Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2007, 10:25 PM

6 posts, read 34,774 times

Advertisements

This might sound a little backwards compared to most other posts on this forum, but I have lived in Kennesaw for 19 years and it is getting just too darn progressive and developed for me. I am a white conservative southern baptist male. My question is what is a good little town in Georgia to live in that is your stereotypical "white, conservative, bible belt" town? I know it would be nothing around Atlanta. The metro area is developing and progressing like CRAZY!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2007, 10:42 PM

1,755 posts, read 5,679,870 times
well, from Acworth myself, 29 years, you could move on up to Adairsville/Calhoun area. You won't hit any traffic coming back South until you're in Kennesaw and your close to Tennessee

Old 08-03-2007, 06:52 AM

7,099 posts, read 27,175,023 times
Don't look at anywhere within the metropolian areas surrounding Atlanta, Macon, Savannah, Augusta and Columbia.

There are many small towns in Georgia that are merely spots on the map. and some are even too small to be shown.. I am sure you will find one. But don't look for it to be majority white. In a few years you could find that you had the entire town to yourself. However, if you need to find a job......you may be out of luck

Old 08-03-2007, 05:18 PM

1,072 posts, read 2,033,429 times
Augusta (aka Disgusta) may technically be the second largest city in Georgia but it certainly is not progressive. It is perpetually stuck in neutral. I'd suggest neighboring Columbia County.. It's suburban.. over 80% white and ultra ultra conservative. If you like boring architecture and generic chain restaurants.. you'll love Columbia CO. If you want someplace more "down home" then I would suggest NE GA.. it's like over 90% white and very conservative.. look at Toccoa and Clayton, GA.

Old 08-04-2007, 09:20 PM

22 posts, read 112,222 times
Then he'd have to contend with the huge and growing immigrant population Northeast Georgia has. Probably wouldnt be the best fit but Id agree with Toccoa...it hasnt been hit with lots of undocumented immigrants yet and is very sleepy/backwoodsy. Forget Elberton, Gainesville, (or anywhere in the vicinity of it), Cornelia, Demorest, Helen, Lavonia, Commerce and Cleveland though.

IMHO, Id choose Iva, South Carolina for you. Nothing but white Southern Baptists but be careful.....its one of the top meth producing towns in Upstate SC!!

Old 08-12-2007, 03:37 PM

6 posts, read 34,774 times
Thanks y'all! I was looking to stay in the Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi, Tennessee area to be close to family.

Old 08-13-2007, 01:04 PM

283 posts, read 1,193,403 times
Lets see, most of the eastern side of GA fits; mostly south of I20 between HWY 301 and HWY 441 but north of I20 it isn't as wide of an area. Also south of Griffin following 19&41 and spreading out more to the west the further the go south. Stay west and south of Albany and you should be fine. Look pretty intensely into these areas though, some of them are so behind in times you could find yourself struggling to make a living unless you're creative enough to make a true country living work for you. Some of these places may even require up to an hour drive to get to a true grocery store. Examples are Wrightsville, Tennile, Willacoochee & Mora (I really like cause one of the family farms are there), Sparta, Royston, Toomsboro, McRae, Alamo, Denton, West Green, Homerville, Fargo,Pavo, Iron City, Norman Park, plus there are to many to mention along GA's side of Lake Eufaula and some of the cheapest land in the state is found there too. Most of the small towns along this lake don't even show on a map.
Good luck and if you need more specifics just ask. I know most of these places pretty well.

Old 08-13-2007, 11:32 PM

102 posts, read 375,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pickleswanson View Post
Lets see, most of the eastern side of GA fits; mostly south of I20 between HWY 301 and HWY 441 but north of I20 it isn't as wide of an area. Also south of Griffin following 19&41 and spreading out more to the west the further the go south. Stay west and south of Albany and you should be fine. Look pretty intensely into these areas though, some of them are so behind in times you could find yourself struggling to make a living unless you're creative enough to make a true country living work for you. Some of these places may even require up to an hour drive to get to a true grocery store. Examples are Wrightsville, Tennile, Willacoochee & Mora (I really like cause one of the family farms are there), Sparta, Royston, Toomsboro, McRae, Alamo, Denton, West Green, Homerville, Fargo,Pavo, Iron City, Norman Park, plus there are to many to mention along GA's side of Lake Eufaula and some of the cheapest land in the state is found there too. Most of the small towns along this lake don't even show on a map.
Good luck and if you need more specifics just ask. I know most of these places pretty well.
I live in Willacoochee, so if that may be a consideration for you and you have any questions feel free to ask. We are majority white, but the demographics are changing, as we are having an influx of Hispanics (which I find nothing wrong with as long as they are legal). Almost all of the churches in town are Baptist. It is very conservative here (unfortunately). Overall its a nice little southern quite town, with bigger sized cities (25,000 +/- : Douglas, Tifton, Valdosta, Waycross) no more than a 20 min. to 45 min. drive away. Willacoochee sounds like it may be the place for you!

Old 08-15-2007, 11:12 AM

118 posts, read 465,267 times
Default I'm looking for the same

I would love to find a nice, clean, safe city where there are people who share my conservative, Christian values.
At one time we were thinking about moving to Helen but it has really gone down hill. I think we my look up toward Toccoa.

Old 08-26-2007, 01:47 AM

9 posts, read 48,792 times
Toccoa sounds like a good fit. We are about an hour away from the Atlanta suburbs and we fit much of your description. If you are still looking, check us out.

Last edited by stuartcoker; 08-26-2007 at 01:50 AM.. Reason: didn't read date correctly
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia