U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2007, 07:57 AM

5 posts, read 31,480 times

Advertisements

I currently live in the Chicagoland area and would love to relocate to the south. I was born and raised in Chicago and have been here mostly all my life. I am tired of the cold, cold winters and all the snow. I am concerned about insects and other little critters. I obviously don't like them--who does? But my 8-year-old son is TERRIBLY afraid of all bugs. He completely freaks out over spiders, bees, even flies. I was seriously considering Texas until I found out there were scorpions there and all over the southwest. Now I am thinking of Atlanta, Savannah, Macon, and Lithonia. But I cannot imagine moving some place where we would have to deal with scorpions, geckos, bats, etc. I would be afraid myself so I would not dare put him through it. Are there specific places in Georgia that I should avoid? Any information would be so greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2007, 09:38 AM
JLA

627 posts, read 2,018,006 times
If you are trying to avoid insects/bugs, then GA is not the place for you. Savannah is below the gnat line in GA and those things will drive you nuts. But is you are interested in thawing out then Savannah is the place, hot and humid and did I mention the bugs. The flies in north GA are horrible. By the way, although scorpions are not plentiful as they are in TX, we do have them, we also have nice supply of snakes, frogs and ... We also have our share of bats. My suggestion to you would be southern New Mexico, very few bugs, winters and summers are nice. Your only concern there would be the scorpions and the occasional rattler. Live there a few years ago and I loved the weather and the scenery.

Old 08-06-2007, 06:02 PM

12 posts, read 50,828 times
Have you considered Phoenix, Arizona? I grew up in Phx, now live in Atlanta. The bugs in GA are abundant to say the least- especially South GA. There really aren't as many scorpions as people think in Phx...I think I've seen a total of 6 to 12 of them in the 20 years I was there.

Old 08-06-2007, 09:50 PM
JLA

627 posts, read 2,018,006 times
I lived in the Phoenix area for 3 years, I could never get use to the heat. Also for a desert town they sure did have a lot mosquitoes. That might have been due to the night watering of the lawns and produce. Of course this was in the early 80's. I have been back since then, a lot has changed, but the heat is still terrible. Sort of like a hair dryer blowing on your face. I know what you are thinking, yea but it's dry heat and you don't sweat. Oh, but you are sweating, the problem is that it dries up so fast that you think you are not and the next thing that happens if you are not drinking enough water is dehydration, then heat stroke. Most of New Mexico on the other hand is high desert, it does not get nearly as hot and it cools off at night.

Old 08-07-2007, 01:41 PM

138 posts, read 637,701 times
Tired of the cold, cold winters and all the snow then Georgia is a place for you, but afraid of all bugs, scorpions, geckos, bats, etc., well Georgia isn't for you.

Old 08-09-2007, 12:41 PM

5 posts, read 31,480 times
Yes, the more I read the more I see that Georgia may not be the ideal place. I did consider Phoenix, but I had the idea that the scorpions were abundant there as well. I truly don't care about normal insects (when I say normal I mean the things that I am used to seeing in Chicago) like bees, flies, wasps, ants, dragonflies, ladybugs, mosquitos, etc. An absolute deal breaker for me would be scorpions and flying roaches! And I'm wondering: How often and where does one see these things? I could just be naive, but I am having a hard time imagining these things can often be found in highly populated, high-traffic, metro areas. Am I wrong about this? I am currently live in a suburb of Chicago and I definitely see more critters out here than I have ever seen in the city. There are still the "normal" ones and the occassional cicada, some skunks, maybe possum, but I NEVER see those in the city. So I'm wondering if it just depends on where you live in Phoenix or Atlanta or other cities in Georgia. What do you guys think?

Old 09-10-2007, 09:43 PM
bri

4 posts, read 17,378 times
Smile Scorpions

I just moved from Connecticut and like you I don't like bugs. Was recently bitten in Connecticut by a northern spider, took me 6 weeks after surgery to recover. Anyways if it is bugs you are worried about, there are more here in ATL but you have lots of options get a good pest control or exterminator. Well tonight I was on the ground level of our home with my wife hanging out and chatting in our breakfast nook when something said go into the kitchen, to our surprise a brown looking scorpion dashes from under the refridgerator acrosss the hard wood floor, I never like scorpions from the islands so as a precaution I caught it and put it out doors. I think I will need to call in the professionals now, I am not interested to get bitten by another bug. What surprises me is that I live like 80 miles from the city of Atlanta, where it gets colder. Just don't worry about bugs. No matter where you move you will need to deal with something. I use to let them bother me. But you need to enjoy your life. Those insects are all part of the food chain of that enviroment and they have been disturbed and confused so they take refuse in your home. Next time you see one just say "Howdy" and put them outside. Enjoy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia