Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2006, 10:25 AM

11 posts, read 51,045 times

Advertisements

i plan to move to Georgia. I would like to live OTP. I prefer the Atlanta metro area to work and play. I have a friends who moved to atlanta. I visited several times in the past two years. I wouldl ike to relocate,, i have been having one heck of a time finding work. I have over a decade of experience in I.T.\ Healthcare Administration. I have some inquires and one interview but no job. I am confident of my abilities and will graduate soon with an MBA. II am told that it is very hard to land a Gig in metro Atlanta. My friends say that it is who you know? Can anyone elaborate?

Thanks!

P.s. I have cheked many sites such as Monster, Dice, ajcjobs, etc. Does it hurt that I am not local?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2006, 10:26 AM

722 posts, read 3,317,166 times
The JOb market is very strong. It wasn't about 5 years ago after the dot com bust, but now things are great. The best places to go are places with new hospitals and new health clinics opening up out in the exurbs. Where are you from?

Old 07-07-2006, 11:13 AM

985 posts, read 5,759,483 times
I am not sure about IT/health. I am just talking IT in general. I think that IT market in Atlanta is ok.

Anything is relative. I used to live in Dallas, TX. As an IT professional, I couldn't get a job over there due to mass telecom layoff. That market is dead, in my opinion. Since I moved to Atlanta a year and half ago, I am in my second job.

However, due to layoff or potential layoff at Delta, BellSouth, GM, Ford and Verizon, I am not sure the potential job market for IT industry.

Certainly, if you are out of market, you will have tough time to get a job. IT industry in general is not that hot. When I was looking for an atlanta job and I was in Dallas a year ago, I have to tell them that I am willing to move at my own expense. Even that, I have difficult to get recruiter to call me back. However, after my contract was up for my first job, I was able to get ten leads within two weeks because I already live in Atlanta.

Old 07-07-2006, 02:44 PM

11 posts, read 51,045 times
I have some years of experience in Healthcare Admin in addition to I.T.
I have stated that i will move at my own expense. Great advice Tdiddy, i will target clinics and hospitals. I guess I will keep trying, it has been the toughest job market to penetrate. I have received offers from surrounding states but no luck in Atlanta? Okay who's hoarding all the jobs!

Old 07-07-2006, 03:20 PM

1 posts, read 7,227 times
I too am looking to transplant to the Atlanta area, but the one thing that should be mentioned is that out of state resumes/applicants might be passed over, since they want to hire someone already in the area.

In my case, I probably will move there for a couple months, build some contacts and after I land the job, move entirely.

Old 07-07-2006, 03:20 PM

726 posts, read 3,604,199 times
Try Savannah with all of the retirees the hospitals are expanding as fast as they can build....

Old 07-11-2006, 09:58 PM

26 posts, read 365,415 times
Default Moving to Georgia

Hi, www.salary.com will tell you how much to expect to be paid for your industry in area of choice. Very useful info and free! Good Luck.

Old 07-13-2006, 12:30 PM

29 posts, read 162,542 times
As much as I hate it, our family home is for sale because of the local
job market. We are actually looking at Ohio because of the wages vs.
cost of living ratio. My husband already has a job if he wants it. First
we need to sell our house which is languishing on the market.

Old 11-03-2009, 10:41 PM

1 posts, read 5,459 times
The job market in Georgia sucks right now. I moved out there a month ago. I lived there for 3 months and had several interviews, but no hires. I have always been able to find work in my former state, which I moved back to. I plan on trying to relocate to Georgia one day, but am not going without a job first.

Old 11-08-2009, 06:08 PM

1,209 posts, read 2,250,713 times
I got a gig with the government's Americorps program this July, a gig with a tutoring firm on weekends, and I just got a gig as an intern for a government agency, landed the interview this September, started this month.

There is stuff out there. Both government jobs I found on my school's job board, and the tutoring firm, I left a resume there early summer and they called back a few weeks later.

Publix even called me after a month after I submitted an application but I was full time with the volunteering (I've quit that now). My vision of the job market has went from bleak to pretty good. At least for me, the light is clearly at the end of the tunnel for Georgia, the economy, etc.

BTW, check out this and see if it helps.

//www.city-data.com/forum/atlan...-holidays.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
View detailed profiles of: