Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2011, 01:17 PM

2,014 posts, read 5,101,169 times

Advertisements

Augusta having a larger MSA population than Macon and Columbus' CSA sounds great and also may seem to suggest "if Augusta's MSA is larger than their CSAs, imagine how big the gap would be if Augusta had a CSA too" but actually Augusta's MSA covers more land than the CSAs of Macon and Columbus. Give the Macon CSA that much land and you'd have to include Milledgeville/Baldwin County micropolitan (nearly 50,000) and maybe even Dublin/Laurens County micropolitan (also nearly 50,000 +). I do think Augusta is "more built up" and a larger city/urban area but maybe not by as big of a margin as the MSA and CSA #s suggest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2011, 01:52 PM

1,074 posts, read 1,533,081 times
I hope what you all are saying is that these three cities will catch up with their piers Atlanta, and Savannah in population tourism and SKYLINE/METRO.

Old 08-21-2011, 03:38 PM

Location: Augusta, GA ''The fastest rising city in the southeast''
7,508 posts, read 15,101,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta-Kid View Post
I hope what you all are saying is that these three cities will catch up with their piers Atlanta, and Savannah in population tourism and SKYLINE/METRO.
I don't exactly understand the catch up in skyline/metro comment.. The population of metro Augusta(556k) is over 200k larger than metro Savannah(347k). I'm certain both Augusta and Macon have a larger skyline compared to Savannah..

The 2009 Urban Area populations....

Augusta 340,146
Columbus 246,572
Savannah 203,256
Macon 129,827

Last edited by nortonguy; 08-21-2011 at 03:47 PM..

Old 08-26-2011, 09:53 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by King_X View Post
Somewhat. It's better than MSA and CSA that's for sure. I still cant trust it when Macon and Warner Robins are 2 separate UAsa and there's no real gap between the 2 on US-247. I dont understand why they cant just use a 30 mile radius from the downtown of each city and use that for a metro population??
Because that's a very arbitrary metric and it really cheats coastal cities.

Old 08-26-2011, 11:13 PM

2,014 posts, read 5,101,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Because that's a very arbitrary metric and it really cheats coastal cities.
You cant say that because then coastal cities could use that excuse for everything. "if everything east of the city wasnt water, there'd be land and more people there and our population would be bigger"

Old 08-27-2011, 12:02 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
You cant say that because then coastal cities could use that excuse for everything. "if everything east of the city wasnt water, there'd be land and more people there and our population would be bigger"
With a set-mile radius, it's not an excuse; it's a very valid reason. But UA, MSA, CSA, etc. population standards don't cheat them and are more consistent.

Old 08-27-2011, 04:27 PM

10,744 posts, read 13,386,955 times
Quote:
Not gonna happen in this lifetime and likely not ever. Besides, why would someone even want that?

Old 12-14-2011, 02:33 PM

242 posts, read 340,853 times
Quote:
no city is alike, every city was made different and every city has its own purpose.
No Augusta does NOT compare to macon nor Columbus. Augusta is the second oldest city in Georgia and second biggest. Columbus is also one of the biggest and Augusta and Columbus both top out in city district compared to Macon. Macon has I-16 going through it but you go through in like 3 seconds. Augusta and Columbus are away from interstates enough to expand their city district before they make connections with any near by interstate. Macon is like a dead zone and I really hope they get to build those condos and hotels downtown to increase the number of residents downtown. but yeah all cities are different. Besides Augusta and Columbus are in a Tallahassee category, I just feel Columbus is a little bit more than a Tallahassee and defiantly Augusta.

To Be fairly honest Columbus and Augusta are not only larger than Macon in Population thats because the cities are both consolidated before Augusta Consolidated with richmond it only had a pop of 47,000..... and columbus only had 70,000.... All three cities are not much more ahead of the other.... but I do feel That Macon and Augusta are more in the same league than Columbus......

Old 12-14-2011, 05:48 PM

120 posts, read 227,599 times
Quote:
Augusta having a larger MSA population than Macon and Columbus' CSA sounds great and also may seem to suggest "if Augusta's MSA is larger than their CSAs, imagine how big the gap would be if Augusta had a CSA too" but actually Augusta's MSA covers more land than the CSAs of Macon and Columbus. Give the Macon CSA that much land and you'd have to include Milledgeville/Baldwin County micropolitan (nearly 50,000) and maybe even Dublin/Laurens County micropolitan (also nearly 50,000 +). I do think Augusta is "more built up" and a larger city/urban area but maybe not by as big of a margin as the MSA and CSA #s suggest.
Augusta's MSA is large only because it includes South Carolina counties which are larger than GA's mainly Aiken county which by itself is 100 sq miles short of being the same size as the state of Rhode Island " In other words its the size of Lee, Muscogee and Chattahoochee Counties of the Columbus CSA " and Burke County in Georgia which is one the largest counties in the state at over 800 sq miles most of it extremely rural. Aiken, SC and Burke,GA alone are just as large as the entire Macon MSA. The Difference between Augusta, Columbus, and Macon as I see it, Is the fact that Augusta's population centers are more clustered together with it being in the center, Columbus shares with the A/O area and Macon shares with WR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewtownMacon478 View Post
before Augusta Consolidated with richmond it only had a pop of 47,000.....
This is true but the city limits were only 5 miles long by 3 miles wide.

Old 12-14-2011, 09:01 PM

5,616 posts, read 8,653,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewtownMacon478 View Post
To Be fairly honest Columbus and Augusta are not only larger than Macon in Population thats because the cities are both consolidated before Augusta Consolidated with richmond it only had a pop of 47,000..... and columbus only had 70,000.... All three cities are not much more ahead of the other.... but I do feel That Macon and Augusta are more in the same league than Columbus......
Both Columbus and Augusta are much larger than Macon (Bibb County) by 40,000-50,000 people. Sorry dude. Macon will always be the little brother.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia