into detail, but I know of a very violent hate crime against a man in Macon - this happened about 10-15 years ago. Hopefully times have changed, but I'm still sick that there is such bigotry in the world.

In contrast, I just moved from a rural community north of Columbus and there were 2 gay couples in my neighborhood (one male, one female). They were great neighbors and, to the best of my knowledge, they never had a problem.

I have to agree, that the deeper you go into rural south GA, you'll have problems.

What are you looking for as far as city size and topography? Georgia is pretty diverse in those areas.

Old 08-01-2007, 04:18 AM

10,194 posts, read 20,924,610 times
While all of the above is valid, my parents live in a middle class neighborhood in rural GA. They have two middle aged female neighbors who live together. Other having lived together for longer than 10 yrs., these women are so in the closet that none of the ultra conservative people in the neighborhood actually think they're lesbians. I'm the only one who thinks so.

So, if you feel the need to live out in the boonies, you'll have to act like you're not a couple and hope your neighbors don't figure it out.

Old 08-01-2007, 06:14 AM

7,100 posts, read 25,069,388 times
It used to be common for two unmarried women, teachers, nurses, clerks or whatever to live together to save a little money.

Not any more. I think it's a shame that women without spouses, whatever the reason, can't share a home, expenses and companionship without people wondering if they are doing a dirty. People can just LIKE each other without having a sexual attraction. I think we can thank the News Media for a lot of that change.

Old 08-01-2007, 08:31 AM

22 posts, read 81,198 times
Curious,

Living in a TINY rural southern town, I have to agree with many of the other posts on this subject. I think fitting in in some of these areas really depends on how you APPEAR to be in public. And, only you and your partner can decide whether you want to live in that manner.

Based ONLY on experiences in MY town, I also agree that it would NOT even occur to just by the fact that two women are living together that they are lesbians, IF there are no "obvious" public displays.

I do know that there is at least one lesbian in our town (and I'd guess MANY others), because that woman essentially all but told me and also said that she was wearing lipstick so she would look "less like a man". I do know that there are a number of gay guys in our town. One guy told me himself. In another situation the sister of a different gay guy told me. Also, interestingly on separate occasions workmen described a particular house (for it's architectural features) and mentioned that the owner is gay. One of these conservative workmen first sort of "felt me out" as to my feelings on gay people BEFORE telling me about the owner of the house. Of course, there was no need to TELL ME that the owner is gay, but I guess they felt the need.

IF you're considering moving to a small rural type town, it's important to remember that a lot of people have families that have lived in these towns for generations. Many (but certainly not all)of them may have not travelled much outside their state, except for military duty. A lot of southerners do serve in the military, and certainly they may have come across gay people serving.

Small, rural Southern town can offer a lot in terms of community, CHEAP nice housing, the opportunity to have a small farm, and things like that, IF those those type of things interest you and your partner.

I read housing prices in some of the forums and am stunned when people talk of houses over $200,000. In our tiny town, slightly over $200,000 will get you a lovely, large, two story historic home, on one of the nicer streets in town. And, I'm talking beautiful. We had to look for a long time but bought a small historic house (3 bedrooms) for the low $70's in an historic district, but had to upgrade the electricity and add new heating and cooling.

If you lived JUST slightly outside of town limits (but not isolated) you could raise horses, cattle, goats, etc. Just outside of our town people also raise buffalo, llamas, emus and other types of animals.

I guess the bottom line would be WHY are you thinking of moving to the South.

Best of luck on your search

Old 08-01-2007, 09:03 AM

96 posts, read 373,157 times
Frnkly, I really do not think you are going to be happy living outside Atlanta. The suburbs are very conservative and family oriented and past that, it's very redneck/conservative. I just don't see you boing happy even in a smaller town like Macon or Cartersville. Savannah maybe, since it's a little bit more artsy and liberal. Inside Atlanta, I think you should consider Grant Park, East Atlanta, Oakhurst, Kirkwood, and the mother of all - Decatur.

Old 08-01-2007, 09:23 AM

81 posts, read 326,336 times
Default Consider Athens Clarke County

Athens-Clarke County is pretty open minded. As anywhere there are places that are more conservative, but there are many alternative families and household in the area and lots of activities. I recently relocaed a simialr couple of school teachers to this area and they have been very pleased with the community. The university of Georgia brings alot of diversity to our area.

Old 08-01-2007, 04:52 PM

1,189 posts, read 1,666,496 times
As a happily partnered gay man in Macon, I can tell you that in Macon it really isn't a big deal...as long as you don't fly rainbow flags and walk down the street holding hands. I live in a neighborhood not far from downtown where most of my neighbors are older (retired) and they all know we live together and they love that we are here (and improving the yard... :-) )
There are several other gay/lesbian couples in the area too and they have never had any issues.

Could I ever run for public office where my relationship would be thrust into the media....no, but as far as living a normal life and assimilating into the neighborhood, all is well. I am very happy living here.

One PS though, I used to live in an ultra suburban area in Warner Robins and I did get a few funny looks, but even there it was no big deal.

As long as you move to any metropolitan area such as Atlanta, Columbus, Macon, Savannah, Augusta, and even to a point Brunswick (in the redeveloping downtown area) you should be very happy. Word of advice though, the more "soccer mom types" the less accepting the neighborhood in my opinion. Good luck. Let me know if you have any questions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or