Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Troy Davis be executed?
Yes. The evidence is plenty sufficient. 11 29.73%
No. He deserves a new trial. 19 51.35%
No. He should be released at once. 2 5.41%
No. The death penalty is immoral. 5 13.51%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2011, 05:45 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,192,862 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
I live I world believing it is inhabited by an evolved and civilized society. Killing in the name of justice, just because a jury is 99.9% certain, is nonetheless the taking of a human life. If someone raped, tortured and murdered my child, I may personally try to exact the ultimate vengeance. But as a society, I would like to think we are beyond such. As human beings we can never be 100% certain, regardless of our investigative and scientific prowess. The risk of one innocent person being executed outweighs by unimaginable orders of magnitude the sense of self satisfied revenge over the death of the clearly guilty. Surely we are more evolved than that.
So you have doubt that Brian Nichols is 100% guilty of the murder of a judge, a federal agent, and others? If so, then you live on another planet.

Now I agree that people can have a principled disagreement on whether or not capital punishment is a deterrent or the proper penalty. What I do not agree with is that when you have multiple eyewitness and video evidence of the crime being committed, as in the Nichols case, then we are and can be 100% certain that he was the one who committed the crime. With DNA, we can get very close to that same level of certainty.

My belief is that some crime is so heinous and so notorious that the only fitting penalty is a death sentence. Would you have given Osama Bin Laden life in prison? How about Adolf Hitler? Were we wrong to execute the Nazi leadership at Nuremberg? How about Saddam Hussein?

I believe we can and should hold individuals to the consequences of their actions. In my opinion in some cases those actions deserve the ultimate penalty, and in the case of someone like Nichols, we have absolutely ZERO doubt that he is guilty. It's not about revenge. It's about justice, and we can make the bar high enough with scientific evidence.

Old 09-19-2011, 06:22 AM

10,744 posts, read 13,386,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
So you have doubt that Brian Nichols is 100% guilty of the murder of a judge, a federal agent, and others? If so, then you live on another planet.

Now I agree that people can have a principled disagreement on whether or not capital punishment is a deterrent or the proper penalty. What I do not agree with is that when you have multiple eyewitness and video evidence of the crime being committed, as in the Nichols case, then we are and can be 100% certain that he was the one who committed the crime. With DNA, we can get very close to that same level of certainty.

My belief is that some crime is so heinous and so notorious that the only fitting penalty is a death sentence. Would you have given Osama Bin Laden life in prison? How about Adolf Hitler? Were we wrong to execute the Nazi leadership at Nuremberg? How about Saddam Hussein?

I believe we can and should hold individuals to the consequences of their actions. In my opinion in some cases those actions deserve the ultimate penalty, and in the case of someone like Nichols, we have absolutely ZERO doubt that he is guilty. It's not about revenge. It's about justice, and we can make the bar high enough with scientific evidence.
No, Neil. I have no doubt. Never said I did. Mars isn't such a bad place either... Geez. My point, which seems to be lost, is that if there is a risk that one innocent person can be put to death, then the system is flawed and the death penalty should be abolished. Snce we are people, we cannot insure that innocents will never be wrongly convicted and subsequently killed by the state.

Old 09-19-2011, 08:28 AM

562 posts, read 1,126,688 times
Too much doubt with the witnesses and the evidence to put this man to death. I think life without parole is the only option that the state has!!

Old 09-19-2011, 09:41 AM

3,010 posts, read 6,307,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
Is imprisoning someone for the rest of their life with no chance for parole somehow kinder?
A lot kinder than sticking a needle in an innocent man and realizing years later a mistake was made. At least with LWOP, things can be carefully examined and if warranted, a re-trial.

There are simply too many lingering doubts for this execution to go forward.

Old 09-19-2011, 10:04 AM

11,334 posts, read 26,086,242 times
Quote:
No, Neil. I have no doubt. Never said I did. Mars isn't such a bad place either... Geez. My point, which seems to be lost, is that if there is a risk that one innocent person can be put to death, then the system is flawed and the death penalty should be abolished. Snce we are people, we cannot insure that innocents will never be wrongly convicted and subsequently killed by the state.
Should the same be said for life imprisonment? How is that better for the individual than killing them? Keeping them away from the outside world could be seen as needlessly cruel.

Old 09-19-2011, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Should the same be said for life imprisonment? How is that better for the individual than killing them? Keeping them away from the outside world could be seen as needlessly cruel.
Ahm, I think murdering an innocent wrongly-convicted person is magnitudes more cruel than imprisoning someone for life.

Old 09-19-2011, 05:39 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,192,862 times
Quote:
Ahm, I think murdering an innocent wrongly-convicted person is magnitudes more cruel than imprisoning someone for life.
You seem to ignore that I am qualifying who would be eligible for the death penalty to only those where we have a very high degree of certainty. Someone such as Nichols. There is no case of mistaken identity or evil cop framing the guy. He is 100% guilty and deserves a dirt nap.

Many times there is no doubt. Guy robs a convenience store, shoots the owner, and it's caught on camera and he's seen by witnesses. DNA and other physical evidence ties him to the crime. Those kinds of cases happen more often than the one you want to cite where some hapless innocent is caught up in a case of mistaken identity and railroaded.

More often than not, what you have is a scumbag who committed the crime.

Old 09-19-2011, 05:46 PM

784 posts, read 1,981,793 times
I think Troy Davis should not be executed at this time. With 7 or so witnesses recanting, I think he should get a new trial. I am normally for executing killers, but this case seems to be riddled with severe doubt.

Old 09-19-2011, 05:58 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,086,242 times
Quote:
Of course, there's the obvious argument that imprisonment is a lot easier to undo. And I agree with that. But more cruel? I'm honestly uncertain about that.

Old 09-19-2011, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Of course, there's the obvious argument that imprisonment is a lot easier to undo. And I agree with that. But more cruel? I'm honestly uncertain about that.
Ask the innocent guy on death row what he thinks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia