Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2011, 09:37 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,571,506 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Febtober View Post
Are these tier levels actual defined classifications or just rough informal ideas about a city's population/sphere of influence?

Either way, Atlanta is clearly the only city in the state that could be considered "tier one." Any other city is a very, very, distant second (not that that means there's anything wrong with them. I'd be surprised if anyone outside of Georgia could even point to these secondary cities on a map or has ever heard of them to begin with. Hell, the only reason I even know where Macon and Savannah are is because I used to make the drive from Atlanta to Brunswick a few times a year.
Most people across the southeast know where they are, the rest of the country, probably not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2011, 10:24 AM

82 posts, read 250,119 times
Just an opinion but its where the major corporations operate that determines how many tier cities there are in a state. I think Georgia has always had a great opportunity to have several major cities, however, there are no incentives to organizations setting up operations to allow employment. Farms and acerage do make large cities....

Old 06-30-2011, 05:01 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,909,282 times
why are people so obsessed with this "only one major metro in Georgia" thing?! Chicago is not only the ONLY major metro in Illinois, it accounts for 75 percent of that state's population! At least half of Georgia's popylation lives outside the Atlanta Metro (about equal to the entire state populations of Alabama or South Carolina) and that's saying something!

Old 06-30-2011, 05:58 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,857,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
At least half of Georgia's popylation lives outside the Atlanta Metro (about equal to the entire state populations of Alabama or South Carolina) and that's saying something!
That Georgia is pretty rural outside of metro Atlanta.

Old 06-30-2011, 11:54 PM

97 posts, read 231,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
why are people so obsessed with this "only one major metro in Georgia" thing?! Chicago is not only the ONLY major metro in Illinois, it accounts for 75 percent of that state's population! At least half of Georgia's popylation lives outside the Atlanta Metro (about equal to the entire state populations of Alabama or South Carolina) and that's saying something!
Yeah, and I love the fact that there are more true and natural Georgians outside of Atlanta. Atlanta should not even be the capital either because its demographics surely do not represent the state. The suburbs of Atlanta to me are a disgrace to places like South GA as far as being authentic. One other thing that irks me is that a lot of the rest of the state is forgotten when it comes to government help or attention in favor of Atlanta related matters. It actually reminds of how Western Maryland is forgotten in favor of the suburban areas of DC and Baltimore.

Old 07-01-2011, 05:52 AM

2,565 posts, read 5,511,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by In Valdosta View Post
Yeah, and I love the fact that there are more true and natural Georgians outside of Atlanta.
How is any citizen of the state more true or natural than another?

Old 07-01-2011, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Well, there are quite a few more Atlantans that are not originally from that area, than in any one area of the rest of Georgia. That is really all I want to say right now about it. I have a feeling you may either be an Atlantan, Pro- Atlanta, or someone who could be another tester to 'feel' me out or to set me up for an argument. I could add much more but I have decided for now to leave my explanation as it is. Sorry, if you wanted more. Perhaps in the future.It is ver much a shame when certain people cannot say what they truly want most of the time in this forum.
I'm not sure what you're getting at. I'm from Brunswick, spent a majority of my life in and around Atlanta, and live out of state now.

If whatever you think is so controversial that you're afraid to post it for fear of getting into an argument, then maybe there's a good reason...

What I don't like is the mentality there's "us" and then there's "them." We're the "real people" and then there's everyone else. I've never been clear on where the distinction between the two lies. Kind of like how Sarah Palin was going on about "real America." I live in Manhattan, am I not a real American?

I know that's getting off topic from the comment about Georgians that you made, but it seems to be in the same vein.

Old 07-01-2011, 02:55 PM

Quote:
I know what goes on in here, you are of 'senior member' status and I am simply a member. So if I disagree or be negative to you, I will go down no matter what you say to me. I have gotten to wise to fall for it, and it is a straight up shame that this forum and moderators can be like that.
I really doubt that it's like that. I think the only reason I'm a "senior" member is because I registered a long time ago. Then I left my account dormant and only began posting relatively recently.

Anyway, I'm still not sure what you're getting at. For the record, I greatly prefer cities and urban areas to suburbs. I left an easy and high paying job in Orange County, California and took a job in New York City, where I took a pay cut and got a higher cost of living, because I was getting tired of strip malls and highways. Of course I recognize that that's how I feel now, while I'm young-ish, and my opinions may change as I get older. I grew up in the suburbs though, and I really enjoyed my childhood, so I don't hate the suburbs, just people with the mentality that cities are the embodiment of everything wrong with the world.

Old 07-02-2011, 09:25 PM

7,526 posts, read 11,358,025 times
New York state just has NYC as it's main city. Does anyone ever think about Buffalo?

Illinois just has Chicago as it's main city. What other city in Illinois is on the national map in people's minds?

Old 07-02-2011, 09:37 PM

635 posts, read 1,509,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
New York state just has NYC as it's main city. Does anyone ever think about Buffalo?

Illinois just has Chicago as it's main city. What other city in Illinois is on the national map in people's minds?
Yeah I definitely think of buffalo they have an nfl and nhl team and illinois special because you have gary, indiana and milwaukee nearby you don't get that with atlanta. I'm sure if more of illinois was bordering the great lakes it would be different people in a state with such a large and important resource as a great lake usually migrate towards them. And with chicago being that city it is the center of attention.

Last edited by Bizurko; 07-02-2011 at 09:47 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia