U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2007, 11:46 AM

127 posts, read 701,995 times

Advertisements

Anne,

Your response was very helpful. Thank you!! You sound like you really know the area. Would you mind telling me the names of some established neighborhoods on the Westside that are family oriented? Schools won't be an issue, because we will end up doing private school if we live in Athens.

We are planning another trip this winter, and I would love to check out more neighborhoods.

Again, thanks so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2007, 11:16 PM

81 posts, read 326,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChooch View Post
Thank you, Michelle. Are there any West Side neighborhoods that are established (no brand new developments), have a good amount of families, and have a population that includes professors and other educated types? We are looking for a place where we can all fit in (parents and child). Perhaps I should pm you?
There are several established developments within a five minute commute that you may be interested in. I would be happy to discuss this further with you, but it probably does need to be private, because of the rules here.

Old 10-03-2007, 11:19 PM

81 posts, read 326,336 times
I would suggest Kingswood, Homewood Hills, Deerfield, Riverbottom, & Huntington Park subdivision as places you may want to explore. Of course, knowing your price range would be of great help also.

Last edited by Michelle DeRepentigny; 10-03-2007 at 11:20 PM.. Reason: add sentance

Old 10-18-2007, 02:49 PM

21 posts, read 109,782 times
Default Look a bit harder..

I lived in "Athens", but it was actually Oconee County. I worked at the Clarke County Jail as a nurse for almost 2 years. After 2 1/2 years of living almost across the road from Athens Academy, I would say, NO, Athens (Clarke County) is now where you want to pursue a superior education for your children. Although I was there through a time in my child's life where she was in 7th Grade at Oconee Middle and she failed almost every class.. ALL YEAR LONG!! They were going to actually Administratively Promote her!! What were they thinking??

School systems get state funding on how many kids go on to the next grade. Well, I live in a realistic world. Children all learn differently, so we moved back up to NW Ga. to a small town called Chickamauga! Between the 3 schools (Elem., Middle, and High) there are only about 900 or so kids. They actually allowed me to retain her... (shameful to say, most school systems don't allow parents to make that decision any longer).

It was the best move I've made and we love a little historic town.

Thinking of which, if you love Athens but want a great school, move down into Madison. (just down 441)... Morgan County Schools are super!

You won't catch me down in or around Athens again while my kids are in school.. Unless we're there to cheer on the DAWGS!!

Good Luck!!

Old 10-18-2007, 07:11 PM

127 posts, read 701,995 times
Thanks for responding. Can you tell me what you didn't like about Athens Academy. From most accounts it seems to be the best school around, and their college placement and SATs look very good. We drove around the campus when we visited Athens and it was quite impressive. We like the idea of a smaller school that is not religiously affiliated. I would appreciate hearing more of your thoughts. Thanks.

I just looked up Madison school on Greatschools.com, and they do not seem to rank as high as those in Oconee.

Old 02-18-2008, 07:28 PM

1 posts, read 5,882 times
The Athens-Clarke County began to suffer "white flight" in the early 90s when the school board decided to institute a countywide busing program to racially balance the elementary schools. That did not go over very well with the affluent parents including many "enlightened, liberal" professors. A large number fled to Oconee County. Others chose the private schools.

I worked as a Graduate Assistant for a business school professor in 1999-2000. All three of his kids graduated from the A-C schools from the mid 80s to mid 90s. He said that he was fortunate they came through prior to all the turmoil. He related very positive experiences of the school system during the 70s to late 80s when he was very involved. He expressed disappointment that newer faculty members would not have the same quality public educational opportunity in Athens that he enjoyed.

Athens is a great town to live as a student or a single person. It was a great town to raise a family until the 90s. Now, it suffers from many social ills seen in larger urban areas. If you want to live in the area, I would strongly encourage anyone to check out Oconee County. It is a great place to raise a family. I have several former classmates from Athens who live in Oconee and love it. If you choose Athens, invest in an alarm system and firearms. Take a gun safety class, but exercise your right to self-protection - You may need it. DO NOT send your children to the public schools. They are abyssmal. Write the big check for Athens Academy or the medium size check for Athens Christian or Prince Avenue. UGA Head Football Coach Mark Richt sends his children to Prince Avenue.

Old 02-18-2008, 07:36 PM

722 posts, read 3,041,520 times
I went to Oconee County High School a few weeks ago and all I have to say is WOW! The school is state of the art and a piece of art at that. They must be doing something right in Oconee county.

Old 02-18-2008, 11:01 PM

8 posts, read 33,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jandrew93 View Post

Athens is a great town to live as a student or a single person. It was a great town to raise a family until the 90s. Now, it suffers from many social ills seen in larger urban areas. If you want to live in the area, I would strongly encourage anyone to check out Oconee County. It is a great place to raise a family. I have several former classmates from Athens who live in Oconee and love it. If you choose Athens, invest in an alarm system and firearms. Take a gun safety class, but exercise your right to self-protection - You may need it. DO NOT send your children to the public schools. They are abyssmal. Write the big check for Athens Academy or the medium size check for Athens Christian or Prince Avenue. UGA Head Football Coach Mark Richt sends his children to Prince Avenue.
Well said.

Old 02-19-2008, 03:36 PM

1,474 posts, read 3,187,862 times
Default huh?

It is interesting how labels are easily attached to people who are simply exercising their right and wisdom to provide what they believe to be the best environment for their children. The label used here is "white flight". I know 3 school teachers in the ACC school system and all 3 would not send their own children to these schools. My dentist has his 2 kids in an elementary school in ACC due to legal issues. He gets soooo frustrated because most of the history taught is "black history". He isn't opposed to black history but wants a balance. If he could, he would send his kids to Athens Academy.

With that said, I have to say I rarely see kids out playing anymore regardless of neighborhood. Many are latch key kids or parents are too fearful of predators. Who knows?

The fact is, Oconee County has the better quality of life. They have their growth under control whereas "progressive" ACC seems to allow anyone to throw up any structure with the ugliest sign they can come up with. Older neighborhoods are being gentrified and blacks are being pushed out of them more and more. Where they go I don't know but it is no secret ACC has a disproportionate share of public housing which is also the focal point of crime. I feel sorry for people who live there but there is not much alternative.

Oconee County does NOT have a professional fire department. Both medical centers are in ACC and both are planning on dropping ambulance services. Ultimately, like it or not, the local government will wind up performing that role. No idea how Oconee County will handle that.

As another writer stated, our 32,000 plus UGA students make up the 800 pound gorilla. UGA is Athens. They keep this place alive and why not.

As for NY diversity, that city has its enclaves and issues. We have issues on smaller scale is all.

I wish people would STOP moving here actually. More demand on our already limited water etc. Oh well, good luck.

Old 02-01-2009, 07:53 AM

1 posts, read 5,358 times
I am from Philadelphia and moved to Athens to go to college back in 1980. I, like many others, moved to Oconee county to raise my family because of the better schools and to get away from racism exhibited by Blacks toward Whites (Black attitude IS racism). It was very hard for me to understand and I needed to get out before all the hard work of the educators who taught me to be color-blind was irreversably wiped away. In a city with such a high level of social awareness it is ironic that the only thing blocking the exit of racism in our society is the Black population itself.
Also, Athens-Clake county police are far more interested in generating revenue than actually serving the public needs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or