Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2011, 10:11 AM

1 posts, read 1,547 times

Advertisements

I'm a 26 year truck driver, looking to find either very rural towns or even primitive real estate in southern Georgia; places where you can find $2-300/month rent or small abandond, fix-up properties. I have pre-teens that I want to introduce to quiet country fishing and calm weekends without skating parties, mp3s or TVs. I'd rather hav areas far away from Wal-marts, malls and shopping strips. Interstate access and city utilities are not a priority; just quiet and cheap ... fresh air, without a bunch of power lines. Can anybody give me a few places I can drive thru?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2011, 06:42 AM

23,447 posts, read 44,050,291 times
Sounds like Waycross, GA would be a good candidate, especially for an outdoorsman. What better place to be than on the edge of the Okefenokee?

City of Waycross, Georgia

Okefenokee.com - The Okefenokee Swamp Homepage

Waycross Ga Apartments Homes for rent, Lease Rent in Waycross Georgia

Old 07-18-2011, 12:43 PM

2,399 posts, read 4,215,364 times
It sounds like most of South Georgia away from the coast, Valdosta, Albany, and Statesboro would meet your specifications.

Old 07-18-2011, 03:18 PM

744 posts, read 2,481,397 times
Alma, Georgia - one of the most isolated towns in Georgia. 1 hour from any major highways ( I 16 , I 95 , I 75 ). It is not far from Waycross.

Old 07-18-2011, 03:43 PM

767 posts, read 2,290,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by go falcons View Post
Alma, Georgia - one of the most isolated towns in Georgia. 1 hour from any major highways ( I 16 , I 95 , I 75 ). It is not far from Waycross.
I used to live up the road from Alma in Baxley. Everyone said Baxley was certrally located, 100 miles to anywhere.

Old 07-23-2011, 06:10 PM

10,743 posts, read 13,375,951 times
Check out Americus. Lovely town far from the interstate. Nice people. There is a Walmart on the outskirts of town, but plenty of hunting and fishing opportunities.

Old 07-23-2011, 06:26 PM

876 posts, read 2,277,535 times
Basically the farther away you are from the interstates (I-75, 16) - the more rural it generally is.

Americus, Moultrie and Bainbridge are some nice relatively cheaper areas in Southwest Georgia, you would probably luck out in the smaller towns near these areas. Over towards the coast, you have Vidalia and Fitzgerald.

In middle Georgia, I like Fort Valley, Thomaston, and Talbotton and so on near Macon and Columbus, but that might not be far south enough for you. The smaller towns in these areas could be up your alley, I would drive around a lot and see if you haven't already.

You can find many very rural areas in the least populated counties. You can search prices online. As you get closer to the coast itself and Savannah, it tends to get pricier. Just search for them and you can narrow down some areas you might like. Good luck.

Old 07-24-2011, 04:51 PM

562 posts, read 1,125,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SW30303 View Post
Basically the farther away you are from the interstates (I-75, 16) - the more rural it generally is.

Americus, Moultrie and Bainbridge are some nice relatively cheaper areas in Southwest Georgia, you would probably luck out in the smaller towns near these areas. Over towards the coast, you have Vidalia and Fitzgerald.

In middle Georgia, I like Fort Valley, Thomaston, and Talbotton and so on near Macon and Columbus, but that might not be far south enough for you. The smaller towns in these areas could be up your alley, I would drive around a lot and see if you haven't already.

You can find many very rural areas in the least populated counties. You can search prices online. As you get closer to the coast itself and Savannah, it tends to get pricier. Just search for them and you can narrow down some areas you might like. Good luck.
I know for a fact that homes and land down around the Fitzgerald area are dirt cheap, especially with all of the major industries: Delphi/GM, Shaw Industries, and Coachmen all either shutting down, or greatly reducing their workforces during recent years. You can buy acreage with a pond for about $50K, a nice house for between $40-80K. However, it does have a Super Walmart. The downsides are that the tax millage rate there rivals, if not exceeds that of some of the Metro Atlanta counties, the schools are suspect, and there are some areas where crime can be an issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia