Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2007, 06:30 PM

1 posts, read 3,774 times

Advertisements

i lived in ga and i have a felony that was back in 1993. will i always have a problem in succeeding in life? yes i was young but the world holds that against me. my crime happen somewhere else. question? how many years do companies go back? and do most companies do statewide or nationwide?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2007, 10:36 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,883,354 times
It's not so much what you did but how you present yourself NOW as to your success in getting a job.

I work for a construction-related type of company. Employees with some sort of jail record is almost commonplace in the industry, and I'd say that probably 75% of the people who apply for jobs in our field have SOME sort of "illegal history", shall we say.

The thing is, many will walk in the door wearing scruffy t-shirts or pants halfway down their butts, or covered with tats and/or piercings and then go, "Hey man... you hirin'??". The answer will ALWAYS be "NO" to people like that, long before any kind of background check.

My advice:

1) Know how to dress and how to ACT when applying for a job as well as after you get the job. If you come from a bad family, bad area, or bad past in general - leave it there. In the past or at home. Don't take it to work with you, and KNOW how to act properly around others. Never EVER use slang, slur, or walk in dressed like a Rapper or slacker and think you're going to get a job.

2) Be up front and honest about your past to the interviewer. Don't withhold info.

3) If you currently have any problems (alcohol, drugs, etc), then DEAL WTIH THEM NOW, and later get the job. No employer wants people who bring personal baggage or issues with them to work. Period. Likewise, don't bring personal problems like an ex who calls you up, etc.

Know how to dress, act, and conduct yourself, and many employers will overlook a shady past - if you show that you're really trying to live a better life now.

Old 08-07-2007, 04:19 PM

4 posts, read 24,150 times
Default a new beginning

I thought that after having a felony and being clean for ten years you can get the felony expunged but, if you ever break the law again it will effect you. If you were syoung some jobs are understanding. A lot of people who have felonies usually work for community agencies that help the youth or drug treatment programs ( I do not mean any harm) First, I would try seeing if i can get it expunged. Then I would apply for jobs and see how it works out. Don't give up a lot of people who are well respected have done time we are not perfect people and life goes on

Old 08-09-2007, 03:57 PM

7 posts, read 22,856 times
atlantagreg30127 Senior Member --I like the way you responded to this question. I myself are relocating with a Felony (Class E)to Atlanta, that is over ten years. I am not the same person I use to be back then. I got into fight with another female and I beat her real badly. I am always honest and upfront about to, but most of the time I am ashame. I am paying a lawyer to have it amented, but he is working so slow and avoid my calls. I have an appiontment to stop in and see him next two week. I am not letting that stop me. I am brilliant, intelligent and very gifted, if employer turn me down because of that then it is their lost, not mine

Old 08-09-2007, 09:49 PM

276 posts, read 1,127,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rackellp View Post
atlantagreg30127 Senior Member --I like the way you responded to this question. I myself are relocating with a Felony (Class E)to Atlanta, that is over ten years. I am not the same person I use to be back then. I got into fight with another female and I beat her real badly. I am always honest and upfront about to, but most of the time I am ashame. I am paying a lawyer to have it amented, but he is working so slow and avoid my calls. I have an appiontment to stop in and see him next two week. I am not letting that stop me. I am brilliant, intelligent and very gifted, if employer turn me down because of that then it is their lost, not mine
I just read your post and I think you have a very good attitude and sounds like you are indeed not the same person you may have been back then. Good luck to you and I for one am impressed with your honesty and your candor. Best of luck to you in all your endevors..Reach for the stars...Lisa

Old 08-10-2007, 07:29 AM

Thanks Lisa, I need to move on. Yolanda I don't think the world hold it against us like us holding it against ourselves. I am in the field of Social Services so I have background checks done on me all the time. Most of the it is me who are prideful an ashame to admit my pass, ieven though I of to. I am relocating in two months and need to transfer my foster care license and am not even sure if GA allow people with Felonies to become treatment foster parent. I am checking, but no one can answer that for me. If the answer is no then life goes on. The biggest thing I did for myself this year was forgiveness and admittance, then I made up my mind to move forward. Like Lisa said presentation, and honesty is the key to getting a head with a shady pass.

Old 08-10-2007, 01:15 PM

57 posts, read 235,041 times
Well it's nice to see that I am not alone in having a criminal record ( Misdemeanor 3) for perjury on a federal form. I too am relocating to GA in Sept 08 and looking forward to a new start on life. I am just nervous in how to explain this to a potential employer without him thinking that I am not trust worthy. Any suggestions would be great. I pray on this situation everyday.

Old 08-10-2007, 01:59 PM

Nelly40, if you don't mine me asking. How long ago was this? what career field are you going in?. Stay away from jobs that you know the employer are going to reject you and hurt your feelings base on your conviction. beginning to look at it as a mistake, and we all make them. this is something you wouldn't do again because you have learnt from it. Now maybe you can help others. Pray and ask God to open the right doors. I use to apply for jobs and they would turn me down, even got hired and they come in the training classes and pull me out and fired me there. even though I was honest in the interview the background check took so long that they had me started the positions, them let me go in a week. Now God lead me to jobs where my convictions doesn't even matter.

Old 08-10-2007, 02:25 PM

57 posts, read 235,041 times
Thanks for the encouragement, this happened 1 year ago, I have degrees in both social services and hr so I've been looking on both but so far no luck, I don't know if it because of the conviction or no exp or both.

Old 08-10-2007, 03:28 PM

I have a degree in Human Services and Business Management. One agency called me couple months ago for a Case Manager interview position, my husband said it was too early and we we're ready to move so I did flight down for that interview. I notice that it is tuff finding jobs in the Atlanta area when you are relocating. I use my sister address that live in Fairburn on my resume since that is where am going to stay, but still no luck. Last week couple company called me I was so excited I came down for the interview which was a waste of my time. I am a treatment foster parent in Milwaukee, and looking to transfer my file to Atlanta, am not looking for jobs in Social Services anymore they pay too low. I have a family to take care of. Keep looking and pressing, knot until an employer open the door.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
View detailed profiles of: