U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2007, 09:18 PM

2 posts, read 2,600 times

Advertisements

We have been spending a lot of windshield time driving through Southern college towns from KY to AL to GA. We are looking for a town with not just occasional music festivals but weekly night life and live bands. Having played everything from Rock-a-Billy to Big Band Swing to Cruise Ship pitbands, I'm a frustrated big band drummer with equipment, PA and charts and we need a town with the venues, the crowd and the musicians to play. We love history and culture, and that is why we are drawn to the South. The Midwest with DUI laws and winter weather is not condusive to year-round live bands and the talent to play this kind of music is elusive. We are painfully aware from Places Rated Almanac of the crime rates of some eclectic southern towns. That being said, great musicians come from diverse socio-economic backgrounds, and although crime bothers us, diversity does not. The last 2 college towns we visited offered opportunities in their music departments, but there was no intact downtown in which to play. If any town comes to mind, please reply... and I owe you a rim shot!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2007, 09:40 PM

6 posts, read 32,261 times
As a musician myslef, I would recommend Atlanta or Athens. Both are very historical cultured places that have a lot of very nice venues. Good luck on your search!

Old 08-17-2007, 12:40 PM

138 posts, read 637,815 times
About DUI laws, Georgia has them as well. We just don't have snow. This thread interested me because my spouse is a musician, in the Air Force. He does a lot of private gigs as well as Official gigs.

Old 08-17-2007, 12:44 PM

12,267 posts, read 34,144,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrummerDoc View Post
We have been spending a lot of windshield time driving through Southern college towns from KY to AL to GA. We are looking for a town with not just occasional music festivals but weekly night life and live bands. Having played everything from Rock-a-Billy to Big Band Swing to Cruise Ship pitbands, I'm a frustrated big band drummer with equipment, PA and charts and we need a town with the venues, the crowd and the musicians to play. We love history and culture, and that is why we are drawn to the South. The Midwest with DUI laws and winter weather is not condusive to year-round live bands and the talent to play this kind of music is elusive. We are painfully aware from Places Rated Almanac of the crime rates of some eclectic southern towns. That being said, great musicians come from diverse socio-economic backgrounds, and although crime bothers us, diversity does not. The last 2 college towns we visited offered opportunities in their music departments, but there was no intact downtown in which to play. If any town comes to mind, please reply... and I owe you a rim shot!
I'd recommend:

Columbia SC
Knoxville TN
Athens GA
Nashville TN

Old 08-17-2007, 06:19 PM

1,072 posts, read 1,662,083 times
Athens, GA definately... it is the quintessential college town with a rich musical heritage. Any night of the week you can go to any number of downtown clubs and be entertained by live music.

Old 08-21-2007, 10:55 PM

81 posts, read 326,423 times
I have too pitch my vote for Athens also. So many clubs to choose from, so little time! Not to mention AthFest, the Humans Rights Festival and more. Home to REM, B52 and many more great bands have sprouted here!

Old 08-22-2007, 03:40 AM

3,670 posts, read 4,176,834 times
I would recommend Athens, GA also, rated by Billboard as the hottest US college town music scene repeatedly. Savannah is a really interesting music town and I enjoy the music along River Street (sidewalk, restaurant, and bar). Atlanta would also offer many opportunities.

Old 08-22-2007, 06:28 AM
JPD

12,159 posts, read 15,643,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrummerDoc View Post
I'm a frustrated big band drummer with equipment, PA and charts and we need a town with the venues, the crowd and the musicians to play.
Are you looking for a place that has musicians and clubs that can/will support a big band? I don't know of any venues in Atlanta where you can hear big bands. Atlanta is dominated by hip-hop, indie rock, jam bands and country. Most of the jazz in Atlanta is either smooth jazz, small jazz combos and piano trios or avant garde/free jazz. Big Band music is probably the least represented music style in Atlanta.

Having said that, I think big band/swing is covered in the music curriculum at Ga State University. Maybe you could pick up some musicians from there.

If I were you, I would contact Gordon Vernick in the GA. State music department. You can probably track down his phone number at GSU's website.

Old 08-22-2007, 08:03 AM

138 posts, read 568,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle DeRepentigny View Post
I have too pitch my vote for Athens also. So many clubs to choose from, so little time! Not to mention AthFest, the Humans Rights Festival and more. Home to REM, B52 and many more great bands have sprouted here!
I totally agree with the Athens, GA votes here and not just because I went to UGA and lived there for 6 years and have season tickets to the DAWGS

The Georgia Theater and the 40 Watt Club are terrific venues, I've seen so many good bands there. Athens has a great musical history.

Don't forget the Indigo Girls, Matthew Sweet, Georgia Satellites and Dreams so Real as well!

Old 08-22-2007, 01:03 PM

4,121 posts, read 7,930,192 times
Athens also has Vic Chesnutt, the E-6 crew, Widespread Panic, and Drive By Truckers. The Truckers may be really from Alabama but they were in Athens for a while.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or