Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2011, 11:07 AM

12 posts, read 16,657 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone, I want to start by stating that I am a lifelong resident of the state of Georgia. I have watched its economic successes an failures. I would like to present a proposal to my fellow Georgians and would like any and all comments both positive and negative so that we as Georgians can improve on this and maybe something positive could come from it. Keep in mind that this is just a proposal, just wanted to see if my idea could grow wings and help this state prosper.
I would like to propose that Georgia as a state propose a flat $6 to $10 per week fund from every employee state, public or private sector all included into a general fund to be divided equally into 3 sectors transportation, education and safety. Just going by employment numbers released by the state there are over 9,000,000,000 residents at 10% unemployment that would be 8,900,000,000 people employed. Going by that number the fund would generate somewhere in the range of 53 million to 89 million per week or 2.75 billion to 4.6 billion per year.
I propose that this fund have an oversight committee/ board that comprises of 1 member from each region of the proposed transit tax regions, 1 School board member from each region, and 1 member from public safety aka County sheriff or police chief from the same regions. All have to win a election voted on by the citizens of each region to his/her seat on the board.
With this proposal Georgia could build the proposed I-3 or I-24 extension thru North and East Georgia Gainesville, Athens, Augusta, Savannah / I-81 extension thru West Georgia Rome, Carrollton, Legrange, Columbus, Bainbridge, to Tallahassee, FL/ I-12 extension thru South Georgia Albany, Tifton, Waycross, Brunswick/ I-14 thru Middle Georgia Columbus, Macon, Milledgeville, Augusta/ also an Outer bypass for the Atlanta using portions outlined above all within its borders. Construction of this system would create a number of jobs for years all throughout the state these jobs would also add to the pot. Some of the same routes could be used for a state wide rail component included during construction. Mass transit construction would also be included in the proposal. Marta expansion in Atlanta area, light rail in second and third tier cities as needed.
Education could be improved in the state by hiring additional educators for classrooms and extending class hrs from 8hr daily to 10 or maybe 12 hrs daily, 2 educators per class. Each educator would work 8 or 10 hr overlapping shifts. 2 minds are smarter than 1 when coming up with creative ideas for educating students also an extra set of eyes in the class wouldn't hurt.
Public Safety need I elaborate on this you could never have enough police, fire and medical professionals working the beat.
To sum it all up I proposing that the citizens of Georgia come together and create something or some Idea to get our economy going this is something that I feel would put power in our hands and take it out of politicians allow us to determine our futures and not some greedy guy who just wants to get elected.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2011, 11:17 AM

635 posts, read 1,510,093 times
Major flaw only 9,000,000 not 9,000,000,000 residents.

Old 08-30-2011, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bizurko View Post
Major flaw only 9,000,000 not 9,000,000,000 residents.
sorry to many 0's but you get the idea it still adds up the same. 2.75 to over 4 billion per year with a B. Billion for various transportation, educational, and public safety uses throughout the state.

Old 08-30-2011, 11:41 AM

10,744 posts, read 13,386,955 times
The dopey citizens of this state wouldn't pay $10 per car to build more trauma centers. They certainly wouldn't pay $6 - $10 per week for more roads.

Old 08-30-2011, 01:03 PM

3,972 posts, read 12,661,614 times
^^^^
That.

Old 08-30-2011, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
The dopey citizens of this state wouldn't pay $10 per car to build more trauma centers. They certainly wouldn't pay $6 - $10 per week for more roads.
Just Roads maybe no, but an investment in Education, Roads, Rail, Public Safety, ect. all could be included think of it this way the State of Georgia wants money from the Feds to help deepen Savannah Harbor which Georgia says will help create employment opportunities throughout the state. With a fund such as this the Deepening of the harbor could be paid for. Marta wants 2 billion to expand to Emory and Turner Field it could be paid for. Light rail in Gwinnett and Cobb counties paid for what about the Beltline. Columbus, Augusta, Macon want an interstate to connect them paid for. South Georgia wants an East/West interstate grade highway done, tired of cuts to your local police/ fire departments. Want to improve Educational funding in Georgia it could be done thru the fund to attract some of the unemployed college graduates in this state and from across the nation into our Educational system to help teach the future of Georgia.

Old 08-30-2011, 03:53 PM

635 posts, read 1,510,093 times
Yeah, the people in Georgia are too greedy to pay for things that benefit others. It's very sad, I miss when people would go out of there way to help people, I try to keep the tradition alive. I mean come on, we already have some of the lowest taxes in the country, it's not too much to ask to raise 1 cent for transportation (previous proposal) ugh, things can't stay the same forever.

Old 08-30-2011, 03:54 PM

by the way Georgia didn't vote for the Trauma centers because a majority of the population no longer lives in rural areas. Rural hospitals and trauma centers area a thing of the past.

Old 08-30-2011, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bizurko View Post
Yeah, the people in Georgia are too greedy to pay for things that benefit others. It's very sad, I miss when people would go out of there way to help people, I try to keep the tradition alive. I mean come on, we already have some of the lowest taxes in the country, it's not too much to ask to raise 1 cent for transportation things can't stay the same forever.
I totally agree with all of this.

Old 08-30-2011, 03:59 PM

10,744 posts, read 13,386,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BusinessMan30331 View Post
by the way Georgia didn't vote for the Trauma centers because a majority of the population no longer lives in rural areas. Rural hospitals and trauma centers area a thing of the past.
Trauma centers are a thing of the past???? Really???? Respectfully, that is not right. And your idea, while laudable, is still a tax. And, folks, right or wrong, just will not pay for it. It is going to be difficult passing the 1 cent transportation tax in metro Atlanta which is so desperately in need of transportation solutions. I simply cannot imagine the good folks in the Americus / Vienna / Cordele area voting to tax themselves when the good folks of Atlanta already pay for most of the roads in S. Ga.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia