Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2007, 03:20 PM

539 posts, read 2,102,051 times

Advertisements

I would like to thank everyone who has offered such valuable information and opinions. This web site has been such a huge help in deciding where we will relocate to.

We have narrowed our choices to Newnan, Peachtree City and possibly Bremen.

Unfortunately, there hasn't been much response to my post asking for information on Bremen. We didn't have a chance to visit Bremen but it was suggested to us by a future co-worker. If anyone has anything to offer on the city of Bremen I would really appreciate it. The schools in Bremen are ranked well and the crime seems to be pretty low. That is all I know about the area. I wonder if the locals are accepting to transplants? Are there many transplants? Restaurants, shopping, entertainment, parks and rec?

Thanks again for all of the really great information provided to me over the past few weeks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2007, 08:55 PM

1,088 posts, read 6,339,883 times
I don't think you've gotten much response on Bremen because not many know anything about it. It's pretty far out there, and pretty small. I would think there isn't much going on there, probably not a lot of shopping or entertainment options but I've never been there so I can't really help. Hopefully somebody knows something about it and can chime in.

Old 04-18-2007, 09:52 PM

61 posts, read 355,812 times
Let’s see:

Entertainment: I used to go to the movies in Bremen when I was a kid. But the movie theater closed down years ago and I do not believe that a theater has reopened.

The major local event is the Sacred Harp singing that occurs twice every year at the Holly Springs Primitive Baptist church. This type of singing was popular before the Civil War and remains unchanged. The movie Cold Mountain has a scene that shows Sacred Harp singing.

Parks: I think there is a sports park on the east side of town that has baseball fields and stuff. The only other park that I can think of is the John Tanner State Park near Carrollton. It has a lake with a sandy beach for swimming and picnics.

Shopping: Until recently, the main shopping area in Bremen was a small shopping center with a small Wal-Mart and a small grocery. Not long ago, a new Super Wal-Mart opened on the west side of town that has now become the place to go shopping. It seems unbelievable to me that Bremen now has a Super Wal-Mart.

Restaurants: There are several fast food places such as McDonald's near I-20. And the usual Pizza Hut, Papa John's, Subway, along with the standard Mexican and Chinese restaurants that you typically find in small Georgia towns.

I did eat at the Hometown Café in Bremen last year and enjoyed the Southern cooking there. Also Bilbo's Bar-B-Que is pretty good.

That's about it. I don’t believe that you will find a restaurant like Chili’s there.

Old 04-19-2007, 04:38 AM

Default Thanks

Thank you so much! It may be small but it sounds delightful. My husband prefers rural so this may be a place where he can hang his hat.

Thanks again!

Old 04-19-2007, 06:18 AM

511 posts, read 2,476,417 times
I didnt know much about Bremen, Georgia, until you thread. I have researched some information and here is what I have.

The population is 4,579 ( 2000 ) and 5,350 ( 2005 est. / 16.8 % change )
There were 428 incidents of crimes last year including 2 rapes.
The area tends to recieve 1in. of snowfall annually from Dec-Jan.
Average sunshine is 75% of the days out the year.
Higgins General Hospital is the local hospital, it has 73 beds, and not equip to handle anything
major, the hospital is pretty basic. Meaning you would probably be airlifted, or tansported by emergency vehicle into the Atlanta-Metro Area for major incidents.
State University of West Georgia, located in Carrollton, Ga has 7,241 full time enrollment, one of the largest for northwest Georgia.
Bremen head's its own education system, which puts them in charge of Bremen High School, Sewell Middle School, and Jones Elementary School.
John Tanner Park is a very good park about 11-13 miles away from Bremen city limits outside of Carrollton, Ga the park featyres 138 acres to swim, camp, hike, play volleyball, minature golf, rental for pedal and fishing boat are also here. The park is said to have the largest beach of Georgia's State Parks.
There is also Talley Valley Park located in Bremen, and Haralson Co. Golf located in Haralson County. Lion Golf Course is located near I-20. Mirror Lake Golf Course which is pretty huge located outside of Villa Rica.

Here is some facts that may interest you. Median Hosehold income is below State Average, Median House Value is below state average, number of college students is below state average, and percentage of pop with bachcelor degree or higher is below state average.

Also, there is not much shopping to do, however there are things like a pawn shop, bar,, and probably a barber shop located in Bremen's downtown, just little things, for major shopping like Wal-mart, and etc. you would probably have to go into the Atlanta-Metro Area. East Point, College Park are the closest, or maybe even Rome, Georgia.

Last edited by MayorOfMacon2019; 04-19-2007 at 06:29 AM..

Old 04-20-2007, 07:39 PM

3 posts, read 14,551 times
Talking Bremen

Hi...I have a best friend who lives in Bremen. Not only is the area beautiful but both her girls were in the school system from 94 to 2006 and they were both
straight A/B students. I have visited the area on my way to Alabama and it is
just nice small town. My friend drives to Rome Ga to work and her boyfriend
works in Carrolton Ga. I took her advice to work in Rome Ga as well but I will be living in Centre Al (my parent's are retiring here). But from what I saw of it-breath taking beauty compared to where I am from in Fl. Hopes this helps.

Old 04-21-2007, 04:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilbtz73 View Post
Hi...I have a best friend who lives in Bremen. Not only is the area beautiful but both her girls were in the school system from 94 to 2006 and they were both
straight A/B students. I have visited the area on my way to Alabama and it is
just nice small town. My friend drives to Rome Ga to work and her boyfriend
works in Carrolton Ga. I took her advice to work in Rome Ga as well but I will be living in Centre Al (my parent's are retiring here). But from what I saw of it-breath taking beauty compared to where I am from in Fl. Hopes this helps.
Thankyou, your post is very helpful. The area was suggested for the commute time (my husband will have the same commute as your friends boyfriend) but I wanted to be sure that it was beneficial for more than that reason. Good luck on your move as well!

Old 04-23-2007, 03:03 PM

61 posts, read 355,812 times
cool_mommy, I have thought about it and I would have a hard time making your decision. If the decision was mine and I had young children, I would lean toward Bremen.

Ten years ago, Bremen would have been too small for me. And in the past, Bremen has not been part of the new prosperity that has been occurring in Georgia. For years, Bremen seemed to barely change at all. But there is a lot of new stuff now, although it is still small. I like the idea of kids growing up in a small town like Bremen. And Atlanta is less than an hour away.

Newnan would probably be less of a cultural adjustment for you and has a lot more transplants. But I would not be able to make a decision in advance. If it were me, I would put most of my belonging in temporary storage and rent a place until I was sure of where I wanted to live. I realize that this is a hassle, but the consequences of buying a house where you are not happy are much worse.

Old 04-23-2007, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Eagle View Post
cool_mommy, I have thought about it and I would have a hard time making your decision. If the decision was mine and I had young children, I would lean toward Bremen.

Ten years ago, Bremen would have been too small for me. And in the past, Bremen has not been part of the new prosperity that has been occurring in Georgia. For years, Bremen seemed to barely change at all. But there is a lot of new stuff now, although it is still small. I like the idea of kids growing up in a small town like Bremen. And Atlanta is less than an hour away.

Newnan would probably be less of a cultural adjustment for you and has a lot more transplants. But I would not be able to make a decision in advance. If it were me, I would put most of my belonging in temporary storage and rent a place until I was sure of where I wanted to live. I realize that this is a hassle, but the consequences of buying a house where you are not happy are much worse.
Thank you for your well thought out response Blue Eagle. I totally agree with your logic when it comes to renting first. Yes, it can be a hassle, we have done it before while waiting for our house to be completed. It isn't the hassle that stops us from renting this time. My concern is my children. They are 8 and 10 and I am certain this is going to be a very hard adjustment for them. They are both on the shy side and have made some really good friends where we live now. I can't imagine moving them to say, Newnan for 6 months to a year, only to decide that Bremen is more suited for our family and then to have to uproot them once more. I know that children our resilent but I work as a Paraprofessional in an elementary school and I have seen personally how hard of an adjustment it can be and how long it takes to make such an adjustment.

This has been a long thought out process for my husband and I. We are just quite worried about the implications of 2 moves as opposed to just the one. That is why I have posted so may questions and spent the last 6 weeks doing exhaustive research. More than anything I want to make this adjustment as smooth as possible.

Another consideration with renting is our "fur family". We have 3 dogs and 2 cats. I'm sure most people in their right mind wouldn't rent to us.

Any additional thoughts on these situations are most welcomed!

Old 08-06-2007, 07:02 AM

1 posts, read 3,306 times
Default The City of Bremen

My name is Julia Stephenson and I am the Better Hometown Manager for the City of Bremen. A town local made me aware of your postings and I will attempt to provide you with relevant information regarding the city and the lifestyle that comes with living here. Of course, you are more than welcome to contact me personally at Bremen City Hall (770-537-2331) or by e-mail at jstephenson@bremenga.gov for more information.

Currently, Bremen has more than 380 commercial and industrial businesses with a strong mix of major corporations and small businesses. Bremen has a strong workforce with an average unskilled starting pay of $8.00/hr and an average skilled starting pay of $13.00/hr. There are two industrial sites within the city limits and 2 others within Haralson County. The City of Bremen also affords easy access to:
 Major Highways and Interstates
-An extensive highway system includes Interstate 20, U.S. Hwy. 78 and 27 which is a 4-lane to I-75.

 Railroads
-Norfolk Southern Rail Service
-Intermodal Terminal located 35 miles away
-Piggy-back service available
-North/South 6 Trains Daily
-East/West 25 Trains Daily

 Airports
-Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport – 45 Minutes –
-Birmingham Airport – 90 Minutes
-West Georgia Regional Airport – 15 Minutes

 Strategic Location
-Atlanta is 45 miles east of Bremen
-Birmingham, Alabama is 99 miles west of Bremen
-Chattanooga, Tennessee is 109 miles north of Bremen

Bremen, being the hub of Haralson County, offers one of the most pro-business environments in Georgia. The Haralson County Tax Advantage Program provides tax and incentive structures that are unsurpassed in North Georgia and Metro Atlanta. Companies expanding or locating within Bremen can now receive cash for Georgia jobs or investment tax credits. This gives Bremen a significant economic development advantage over all other Metro Atlanta areas.

In order to keep up with the changing face of technology and to enhance the ability to deliver services in the 21st century, Haralson County has invested in emerging technologies and improved infrastructure that will support the growth of new and existing industries. Located within Bremen, SynchroNet, with its SynchroNet Global and SynchroNet Communications subsidiaries, has partnered with the county to bring West Georgia a carrier quality network based on a fiber optic backbone utilizing state of the art equipment and technology.

Other support services within Bremen include a variety of organizations including a supportive and aggressive Chamber of Commerce and from construction companies to printing companies.

Not only does Bremen have superior services for businesses; it also caters to those residing within community. The City of Bremen is able to boasts its State recognized school system with pride. The Bremen City School System is composed of four schools, H.A Jones Elementary, Sewell Middle School, Bremen High School, and Bremen Crossroads Academy. There are 1,674 students served in grades K – 12, and 101 students in the Pre-Kindergarten Program. Thirty percent of the students are out-of-district students who pay tuition in order to attend the Bremen School System. These out-of-district students commute from Haralson, Carroll, and Douglas counties to attend our schools. Haralson County also provides Higher Education, Option for offering technical programs, and training through the West Central Technical College, which is, located within the Waco City limits 2 miles away.

Located right in the heart of the City of Bremen, Higgins General Hospital became affiliated with Tanner Health System in 1998. The 25-bed critical access hospital recently underwent an extensive $7.5 million renovation and expansion and offers its community inpatient as well as outpatient medical services including a 24-hour Emergency Department, same-day surgery, lithotripsy, and a wide range of outpatient services.

The City of Bremen also has ample leisure activities available to entertain and keep local residents active. The Bremen Parks and Recreation Department and Senior Center offer numerous programs in both sports and leisure. Over 1,500 residents participate in over 65 programs throughout the year. Also provided are several different mini camps during the summer and classes that range from Mom & Me music classes to yoga/aerobics classes that remain ongoing.

Also among the leisure activities offered, situated amidst towering pines, the Lion Golf Club's luxurious course stretches along 7,086 yards through lush greens and winding streams. An Arthur Davis Designed Signature Course, the par-72 layout features fast, undulating greens and intricate bunkers sure to test even the most experienced players' skills.

Imagine a place to begin again.
A new frontier with wide-open spaces and plenty of room to build your dream.
A business climate ripe for success.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia