Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2009, 05:51 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,801,761 times

Advertisements

Macon is one of the Top 50 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S.Ranked 38th.Columbus ranks higher than Savannah
Albany-71
Columbus-96
Savannah-121
Athens-219
Sandy Springs-229

Did not see Augusta.Maybe you can.I assume its that safe?
This is not a "lets trash Macon" or any other city.All these cities have great potential. but are just poor on social issues.It is a surprise to me that Columbus is more dangerous than Savannah.All those people talking about the crime in Savannah are obviously in for a surprise.What do y'all think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2009, 06:35 PM

117 posts, read 507,471 times
I'm not suprised about Albany's ranking... yet the city officials here STILL claim Albany is safe!!

Old 09-30-2009, 06:47 PM

1,388 posts, read 2,257,429 times
Please stop with the stupid rankings. Macon and Albany are NOT consolidated which means the city limits encompass a larger proportion of poor neighborhoods. The CityData lurkers need to go back and study statistics. Before looking at the numbers, one must see how the numbers are calculated.

Now I am not going to say Macon doesn't have its problem areas because there are parts of the city I would not set foot in, but there are many nice areas and to suggest the entire place is a cesspool is just plain ridiculous.

This just got me tonight. I am so sick of this twisting. If you are not hanging out in the hood or dealing drugs and avoid areas with bars on the windows then your chance of being a crime victim drops dramatically.

As a matter of fact, the only time I was a crime victim was when my car was broken into in Warner Robins (supposedly one of the safer towns).

Common sense goes a long ways. If it looks nice and the area is well kept, it probably is nice. If you see bars on the windows, grafitti, and grown men wondering around drinking 40s at 11am, then you probably should keep driving.

Stop with the insanity on this board. Every city has good and bad. Maybe some more than others, but all cities have nice places too. Just relax and enjoy instead of bashing all of the time folks.

Old 09-30-2009, 08:00 PM

4,582 posts, read 8,975,515 times
I agree with the previous poster.

As for afone's comment on crime in Savannah, its just something that is overhyped. Crime isn't as big an issue in Savannah as a lot of people think. As midgeorgiaman said, every city is going to have a bad area but it will also have nice areas. The historic district is FOR SURE one of those good areas so tourists need not worry, just use common sense as you would anywhere else.

Old 09-30-2009, 08:58 PM

119 posts, read 298,722 times
Sandy Springs is surprising.

Old 09-30-2009, 09:14 PM

2,745 posts, read 3,959,994 times
I know Rome has a high crime rate. One of the reasons for this is the police department. They are very good, and very few crimes do not end in arrest. But at the same time, they are extremely obtuse. If there is a bar fight, everyone involved gets an assault charge. It's not like it was even 10 yrs ago. The cops would break it up and tell everyone to go home. Now, everyone gets arrested. Rome is a safe town, with very compartmentalized crime, very rarely spilling into any of the nicer neighborhoods. Perhaps this is also the case in cities like Macon and Columbus?

Old 09-30-2009, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midgeorgiaman View Post
Please stop with the stupid rankings. Macon and Albany are NOT consolidated which means the city limits encompass a larger proportion of poor neighborhoods. The CityData lurkers need to go back and study statistics. Before looking at the numbers, one must see how the numbers are calculated.

Now I am not going to say Macon doesn't have its problem areas because there are parts of the city I would not set foot in, but there are many nice areas and to suggest the entire place is a cesspool is just plain ridiculous.

This just got me tonight. I am so sick of this twisting. If you are not hanging out in the hood or dealing drugs and avoid areas with bars on the windows then your chance of being a crime victim drops dramatically.

As a matter of fact, the only time I was a crime victim was when my car was broken into in Warner Robins (supposedly one of the safer towns).

Common sense goes a long ways. If it looks nice and the area is well kept, it probably is nice. If you see bars on the windows, grafitti, and grown men wondering around drinking 40s at 11am, then you probably should keep driving.

Stop with the insanity on this board. Every city has good and bad. Maybe some more than others, but all cities have nice places too. Just relax and enjoy instead of bashing all of the time folks.
Well actually,I love Macon.Thats why I'm so disappointed. Because the fact is while of course these rankings are subjective,they are still there for people to see.On every one of these ranking Macon does poorly.We can give all kinds of reasons why(and many are true)but in the end it still matters to people who consider moving to these places.

Quote:
If you are not hanging out in the hood or dealing drugs and avoid areas with bars on the windows then your chance of being a crime victim drops dramatically.

One thing is that it should NEVER be expectable for a city to have 2 sides.One "good" and One "bad".Just because there are nice areas does not mean the bad ones do not exist.This is the mentality that causes the cancer to grow and spread.I grew up in Warner Robins and moved to Atlanta when my parents left for career opportunities many years ago.They recentley moved back after 20 years of being gone just outside W.R.to Byron.Im down there a lot.Macon is my get away from Warner Robins (a fix of some sort of city life I miss when I am not in Atlanta).I tell all my friends about how nice Macon is.Many of them are internationals from all over the globe.When they go and read about Macon,they say"oh its not safe is it?What do you say when people ask you that?Yes I tell them as you say,but what about those people who want to visit that do not have someone like you or me to set them straight?What then?

Warner Robins has grown into its own MSA now partly because of what goes on in Macon.(or perception).Warner Robins citizens no longer really have to go to Macon for anything, because the retailers now have discovered them as being self sufficient.

People may not like to hear this but I defy anyone to say that it does not make sense.

Old 09-30-2009, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingImport View Post
I agree with the previous poster.

As for afone's comment on crime in Savannah, its just something that is overhyped. Crime isn't as big an issue in Savannah as a lot of people think. As midgeorgiaman said, every city is going to have a bad area but it will also have nice areas. The historic district is FOR SURE one of those good areas so tourists need not worry, just use common sense as you would anywhere else.
My same post for Macon above is the same for Savannah.Savannah is so beautiful though,people overlook the crime more.But Macon's charm is very limited.People will never give it the lee-way it deseres.

Last edited by afonega1; 09-30-2009 at 10:31 PM..

Old 09-30-2009, 10:04 PM

1,941 posts, read 9,241,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgeorgiaman View Post

I don't understand your point?

It says 'dangerous cities', which includes all the points within the city limits. Areas outside the limits would not be considered part of the city, and not included in the statistic.

So are all of the population totals out of whack because they don't include the county with the city limit?

Your grabbing at straws my friend.

Old 10-01-2009, 01:58 AM

726 posts, read 2,819,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southgeorgia View Post
I don't understand your point?

It says 'dangerous cities', which includes all the points within the city limits. Areas outside the limits would not be considered part of the city, and not included in the statistic.

So are all of the population totals out of whack because they don't include the county with the city limit?

Your grabbing at straws my friend.
Yes they Do for the Cities that are Consolidated Like Augusta and Columbus the County Pop and as well as the cities pop are togther.....Which of course will have much better stats In crime, growth, average Income and etc... VS Macon which is not and the proper City Limits contain more of the poorer and high crime areas. You Shall see how Macon Stats postively Change once Macon and Bibb county Consolidates........Which is in PRocess RIGht NOW.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia