U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Family considering relocating to Georgia from South Eastern Massachusetts, autism resources, public schools, safe neighborhoods, friendliness of people in south

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2007, 05:43 PM

6 posts, read 14,149 times

Advertisements

... to Georgia from South Eastern Massachusetts. Finding a job isn't really an issue, as my husband's current employer allows telecommuting, but I am trying to get a feel for what I can expect (besides the shock of little to no snow in the winter, lol). Currently we are focusing most of our attention on Douglasville or Villa Rica. It seems that this area is far more affordable than the area in which we now reside (a 3 bed/1 ba house in need of repairs can sell for 300K ). It also looks like the school system (according to the doe site, anyway) performs better than the schools around here (my sons go to private school because the public school is SO bad around here).

I guess the things I need to know most are:
-are there sufficient resources for children with autism? (our youngest is autistic)
-would I regret sending my sons to public school (I am concerned about education, violence, and drug use, as drug use and violence can be an issue for even 3rd graders around here)?
-would my sons be safe riding their bikes? (I don't dare let them ride their bikes anywhere but my yard here)
-are people really as friendly as they are made out to be? (I don't know anyone there and my entire extended family, as well as my husband's, live in New England-- while I don't mind moving away from them, I don't want to feel so isolated that I can't bear it)

I guess I am hoping for a reprieve from the hectic, unfriendly pace that pervades New England. I want to give my sons a happy, safe upbringing in an area where neighbors are neighbors, not potential plaintiffs or persecutors.

Thanks for any advice
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2007, 07:40 PM

511 posts, read 2,321,518 times
Im not to sure about those areas but the the Houston County community is very great in education, and especially in the need of autism, im not sure on how to relate to your son, and what his needs are or yours, but im sure Houston County can find out, and give it to you all, the city and schools are consist of very low crime, and the school system is ranked one of the highest in Georgia.

Old 08-06-2007, 05:35 AM

52 posts, read 185,987 times
I don't know of the areas your looking at either, but I can say as a northerner (maine for a long time) people were really friendly. When you get to an area, you can always tell where the crime is, and houses are usually a little cheaper than a lot of our NE areas. I enjoy the lack of snow, but the rain has its fair share of days. I'd recomend it, just to get away.

Old 08-07-2007, 02:34 PM

75 posts, read 297,779 times
I am not sure about the areas you mentioned either. Sorry, but I can tell you that Gwinnett County offers a good program that will follow your child through post secondary education.

Old 08-08-2007, 07:06 AM

744 posts, read 2,197,666 times
You may want to consider looking at Peachtree City in Fayette County. The schools in PTCY are excellent and my child's autism spectrum program has been exceptional.
PTCY's crime rate is very low and it has wonderful golf cart paths all through out the city which make it very bike and kid friendly.
It is a very transient community with about 90% of the residents coming from all over the U.S . It also is a quick commute to the Atlanta Airport .

Old 08-08-2007, 10:04 AM

5 posts, read 33,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookwolf View Post
... to Georgia from South Eastern Massachusetts. Finding a job isn't really an issue, as my husband's current employer allows telecommuting, but I am trying to get a feel for what I can expect (besides the shock of little to no snow in the winter, lol). Currently we are focusing most of our attention on Douglasville or Villa Rica. It seems that this area is far more affordable than the area in which we now reside (a 3 bed/1 ba house in need of repairs can sell for 300K ). It also looks like the school system (according to the doe site, anyway) performs better than the schools around here (my sons go to private school because the public school is SO bad around here).

-are there sufficient resources for children with autism? (our youngest is autistic)
-would I regret sending my sons to public school (I am concerned about education, violence, and drug use, as drug use and violence can be an issue for even 3rd graders around here)?
-would my sons be safe riding their bikes? (I don't dare let them ride their bikes anywhere but my yard here)
-are people really as friendly as they are made out to be? (I don't know anyone there and my entire extended family, as well as my husband's, live in New England-- while I don't mind moving away from them, I don't want to feel so isolated that I can't bear it)

I guess I am hoping for a reprieve from the hectic, unfriendly pace that pervades New England. I want to give my sons a happy, safe upbringing in an area where neighbors are neighbors, not potential plaintiffs or persecutors.

Thanks for any advice

I live in the New Georgia area of Villa Rica (considered Paulding County, not Carrollton). My husband and I moved here from Athens, GA (where UGA is located) 2 years ago and love it. The school systems here are wonderful. They are very parent oriented. We were able to buy a NEW 5 bedroom, 3 bath home in a planned community with waterpark and golf course for mid $200's. The neighborhood is just filled with children and there are always activities for them. Our neighbors actually have a son with autism and they say that the parapro's here are definitely "pro's"!

The people are very friendly and it's only a 35 min commute to Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport. The local historic cities such as Dallas and downtown Villa Rica are adorable! They have the cutest boutiques and great food.

As far as Douglasville goes, you couldn't pay us to live there. There's just too many people!! Best of luck!

Last edited by melslegacy; 08-08-2007 at 10:08 AM.. Reason: add in more information

Old 08-08-2007, 02:31 PM

35 posts, read 186,681 times
Quote:

Thanks for any advice
Hey Bookwolf

I also am South Eastern Massachusetts, though after seven years in Atlanta decided to go back. First of let me say Georgia is a great state, though I believe it has some big issues on the horizon. I lived in Alpharetta, Roswell, Marietta, Suwanee, and Cumming. All on the north side of Atlanta. I was a vendor rep and traveled all over GA, SC, TN, and AL.
You will find big cultural differences, they may or not bother you. And I trend to doubt that it has the political furvor of the 2000-2004 period.
The cons:
The traffic in Atlanta is absolutely horrendous, public transportation is sorely lacking, its not pedestrian friendly, and the housing market at the moment is really starting to not look so good... as far as foreclosures go. They need some major infrastructural improvements... water, sewer, road miles. They grew a bit too fast. My sister has a son with Asberger's enrolled in the Forsyth County school system, she is currently dissatisfied with the County and State on this issue. There are options, but at her expense.
Politically and socially very conservitive, again without knowing you I cant say if its a good fit. But get ready to be the only one with your opinion, and dont expect any compassion when you are in the minority.
A bit cookie cutter at times.
Not much cultural diversity when it came to food- not alot of authentic foreign cuisines.
A fairly intolerant/xenophobic place.
Not a strong appreciation of the arts.

The pros:
The people are very friendly and inviting. You may find a very warm greeting in your new neighborhood, cake and all.
Very strong communities. Very active in Church groups.
The customer service tends to be excellent. Something we in the North should take note of, and emulate. They kick our butts on this issue.
The weather is fantastic, I found myself getting sick of all that darn sun. I wanted a nice rainy day or two to veg on the couch, all to often to no avail.

To me the pros were superficial, and the cons look fairly destructive on the quality of life in teh long term.

After all, how does a state pay for al those new roads, schools, sewer and water systems.... they raise your taxes.

Fortunately, in Mass we paid for those buildouts a long time ago. Now we just maintain and improve...

Old 08-09-2007, 06:33 AM

Default Thanks for the insights...

I really appreciate them!

Some things mentioned wouldn't bother me at all--

-the Mass. city I live in has 4 times the population and twice the pop. density (people per sq. mile) as Doulgasville.
-opinion wise, I am usually in the minority where I live anyway (there aren't a lot of politically conservative, born again Christians in New England) lol
-transportation wise <shrug>, I am very used to living in an area where "public transportation" means taking a taxi, or riding the 30 year old buses that never seem to go anywhere I want to go, and the only thing within walking distance is the local hair salon (our high school has a vocational hair stylists' program, so on any given block, you can find up to half a dozen hair salons) , not to mention that since my husband telecommutes, traveling for work isn't really an issue

I really just want to live in an area that I can afford to become a homeowner (houses here can go for 300K for a 3bed/ 1ba in need of serious repairs)
and where my kids will be safe playing outside, where my neighbors won't threaten to prosecute me if my sons ball ends up in their yard again, where it won't cost me $500 month to heat my house between October and May (oil prices have nearly doubled in the past two years), where I can send my kids to a school that will teach them AND protect them from drugs and violence, where my autistic son can receive services equal to or surpassing what he currently does, etc

Thanks again for your help!

Old 08-09-2007, 09:51 PM

276 posts, read 1,045,433 times
Quote:

Thanks for any advice
Bookwolf,
What part of Ga are you looking at? What part of Mass are you from? I moved from MA 15 years ago and dont miss it (or the people) one bit...aside from F&F of course..I live in SWFL but am moving to NE GA in the next month or two and cant wait...GA is a great state. I cant say enough about it and I cant add much to your comments etc about MA...A beautiful area for sure but not the people(most not all) or the lifestyle...It has changed severely over the last several years and NONE for the better..Sad but true...
Take Care
Lisa

Last edited by nibseysgirl; 08-09-2007 at 09:55 PM.. Reason: added something

Old 08-10-2007, 08:34 AM

Default To nibseygirl...

...We are looking at areas around Atlanta, primarily Douglasville and Villa Rica (though not closed to the idea of other areas). We want to be within driving distance of ATL, just in case my husband is ever laid off or decides to change jobs (Atlanta seems to be one of the few cities in GA that have a high number of tech jobs available at any given time)...

...We currently live in Fall River (birthplace of Emeril Lagasse, home to the USS Battleship Massachusetts Maritime museum, and <ugh>, famous for the alleged Lizzie Borden murders)...

...and F&F ? You'll probably tell me what that is, and I'll smack my forehead and go, "oh, yeah!" In the meantime, I am not sure what you are referring to?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or