U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2008, 06:46 AM

242 posts, read 813,920 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by otoatlanta View Post
For people who lack exposure, this may very well be the case. No, it is in fact the case. But for educated people(many of whom do NOT live in the backwoods of Clayton) this is not typically the case. I have found that the more educated, the more outwardly interested they become. Narcissim(a natural human desire to see one's own reflection in EVERYTHING) seems to be more prevalent in small towns, and in less educated parts of the world.

I also think that people tend to use racially homogenous areas to highten their sense of security. We have been socialized this way, but ignorance keeps it going. People believe that they are "safer" around people who have their same "skin color". This is ridiculous. There are "blacks" who are whiter than some "whites". What neighborhood should they live in? Many Mexicans are direct descendants of Spainards(Europeans)-meaning they are white. Where should they live? There are many deeply tanned "whites" who look Middle Eastern. Where do they go? Most of the time when people talk about "racial" differences, what they really are talking about is "cultural" differences; but cultural differences transcend racial differences.

A Mexican of European descent would likely feel more comfortable around Mexicans of any race, than around white Americans of European descent who hated immigration. A lot of black Africans don't feel comfortable around American blacks who dislike immigration. Hello. It is political and cultural differences shaping these issues, not racial, and that's usually the case. Racism(and looking to race to make life decisions) is just ignorance imo, as it is extremely superficial. It may be a preference, but it is a preference that "ignores" reality.

So "people" may used to have said "there goes the neighborhood", but in short, that's not a neighborhood that most educated and peaceful people would ever have wanted to live in the first place. The "neighborhood" was "gone" to begin with, but it's inhabitants were unaware.
Well I a pleased that there are a few who think like you. I voiced the same opinion on self-segregation being ignorant (the true meaning of the word and not just to be demeaning) for the most part, in another thread on the Atlanta forum and was told 'this is America' everyone has the right to do what they want ,which is true. As a Brit trying to move there the backward attitude really scared me and got me a bit heated. Surely in this day and age, values and beliefs should be what is important. If church, no crime, family life etc are important to you should you not just look out for people (and towns) with the same values, not the color of their skin because I know not everyone who is white has the same values or do they enlighten me please.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2008, 08:33 AM

1 posts, read 5,247 times
What about something actually south of Macon. That is where life seems to just slow down. There are several awesome small towns. Parrot, Sasser, Dawson, Sylvester (Peanut Capital of the World), Cordele (Watermelon capital of the world), Poulan, Sumner, TyTy, etc. All are great and don't seem to mind at all that the world is changing around them.

Old 01-18-2008, 12:44 PM

602 posts, read 1,894,226 times
Just avoid Albany, whatever you do. This town has several phases to go through before it gets to "decent", forget about what you're looking for. And it's not so much a racial matter as it is a widespread attitude problem. People here are just used to handouts, and they get bitter/resentful if asked or expected to work, so the tax burden--and burden of making it a bearable place to live--falls on the few people here who ARE willing to get off their butts.

Old 01-18-2008, 02:38 PM

177 posts, read 944,355 times
Mxtd Brit,

You asked if everyone who is white has the same values. Well, I'm of mixed race ("white" and Amerind) and I'm married to a guy who is W-H-I-T-E. We share the same values and I think that over the 30 years we've been together I'd notice if he were prejudiced against people of different races.

Just to assure you, my husband and I have eaten many Sundays in a restaurant in a SMALL town (latest population figures of 336 people) south of Atlanta. This restaurant is a real community hangout, people chatting back and forth, stopping by tables to catch up with each other. Just about every time we've been there we've seen people of mixed race who appeared ENTIRELY comfortable and at home. More importantly, we've seen large tables of Blacks, Whites and mixed race folks eating together and enjoying themselves.

I'm not idiotic enough to think that there could be people in that restaurant who do not approve, but I've seen no sign of it. So, if some of the people are, they seem to keep it to themselves.

Where we live (rural area south of Atlanta) we see people of all races chatting together, women hugging in the grocery store, kids and teenagers playing together, churches with etc. However, I don't want to paint an unrealistic picture. There is a town that's 12-15 miles from us where there is a sense to me (and to Black friends of mine) of racial DISharmony.

Also, again I agree with otoatlanta in thinking that a lot of the "racial" conflict is based in cultural/social and NOT racial differences. In a discussion of race on this forum one writer (and I can't remember his name) made IMHO a good point, "if you dress and act like a thug, don't expect to be treated like a gentleman".

Here's an example of social norms down where we live now that is QUITE different from the western city where we formerly lived: here people address their elders (i.e., not old people, but ANYONE older than they are, regardless of race) as "Miss" or "Mr." and the first name as in "Miss (pronounced "Miz") Charlotte," and "Mr. David". And, when I say regardless of race I mean young "WHITE" adults in addressing older "BLACK" men and women use "Miss" or "Mr." Failure to do so or failure to wave or nod in passing, or to take the time to inquire to inquire how someone and their family are doing -- even in the simplist of social OR BUSINESSS transctions -- is considered very disrespectful. For children if Charlotte Smith is their teacher, she is addressed as "Miss Charlotte" and NOT "Miss Smith". "Yes m'am" and "No sir" are the norm. BTW, most of the streets where we live are mixed in terms of race.

Seems as if race is a current issue on this forum. IMHO most of these posts are by very well meaning folks and I find them enlightening and broadening, but other times it seems as if some people have a (imagined or real) racial axe to grind.

Please don't be frightened of moving to Georgia, we think it's a wonderful place to live and have met and gotten to know a lot of interesting people. Just be cautious in "investigating" where you will be living. As in any other locale,if you actually take the time to look for a harmonious environment, I feel certain that you will find it.

All the best,
zebbie

Old 01-18-2008, 05:43 PM

242 posts, read 813,920 times
thanks Zebbie I am keeping an open mind - most of the time. My motto is not to judge anything (or anyone) until I have 1st hand experience.
Stay positive!!

Old 05-18-2008, 02:46 PM

33 posts, read 133,427 times
Default South East / South Central Georgia

The following I know from personal experience (live, work, school, etc.) I'm sure I'll offend someone, but here goes:

BAD & BORING:
Albany (it's all bad unless you just need to visit a mall. Don't even think about it)

TOO SMALL and/or NON-PROGRESSIVE
:
Fitzgerald, Willacochee, Pearson, Ocilla
(well, there are a few cute girls in these hick towns, but check their dental status to be safe).
Living in Fitzgerald was one of the most miserable experiences of my life. The Civil War is not forgotten here. I was bored to tears. A city ordinance lets lets hundreds (or more) wild chickens roam free in residential neighborhoods, free of harm... I do not find this charming in the least. The only positives in my opinion: a Pizza Hut and a decent technical college..
I could live in Pearson or Willacoochee (which are close enough to each other that I consider them 1 place), if I absolutely had to, but only because they are very cheap towns, and close to Douglas and/or Valdosta. "Nothing to do but get drunk and screw," the residents would say... or smoke pot and/or do other illegal substances. But many people love the quiet, rural areas.
Ocilla has 2 red lights, only 1 fast-food chain (Popeye's) and grocery store (Harveys), almost no jobs, and is not progressive at all. But... a few nice residents. Stay away. Ocilla is 9 miles from Fitzgerald, and they are 2 halves of a non-progressive, boring apple.

SMALL BUT O.K.
: Douglas, Tifton, Waycross
Job market not great unless you are a professional (health care, etc.) or perhaps a teacher, but decent school systems, good housing prices, college and/or tech schools, sufficient shopping for basic needs.
Douglas is 2 - 2.5 hours from the beach, Macon, or Savannah, and 1 hour from Valdosta. If you are a homebody with basic needs of cheap housing, Wal-Mart, a bowling alley, movie theater, and video store, you may survive/thrive in Douglas (or Tifton). Traffic is fine (just don't trust turn signals, or the lack thereof, and don't expect tires to spin when signal lights turn green). I do see a growing problem with prescription drug abuse here (and in most of South GA), but no worse here than most cities. Good place to raise children, cotton, or chickens... not a good place if you are looking for nightlife.
Tifton is much like Douglas, but larger, and right on the interstate, and close to Valdosta. The main draw for me here is... the closest Cracker Barrel and plenty of car dealers, and an excellent hospital for a town its size. I have no idea about nightlife, but it seems to be teenagers riding in circles... or everyone going to Valdosta.
Waycross used to be a clone of Douglas, but is a little different now. They have slightly better shopping, a few more good restaurants, better grocery store options (Kroger). But, like Douglas or Tifton, there is still not much "to do" here.

TINY BUT O.K. if you love the Country
:
BROXTON, GA (1 red light, 1 or 2 convenience stores, housing is cheap, the rednecks are mostly harmless. 10 minutes from Douglas GA).

MEDIUM:
Valdosta
(4-yr college, shopping, pretty safe, nice feel to it. Highly recommended!).
Brunswick/St. Simons (if you want coastal area). 1 hour from Savannah.

LARGER:
Savannah/Thunderbolt
: not perfect, but nice except for crime in SOME areas, and poor public school reputation. Tybee Island (public beach and pier) is 15-20 minutes away, but only the rich can live here. Not for everyone, but plenty of Southern charm, shopping, and decent 4-year college (and overly-expensive art school, SCAD). Visit for a while before you think about moving, because it only suits a certain kind of mindset... I can't quite explain it, and I've lived there twice.

Old 10-19-2008, 01:17 AM

6 posts, read 33,690 times
I'm sorry guys. My intention was not at all to make any sort of racially charged comments. I dont care if you're white, black, or polka-dot.... I don't think any different of you. My reason for specifying race was so that I might live with people that shared my common social and cultural values. I admit that this is a generalization saying that no one of another race shares these same values, but in my experiences, I have found that southern white people, for the most part, share my values moreso than the vast majority of people from other races.
Y'all have a good one and God Bless! :-)

Old 10-28-2009, 01:35 PM

2 posts, read 11,749 times
I live in byron georgia and i would like to move to a more quiter city with my children. I DON'T WANT TO MOVE where there is a lot of racism going on. I am a black american and i don't feel like being mistreated because a group of people don't like the color of my skin. I just want to live kinda country like. I'M originally from Minnesota. I want to live somewhere close to Dublin, Georgia. My husband has to go to the VA there. I need good schools also.

Old 10-29-2009, 11:21 AM

14 posts, read 30,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRE2WAL2 View Post
I live in byron georgia and i would like to move to a more quiter city with my children. I DON'T WANT TO MOVE where there is a lot of racism going on. I am a black american and i don't feel like being mistreated because a group of people don't like the color of my skin. I just want to live kinda country like. I'M originally from Minnesota. I want to live somewhere close to Dublin, Georgia. My husband has to go to the VA there. I need good schools also.
Smaller towns near Dublin with cheaper real estate are Rentz and Dexter. However, if you wish to locate in or near Dublin, the Dublin city schools do a good job with college-prep black students (Dublin High is approximately 75% black).
I would recommend eastern Laurens County for cheaper land values, but I can't recommend the schools on that side as strongly.

Old 10-29-2009, 09:59 PM

1,333 posts, read 3,068,912 times
Sounds like all yall need to move to Alabama. Theres something for everyone and it's all Southern.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia