U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 05-08-2011, 04:25 PM
 
Location: Columbus, Georgia
30 posts, read 63,465 times
Reputation: 41

Advertisements

Hello,

We're relocating to West Georgia/East Alabama area from the Chattanooga, Tn area sometime late summer, probably around mid to late August.

We've looked into the LaGrange area (not too impressed), Auburn & Columbus. We like both Auburn and Columbus, but are mostly attracted to Columbus because it's similar to Chattanooga in size and lifestyle.

We're looking for some objective feedback regarding schools, taxes, culture, and areas of Columbus conducive to a family. Or, just reply with your opinion on those three areas - what you like about them, and what you don't.

Thanks!!

C.W.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-08-2011, 08:50 PM
 
Location: Columbus, GA and Brookhaven, GA
4,615 posts, read 6,502,154 times
Reputation: 1273
Quote:
Originally Posted by seadub2 View Post
Hello,

We're relocating to West Georgia/East Alabama area from the Chattanooga, Tn area sometime late summer, probably around mid to late August.

We've looked into the LaGrange area (not too impressed), Auburn & Columbus. We like both Auburn and Columbus, but are mostly attracted to Columbus because it's similar to Chattanooga in size and lifestyle.

We're looking for some objective feedback regarding schools, taxes, culture, and areas of Columbus conducive to a family. Or, just reply with your opinion on those three areas - what you like about them, and what you don't.

Thanks!!

C.W.
You will love Columbus. Very similar to Chattanooga in size. Tons of activities around the river just like you have in Chattanooga. Columbus is a great place to raise a family. North Columbus is where you want to be. If you want more of a suburban feel look at Midland or Southern Harris County.

Columbus has just about every major national retail/restaurant chain you can think of as well as many local spots. Downtown has a lot to do as well. Tons of museums, outdoor activities, etc. Close to Atlanta, 3.5 hours from the Gulf, and only 30 mins away from SEC football. Schools are better on the northside. Columbus is exploding with growth due to Fort Benning and several major company expansions. Let me know if you have anymore questions.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-09-2011, 05:33 AM
 
Location: Columbus, Georgia
30 posts, read 63,465 times
Reputation: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbus1984 View Post
You will love Columbus. Very similar to Chattanooga in size. Tons of activities around the river just like you have in Chattanooga. Columbus is a great place to raise a family. North Columbus is where you want to be. If you want more of a suburban feel look at Midland or Southern Harris County.

Columbus has just about every major national retail/restaurant chain you can think of as well as many local spots. Downtown has a lot to do as well. Tons of museums, outdoor activities, etc. Close to Atlanta, 3.5 hours from the Gulf, and only 30 mins away from SEC football. Schools are better on the northside. Columbus is exploding with growth due to Fort Benning and several major company expansions. Let me know if you have anymore questions.
Awesome - just what I was looking for. Thanks bunches...C.W.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-09-2011, 07:31 PM
 
Location: Columbus, GA and Brookhaven, GA
4,615 posts, read 6,502,154 times
Reputation: 1273
Quote:
Originally Posted by seadub2 View Post
Awesome - just what I was looking for. Thanks bunches...C.W.
Where have you looked so far in Columbus? Looking to buy or rent?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-10-2011, 05:16 AM
 
Location: Columbus, Georgia
30 posts, read 63,465 times
Reputation: 41
Default looking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbus1984 View Post
Where have you looked so far in Columbus? Looking to buy or rent?
We're concentrating on the north side of town, above Macon Road. I don't know much about Columbus, but from what we're reading, it's the best place to be. It looks like the schools are really good there also.

We eventually want to own, but being pressed for time, we most likely have to rent until our house in Chattanooga is sold and we can pocket some extra cash.

Also we're interested in Pine Mountain, but we're not finding any school info. We have an 8 year old entering the third grade next fall. Schools play a very critical part in determinimg where we will land. What schools do Pine Mountain residents attend?

Thanks forwarded for any advice!!

C.W.

Last edited by seadub2; 05-10-2011 at 05:30 AM.. Reason: adding new question
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top