Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2011, 05:09 PM

173 posts, read 541,906 times

Advertisements

Taking a group of teens down to Americus on a Fuller Center build. We usually have one day to relax and blow off steam. Looking for things like amusement parks water parks or other fun things. We will be there in July August. Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2011, 12:19 AM

635 posts, read 1,509,278 times
I don't remember any theme parks, but as a teen i was always interested in history, and plains isn't too far that is where jimmy carter is from and his boyhood home still stands you could take them there if they are interested of course.

Old 04-22-2011, 11:41 AM

2,014 posts, read 5,098,018 times
How close is near for you? I know there is an amusement park called Wild Adventures down there in South Georgia but it's in Valdosta. I think it's like an hour and a half from Americus...but that wouldnt be too bad if you guys left early enough to spend a good portion of the day and drive back, eh?

Wild Adventures Water & Theme Park | Valdosta, GA

I enjoyed there as a teen back in like 2000.

Old 04-24-2011, 03:01 PM

575 posts, read 1,198,396 times
No theme parks near Americus. Lots of history and a great POW museum at Andersonville.

Old 04-29-2011, 09:06 AM

16,715 posts, read 19,404,178 times
Lake Blackshear is right there, they have a swimming beach and a pioneer campground. 30 miles away in three directions are different things to do. Lumpkin has Providence Canyon State Park (Little Grand Canyon), it's a must-see if you have the time, Albany has Chehaw Wild Animal Park, and Cordele has SAM Shortline Southwest Georgia Excursion Train to historical sites around south Georgia.

Old 05-03-2011, 09:07 AM

10,743 posts, read 13,379,079 times
JoDan and convextech have steered you in the right direction. Lake Blackshear marina rents boats. It's about 20 miles due east of Americus on Highway 280. On the way there, you can swing into the little town of Leslie (12 miles east of Americus) and visit the Rural Telephone Museum, which is actually very fascinating. I'd call first though to make sure that it is open. Andersonville prison is historic and a must-see. The Lumpkin attractions are fun - there's a recreated pioneer town there, Westville, that's pretty cool. It's only minutes away from Providence Canyon. In Americus itself, you can visit the birthplace of Habitat for Humanity - they have a pretty good visitor center. And, yes, Plains is okay - it's only 9 miles west of Americus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia