Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2007, 12:50 PM

25 posts, read 148,398 times

Advertisements

Hello, I am doing extensive research on my grandmother's paternal family and needed a little help. My great grandfather- a John Felker- was born in Georgia but moved to Canada when he was young. We don't know much about him but a story was passed down to us that his father was from a very wealthy German family. Wealthy to the extent that the family either owned a Georgia county or that there was a county named after them. Again this is just a story but I am trying to find if there is some truth to it. Their name is Felker-other variations are Fulcher/Vulcher. So is there or was there a county by the name of Felker. Any information will help, Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2007, 01:51 PM

726 posts, read 3,602,870 times
List of 159 counties Georgia

georgia.gov - List of counties

Fannin County
Fayette County
Floyd County
Forsyth County
Franklin County
Fulton County

Old 08-18-2007, 06:45 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,180,644 times
I looked into what reference material I had. I could not find anything that sounded like that. So many of the counties were formed directly from what was considered Indian Lands. He may have claimed areas that were not truly available.

Do you have any idea about when he would have be in Georgia?

Old 08-20-2007, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgnzsavnh View Post
List of 159 counties Georgia

georgia.gov - List of counties

Fannin County
Fayette County
Floyd County
Forsyth County
Franklin County
Fulton County
Thank You!

Old 08-20-2007, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
I looked into what reference material I had. I could not find anything that sounded like that. So many of the counties were formed directly from what was considered Indian Lands. He may have claimed areas that were not truly available.

Do you have any idea about when he would have be in Georgia?
He would have been in Georgia around the year 1848.

Old 08-20-2007, 10:00 AM

7,099 posts, read 27,180,644 times
My guess is that he may have been located in the south western area. Since he was supposed to be wealthy, that meant either cotton growing or shipping. The counties near the coast were formed early and are well known, so he probably grew cotton. The only other thing would have been buying and selling land, or finding gold in North Georgia.

I don't know when the EXACT border between Georgia and Alabama was drawn up, but there is that chance that he may have been located in one of the border areas between the two states.

Have you looked at the Census records for Georgia for 1840 and 1850? That's your best place to start. Also, check the slave schedules during the same time. If he were a planter in Georgia, he most likely owned slaves. You might pick up a clue. Searching census records is sooooooo boring, but sometimes you pick up real gems of information.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
View detailed profiles of: