Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2007, 01:54 PM

21 posts, read 119,046 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I'm looking to relocate to a mid-size town in Georgia (I currently live in Atlanta and the crowding is really getting to me). I'd like to live in a place that has open-minded and interesting people, and a thriving local artist community. Does anyone know what cities in Georgia are most artistic? I really like Decatur but it's too expensive to live there, but something like that area if you're familiar with it. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2007, 02:35 PM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,207,977 times
Savannah, perhaps?

Old 05-31-2007, 02:48 PM

190 posts, read 739,895 times
What about Pine Lake? It's right outside Decatur, and there are other artists in the city. They had art festivals the last couple of years too. I lived there and LOVED it.

Old 05-31-2007, 06:54 PM

2,814 posts, read 6,845,782 times
We're researching Athens. I haven't been there, but I hear it's very artsy.

Old 05-31-2007, 07:51 PM

726 posts, read 3,589,693 times
Connect Savannah Your Backstage Pass To Arts and Entertainment
Savannah College of Art and Design
City Market, The Art & Soul Of Savannah
Savannah Arts Academy, Savannah, GA (http://www.savannah.chatham.k12.ga.us/Schools/High+Schools/Savannah+Arts+Academy/ - broken link)
Savannah Waterfront Association : Welcome
Savannah Music Festival :: Home
Randy Wood Concert Calendar (broken link)

Old 05-31-2007, 11:46 PM

Thanks for the advice guys! But I am looking to live somewhere with low crime and Savannah and Athens, despite all their obvious charms, have pretty high crime if you check Sperlings.

I guess I should add, preferably within 2-3 hours drive of Atlanta, as I have friends, relatives and events I like to attend here.

Old 06-01-2007, 07:28 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,207,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gimme it View Post
We're researching Athens. I haven't been there, but I hear it's very artsy.
Boozy would be a more fitting one-word description for Athens than artsy.

Old 06-01-2007, 08:49 AM

511 posts, read 2,469,365 times
Savannah is high on the list of what your looking for. Savannah is Georgia's oldest and first city, and one's of the country's oldest cities, art is very expressive, and is shown through the people, and the city scene, by that I mean many of there buildings are great forms of art, along with things that go on around town. I would first suggest Savannah, if not Savannah I would look at Macon, GA, both express somewhat of what your looking for in Decatur but with a little less people. The art scene here in Macon, is growing with the Downtown Area being almost completely revaitilized, and finding a job want be to hard, even if you prefer art being your job, it shouldnt be hard making a living off of it here in Macon. You can also teach art if thats what you enjoy, many new schools are going up, and you shouldnt be offended by the talk of Bibb COunty Schools being all bad.

Here are some links to the Macon Art World
Macon Arts in Macon, Georgia serving the communities of Middle Georgia. Literature, Visual arts, Dance, Theatre, Music
The Middle Georgia Art Association - Home Page
MAS: Home Page -
My Job Recommendations... - 45k -
Macon Magazine - Macon Georgia Entertainment, Restaurants & Tourism (http://www.maconmagazine.com/around_town.cfm?content=AroundTown - broken link) - 31k

Here are some sites if you find Macon to be the right place to move that may come in handy. Also I f you like the art scene in Macon, but dont necessarily like Macon, im sure someone I may also be able to insist in moving to Macon-Metro Area, like Monore County, Houston COunty, Jones COunty, Peach County, and Twiggs County, also if I cant give you the information I will refer you to someone who can or either look the information up myself from my sources. Anywayz, here are the links
Macon.com | Homepage
Bibb County Public Schools
Macon Magazine - Macon Georgia Entertainment, Restaurants & Tourism
The Official City of Macon Web Site - Home Page
Macon Georgia CVB: Macon Hotels, Vacations, Attractions and Tourism
Macon, Georgia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
13WMAZ.com Homepage - Central Georgia's #1 Source for News, Weather and Entertainment
//www.city-data.com/city/Macon-Georgia.html
Bibb County Home Page
Redirecting...

Old 06-01-2007, 02:37 PM

190 posts, read 739,895 times
I still think you should check out Pine Lake. To get to downtown Atlanta may only take 30 mins. Crime is VERY low. There has been no murders, and the other crime is usually simple theft. Here's the site.

http://www.pinelakega.com/

Old 06-01-2007, 03:25 PM

I currently live less than 3 miles from Pine Lake, and let me tell you, it is really nice, an oasis in a beat up, run down area. Do you live there yourself cause if so you know what I'm talking about - Memorial Drive and all that. I just feel the bad areas are too close to it honestly. I'd like to live someplace where there are no ghetto blaster cars and neighbors who think its just fine to play loud music at all hours of the day and night. How's Pine Lake for peace and quiet? I've just visited the lake but never lived there.

Thanks for all the links to Macon, dude, I'll check it out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia