U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Family considering relocating to Georgia from South Eastern Massachusetts, autism resources, public schools, safe neighborhoods, friendliness of people in south

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2007, 07:43 PM

1 posts, read 1,011 times

Advertisements

I live in a smaller town in Georgia (relocated from Des Moines IA) now for 6 1/2 years. Trust me, you will NOT miss the snow and wind. This town is approximately 22-25,ooo people and growing. It is in between Macon and Savannah on I-16. The VA Hospital is here, they have a nice school, Trinity, that many parents enroll their kids in. This town has all the amenities movies, restaurants, library, etc...it is quickly growing. It is a quiet way of life. Not very much crime. My husband is a Deputy Sheriff here so I speaking from first hand experience. The Atlanta airport is easy to get to also. We are selling a home here (FSBO) and will be buying another home here. We are here to stay. The weather is worth it. The name of this town is Dublin. I hope this helps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2007, 12:59 PM

3 posts, read 11,069 times
I live in Cumming, Ga. I have an 8 year old son with ADHD. I decided to homeschool because I believe one on one is the best way to go with him. We "attend" a virtual school called Georgia Virtual Academy. This program is very costly but has recently become free to Georgia residents (along with a few other states). We are assigned a teacher and we communicate via live online sessions and sometimes have to mail in our work. We love the program because we can fit it to our specific needs. I have joined local groups for socialization. We discuss everything from special diets to behavioral techniques. I moved from NY 9 years ago and haven't regretted it since. The neighbors are TOO friendly (bordering nosy), suspicious to a New Yorker who has been taught to not make eye contact. The schools are great & the houses are CHEAP. Suwannee,GA (2 mins from me) has been rated #10 in best places to live in America. You can contact me if you need further help.

Old 11-03-2007, 08:42 PM

5 posts, read 16,174 times
Default I understand.

I am not familiar with the areas that you stated you are focusing on. But I do own a home in Lawrenceville, Ga. It is affordable and the rent is negotiable. It is a family community in a good school district. I would strongly suggest that you utilize the public schools and establish an IEP (individual educational plan) for your child. This can be done through public school and in public school. Lawrenceville schools understand and respond to students with special needs. You would also be about 30 minutes from the City, should your husband and you wish a night out. However, if you prefer the quiet, quaint, old world night out, Moderator cut: tos violation

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 11-04-2007 at 09:05 AM.. Reason: typo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or