Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2006, 12:16 AM

12 posts, read 94,055 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by davenaly View Post
My husband and I are looking for a small community we could move to in north GA and possibly open a business. Any ideas??
Winder (barrow Co) & Jefferson (Jackson Co.) 2 of the fastest growing counties in America.

I like Jefferson better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2006, 10:48 PM

3 posts, read 9,287 times
Default we need information about small cities

We are considering to move to small towns in Ga ( north or north-east). And we are looking for a safety place with a medical facility and shopping center.
We appreciate any information about Jasper, Hartwell,Ellijay,Commerce, Dahlonega, Chatsworth.

Old 12-09-2006, 10:54 AM

4 posts, read 13,988 times
Default Bartow County

I would have to say that my favorite thus far is Bartow County, Georgia. Cartersville is still growing quickly, but, the smaller towns in Bartow County are a little more peaceful for living. There is a lot of land for sale up here and Cobb County is about to be finished as far as building. The next best thing is Bartow County. In the next couple of years they will be opening a Cabella's in Adairsville, the only one in the southeast from what I understand and it will bring a lot of business to the area, so Adairsville would be a great place to start.

Old 12-16-2006, 09:17 AM

3 posts, read 11,971 times
Jefferson has a lot going for it in the "small town" category. It's close to the interstate, close enough to Mall of Georgia and Tanger Outlets, outstanding city schools, clean downtown and a good rate of growth.

Old 12-17-2006, 06:49 AM
tjk

3 posts, read 16,928 times
Check out Polk County..small towns for sure with lots of growth potential.

Old 01-26-2007, 04:15 PM

59 posts, read 347,070 times
Default dawson county

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawsonville View Post
Dawson County is a great area. County seat is Dawsonville, a growing small town. Area is only about an hour north of Atlanta, but located in the foothills of the mountains. Amicalola Falls State Park is located there and the eastern county line is Lake Lanier with numerous parks and boat ramps. I have property there and know of more. Good luck with your search.
Hi Dawsonville,

We were looking for some info on Dawson County from an insider. Hoping you could give us some insight.

We are moving to Georgia from NJ. We would prefer Dawson County due to the mountain views and small town feel. We do realize this could change in some years to come.

It seems (from Google Earth only) that it is reasonable to expect we could get from one side of Dawson county to the other side in a reasonable 20 minutes. For instance Dawson County Park to Rock Creek Sports Complex. Or War Hill Park to Dawson County Park. We are trying to imagaine getting from activity to activity with the kids but not sitting in crazy traffic to do it.

Also, seems that there are good shopping areas that are also not too far from housing. Our main concern is access to 400 for Hosptials and the busing of school children to the school. It seems in Dawson County that is attainable.

If you could give us any insight on this we would apprectiate it.

Thanks,
akelley728

Old 01-27-2007, 08:37 AM

89 posts, read 120,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepwalker View Post
blue ridge is nice place, fannin county ga web site check it out

Not Blue Ridge we dont need anymore little shops we need more industry and less retired second home owners. Hopefully we will try to provide more real jobs around here and cater less to people trying to buy vacation homes and what not. While these retired folks are moving here buying second and third homes the locals and natives can barely afford their first home.We need more industrial related jobs no more little shops.

Old 01-27-2007, 09:19 AM

2,819 posts, read 10,368,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kc_tinman View Post
Winder (barrow Co) & Jefferson (Jackson Co.) 2 of the fastest growing counties in America.

I like Jefferson better.
I agree also. Winder is rather tight due to 8/11/29/81 all coming together in a small downtown location. But then again, with the development it offers a benefit over Jackson.

Jefferson, as with much of NE GA is going through a development disease. The issues in Jackson right now arefolks heading south to work in the AM. With I-85 being the only highway route heading home can be a nightmare at the 85/985 split as the right lane disappears. Now if you don't have to head to Atlanta in the AM, then yes, I would take Jefferson/Jackson over Winder/Barrow.

Old 01-29-2007, 11:00 AM

1,418 posts, read 10,159,741 times
Quote:
We need more industrial related jobs no more little shops.
You won't see any industrial jobs in North Georgia until one of three things happens: 1) The US burns NAFTA, CAFTA, and any other politico-fat-cat-w***e treaty; 2) the US places tariffs on anything made with plastic, steel or aluminum from Mexico, China, India, or other third-world country; or 3) The US abolishes the minimum wage.

Which do you think is likely to happen?

All these towns where retirees go to play should feel blessed. Old people who have more than one home have money!! The first of you people who figure out how to seperate the money from the back pockets of the retirees that are invading you, and put a smile on their faces while doing this will be the family that will survive, thrive and rule the town for generations to come.

FWIW, I once went into a little diner in one of the small towns that has been discussed. Posted on the door was a sign that said something like this "This is not Fast Food, and we don't give Fast Service - any out-of-towner who is looking for this, the Burger King is down the road". There were a few more signs inside that referenced "rude customers", etc. You get the idea - they only want locals, not travelers, vacationers, blow-ins, etc. in their establishment. Now, that's an example of how to make sure that your business stagnates, flounders, and you reamin starving and poor in a robust economy. Even if I was a local, I'd be hard pressed not to get me a Chick-fil-A four blocks away rather than deal with "bad attitude".

Last edited by Prichard; 01-29-2007 at 11:10 AM..

Old 01-29-2007, 11:42 AM

89 posts, read 120,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prichard View Post
You won't see any industrial jobs in North Georgia until one of three things happens: 1) The US burns NAFTA, CAFTA, and any other politico-fat-cat-w***e treaty; 2) the US places tariffs on anything made with plastic, steel or aluminum from Mexico, China, India, or other third-world country; or 3) The US abolishes the minimum wage.

Which do you think is likely to happen?

All these towns where retirees go to play should feel blessed. Old people who have more than one home have money!! The first of you people who figure out how to seperate the money from the back pockets of the retirees that are invading you, and put a smile on their faces while doing this will be the family that will survive, thrive and rule the town for generations to come.

FWIW, I once went into a little diner in one of the small towns that has been discussed. Posted on the door was a sign that said something like this "This is not Fast Food, and we don't give Fast Service - any out-of-towner who is looking for this, the Burger King is down the road". There were a few more signs inside that referenced "rude customers", etc. You get the idea - they only want locals, not travelers, vacationers, blow-ins, etc. in their establishment. Now, that's an example of how to make sure that your business stagnates, flounders, and you reamin starving and poor in a robust economy. Even if I was a local, I'd be hard pressed not to get me a Chick-fil-A four blocks away rather than deal with "bad attitude".
GOOD POST..Prichard. I just dont feel we need anymore little shops which really dont do anything for the overall economy of Blue Ridge which is strongly dividied between the have and the have nots. We could use some plants but like you said there all going south of the border. Im gonna retire someplace were the winters are cold and at least 45 minutes to and hour away from a major city...but thats not for a while though. That sign on the the restuarant should be posted on a huge billboard when you enter Blue Ridge just to let people know they left the city so dont bring the city here. In Blue Ridge people move from the cities of Atlanta or Florida to get away from it all. Then they want all the luxieries they left behind and want every corner to have a restuarant..those type of people make us sick.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia