Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2019, 05:51 PM

169 posts, read 340,304 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I feel like I have been on a never ending quest to find my next home. I want to be in the South as I think people are so friendly. I have a weakness for historic homes with porches. I am ready for a slower more quiet way of life outside of big cities.

That said, it seems like even small southern towns have a higher crime rate than what one would expect. And yes I know there are a variety of websites where you can look up crime stats, but it's often not easy to tell if the rate seems high because it's all happening in a small area.

So my question is how safe do residents feel in Thomasville?

What are your favorite 3 things about living in Thomasville and what 3 things don't you like/would change if you could?

Thanks for your input
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2019, 07:49 AM

17 posts, read 33,008 times
Thomasville has the same kind of gang-related and domestic violence crime as every other city that I know of. If you know the areas to mostly avoid, you'll be fine and feel safe. Unfortunately society has gotten to where we all have to look over our shoulders, at least a little. No more leaving cars or house doors unlocked over night. I was born and raised there, and as a kid in the '60s would ride my bike literally everywhere. Those days are gone though. Still, I think Thomasville has a basically law-abiding foundation, and when you remove the two kinds of crimes I mentioned above, the numbers are pretty low. I don't think there's been a murder in the county in at least six months. I'm in the process of moving back there (from SC) and have no real qualms about it being a crime-riddled area...but unfortunately that gang and hardcore drug mentality is everywhere now, even in small-town America.

Old 04-13-2019, 11:07 AM

Cchip, to the last part of your post, I'd say that I most like the historic uniqueness of the town, from its touristy beginnings and rich plantation influences, to its (related) appreciation of the arts and festivals, and its optimal distance from Tallahassee and larger city amenities. On the minus side, I'd say that they can be pretty set in their ways, both politically and religiously. It's a long way geographically from beaches, mountains, etc. Summertime is about two months too long. I guess those are the main things.

Old 04-14-2019, 01:25 PM

1,186 posts, read 1,510,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cchip55 View Post
Hello,

I feel like I have been on a never ending quest to find my next home. I want to be in the South as I think people are so friendly. I have a weakness for historic homes with porches. I am ready for a slower more quiet way of life outside of big cities.

That said, it seems like even small southern towns have a higher crime rate than what one would expect. And yes I know there are a variety of websites where you can look up crime stats, but it's often not easy to tell if the rate seems high because it's all happening in a small area.

So my question is how safe do residents feel in Thomasville?

What are your favorite 3 things about living in Thomasville and what 3 things don't you like/would change if you could?

Thanks for your input
Ignore the person above me who posted about gang related stuff and such. Thomasville is very safe community and perhaps the safest city below maybe Warner Robbins, relative to its size. I’ve spent a number of weeks per year in this city and I’ve never once felt afraid or in a even slightly scary situation. This past two years have seen an uptick in shootings, but we are talking about a city/county that goes years without a shooting. There were maybe 5 last year and they were all localized to a certain area and each of the shooters were appended. Each situation was also one where each of perpetrators and victims had run ins with each other and it escalated.

Now, South Georgia in general has seen an increase in gang activity, but it’s mostly in Dougherty, Colquitt (very small but nonetheless noteworthy) and Lowndes. Thomasville gangs are mostly youth who tend to do petty crimes like car break in and such. Thomasville-Thomas County has a zero tolerance policy in reference to gangs, and it’s well known. The city is actually somewhat refined, elegant, and definitely more expensive than its regional neighbors. Also, you may not realize it until you visit, but Thomasville has a noticeable affluent population. It’s also not as “closed minded” as typical small town and race relations appear to be good. It’s very white and black though, so don’t expect any ethnic diversity

What you get in return for the higher cost of living is a well run city and county governments, many festivals, events, and a good number of unique dining and shopping options downtown. Combine this with good county schools, a “scholars acandemy” within the city school system, a good healthcare network and very evolved community and you basically have a winner. Being close to Tallahassee, which is another city I’ve spent time in, is definitely a big bonus for people in Thomasville.

I’ll try to answer any questions to the best of my ability. If you have any, please ask.

3 Likes:

Downtown
Natural beauty
Safety

3 Dislikes:

Populace can be snooty
Populace can be clique-ish
Everyone is married

Old 04-15-2019, 01:50 PM

Another positive I would add about Thomasville is the medical infrastructure they have...Archbold is another offspring of that unique history, btw. They employ about 2,500 people at various locations, offering an impressive array of services for a town it's size. And if Archbold (where I was born) doesn't offer what you need, there are some world-class facilities not too far away, from Shands in Gainesville to Mayo in Jacksonville, and now the Mustian Center in Tallahassee.

And yes, even the Thomasville police admit that gang activity exists there, whether we wish to "ignore" it or not. It's not the Mafia-style organized stuff, but it's around.

Last edited by Shrimpngrits; 04-15-2019 at 01:52 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 04-25-2019, 02:50 PM

834 posts, read 1,015,250 times
Owner of real estate in Cairo and Thomasville and pre-nineties GA born native here..

They are a short drive to good parts of FL and there isn't track housing and other forms of over-development yet.. Top-end of "normal people" market rates.. Like the North(Gainesville, Dalton etc..) they are close enough to Atlanta and Charlotte to be part of the coming megalopolis, though..

If you find a town or even county that still has southern culture and public-courtesy I'd love to see it!

Old 04-26-2019, 09:49 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,578,434 times
OP should check out Andalusia, AL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia