U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2007, 02:38 PM

4 posts, read 12,173 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are seriously considering moving to GA from Northern NJ. We pay 8,900 in property taxes and pay flood insurance on top of already high homeowners insurance.

I'm a high school teacher and my husband's becoming a real estate agent.

Can anyone suggest a nice play for a newlywed couple to move? I'm not interested in living in Atlanta - I've lived in NYC - not interested in the party scene or too much hustle and bustle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2007, 03:11 PM

65 posts, read 198,022 times
njbookgirl, Come to Gwinnett County. It is northeast of Atlanta with no where near the cost of living and taxes that you are paying now. What you are paying in taxes would make a great downpayment on a home.

Old 08-18-2007, 06:51 PM

183 posts, read 936,891 times
Try Walton County as well. Not too far from Gwinnett...actually, right next door!

Old 08-19-2007, 07:54 AM
JLA

627 posts, read 2,017,872 times
Check out Columbus, it's a nice city without the terrible traffic of Atlanta and its suburbs. One of the good things about the Columbus area is it sits on the border of Georgia and Alabama, so your husband, if he chooses can sell houses in both states. And this area of both states is progressive and the people are friendly. One other thing, outside of the Atlanta metro area no other areas of the states of GA or AL is experiencing as much job growth.

Old 08-19-2007, 02:20 PM

7,100 posts, read 25,067,547 times
Thanks to a State mandated class size, just about everywhere in the state is screaming for teachers. So you are not going to have a problem finding a job.

The problem will be for your husband. I don't know how it is in other places, but here, in my area, it seems to be a field that overcrowded with retirees and women. It would take a while until he learned his particular area. Could he do something else if the market turns out to be just too slow to allow him to make a decent living?

Old 08-19-2007, 07:07 PM

4 posts, read 12,173 times
Default Thanks

Thanks! I'm going to look into those places as you suggested... We will have visit down there.

Does anyone know about the school districts in the areas mentioned above?

Old 08-22-2007, 09:15 AM

670 posts, read 2,774,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njbookgirl View Post
Thanks! I'm going to look into those places as you suggested... We will have visit down there.

Does anyone know about the school districts in the areas mentioned above?
We moved to Georgia from Texas and I REALLY am impressed with the Muscogee County public schools. I was expecting a leap backwards to be honest, but it has not been that way at all. I also feel that Columbus would be a great place to do real estate because of the growth in the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or