U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2011, 08:03 AM

11 posts, read 39,797 times

Advertisements

Hi!!!
I have been wanting to relocate to Georgia for a very long time. I was hoping for any recommendations you might have on location or where to start. I prefer rural and the more rural the better. I would need a job but it does not have to be the most glamorous job. I would be looking to rent or a rent to own or even to purchase some land. Any recommendations or if you know of anyone that has something available, let me know! I would also need a place that allows a flock of chickens.
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2011, 08:41 AM

198 posts, read 389,298 times
how much land would you want to purchase and what is your budget?

Old 07-13-2011, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sith View Post
how much land would you want to purchase and what is your budget?
Very low budget so the cheaper the better for us! We just need a more relaxed life now. Just need enough land so we don't have neighbors real close and we would need of course to be able to have a well if it doesn't have that already. Even an old fixer upper will be fine.
We don't need alot and I am actually looking forward to having a bit simpler life! I have always enjoyed Georgia, love the country there and have wanting to be able to do this for years and now that the kids are grown, we can do this with much less needs! Oh, the warmer weather is a plus too!

Old 07-13-2011, 09:11 AM

you might want to look into wrens, ga. (something outside the city limits). that is what i did when i retired a few years ago. i know there is land available around here and chickens as i hear a rooster every morning LOL.

Old 07-13-2011, 10:09 AM

Thank you! I will check this area out! I appreciate it and am looking for nice places to start and the rooster crowing is a plus!

Old 07-20-2011, 10:38 AM

91 posts, read 268,003 times
I would check out Paulding, Polk or haralson Counties.

Old 07-20-2011, 04:41 PM

14 posts, read 41,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreRatRace View Post
Very low budget so the cheaper the better for us! We just need a more relaxed life now. Just need enough land so we don't have neighbors real close and we would need of course to be able to have a well if it doesn't have that already. Even an old fixer upper will be fine.
We don't need alot and I am actually looking forward to having a bit simpler life! I have always enjoyed Georgia, love the country there and have wanting to be able to do this for years and now that the kids are grown, we can do this with much less needs! Oh, the warmer weather is a plus too!
Definitely check out the areas around Blairsville, Blue Ridge, and Young Harris. These are rural areas having small towns yet 1 1/2 to 2 hours from Atlanta.

Old 07-21-2011, 04:48 PM

1,474 posts, read 3,197,415 times
Rural life does not mean simpler, just different difficulties. And if you need to work, there is a lot less of it in the rural areas. Scarce enough in metro areas. A former realtor told me that he did not sell houses, he sells dreams and fantasies.

In GA there is such a thing as a gnat line. These little critters flying around your face and ears will drive you nuts. GA is not paradise. There are tons of negatives which you need to be aware of.

You told us nothing about you and yours other than you want a simpler life. Rural areas are everywhere and in warm climates. Need medical coverage? Harder to come by in rural areas.

What are your needs other than simpler?

Old 07-28-2011, 05:45 AM

Well, My needs are simpler and warmer weather. I do live in a rural area and always have so I have done the 1 hour commute each way to work everyday for the past 20 some years. By simpler I mean we are at the point in our lives that I don't need that high paying job anymore so a simple life with simple needs. Material things don't matter to us anymore. I currently live on a farm so I would like something similar. We are by no means accustomed to city life if that is how it had sounded and want to keep our rural life pretty much the same but need a better climate for health reasons.
I have always loved Georgia whenever going through, love the scenery, the people, vegetation....so we wanted to look there and also keep our rural lifestyle but had no idea where to start looking that might accommodate our needs.
Like in my original post, I want to be able to keep raising chickens and possibly other livestock as well. If not, the chickens are enough to keep me busy.
So, I meant I did not also want to have to commute to a city everyday to work and a warmer climate in a rural area.
I just got laid off yesterday so now would be a perfect time for me to start looking and visiting the possible areas that might work for us.

Old 07-28-2011, 06:10 AM

i'll stick with my invitation to wrens. yes, we are below the gnat line but they only bother me when i am pulling weeds. dr and dentist a mile away just inside the city line. a lot of people commute to augusta...30 miles...for work or to ft gordon which is even closer. lots more medical facilities in augusta and a smaller hospital in louisville, which is the same county as wrens. neighbors accross the road have alpacas and i know some people have goats. someone around here has a cow as i sometimes hear it mooing. very simple lifestyle if material things are not important.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia