Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2013, 10:12 PM

6,479 posts, read 7,165,723 times

Advertisements

I found this over at MetroJacksonville.com. It's a pretty comprehensive list of the 100 downtown employment centers in the nation.

#19-Atlanta-142,759. Definitley would have thought it would be higher, but not surprised considering the number of workers in Midtown and Buckhead.

#93-Savannah-30,949. I would have thought Augusta would have been number 2 in the state. Didn't realize this many people worked in downtown Savannah.

#94-Augusta-30,780. Not surprised this many people worked there. Kinda cool that it even beat a couple of larger cities like Greenville, Winston-Salem and Charleston in downtown employee population.

Here's a link to the report.
http://definingdowntown.org/wp-conte...townReport.pdf

http://www.metrojacksonville.com/art...mployees/page/

Last edited by Airforceguy; 11-08-2013 at 10:27 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2013, 10:45 PM

4,582 posts, read 8,973,624 times
Roughly 270 (difference in) jobs between the two cities of Augusta and Savannah is almost an irrelevant difference considering how close it is.

As far as Downtown Atlanta, are they including Midtown or is it just downtown? If it's JUST downtown, I'm not surprised at that number.

Old 11-08-2013, 10:53 PM

Location: Augusta, GA ''The fastest rising city in the southeast''
7,508 posts, read 15,101,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airforceguy View Post
I found this over at MetroJacksonville.com. It's a pretty comprehensive list of the 100 downtown employment centers in the nation.

#19-Atlanta-142,759. Definitley would have thought it would be higher, but not surprised considering the number of workers in Midtown and Buckhead.

#93-Savannah-30,949. I would have thought Augusta would have been number 2 in the state. Didn't realize this many people worked in downtown Savannah.

#94-Augusta-30,780. Not surprised this many people worked there. Kinda cool that it even beat a couple of larger cities like Greenville, Winston-Salem and Charleston in downtown employee population.

America's Downtowns Ranked by Number of Employees | Metro Jacksonville
I'm wondering if they included the Medical District..

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingImport View Post
Roughly 270 (difference in) jobs between the two cities of Augusta and Savannah is almost an irrelevant difference considering how close it is.

As far as Downtown Atlanta, are they including Midtown or is it just downtown? If it's JUST downtown, I'm not surprised at that number.
They separated the 142,000 jobs in downtown Atlanta from the 103,000 in Midtown Atlanta..

Last edited by nortonguy; 11-08-2013 at 11:02 PM..

Old 11-08-2013, 11:27 PM

Location: Augusta, GA ''The fastest rising city in the southeast''
7,508 posts, read 15,101,643 times
The article points out some very interesting things... Many people had to move into downtown Augusta lately..

Population
Midtown Atlanta: 77,535
DT Atlanta: 63,560
Savannah: 27,384
Augusta: 22,466

Old 11-09-2013, 07:52 AM

5,491 posts, read 8,323,155 times
Quote:

http://www.metrojacksonville.com/art...mployees/page/
Probably because Greenville has office buildings in different spots. Places like ICAR and the office parks/mid rises near the Haywood road area, etc. The white collar workforce is spread out. Downtown is a mixture of office, hotels, shops, restaurants, bars etc. Things like Brooks Brothers, Anthropologie, etc. Its' downtown is still very busy as it's also an tourist/entertainment area. Charleston is mainly tourism downtown. It's very busy, but mostly tourist related. Not sure about Winston Salem.

Last edited by DSMRE; 11-09-2013 at 08:06 AM..

Old 11-09-2013, 09:32 AM

322 posts, read 586,476 times
Augusta's Medical District employs over 25,000 people,so I don't think it was included.

Old 11-09-2013, 12:42 PM

77 posts, read 127,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by -StarBright- View Post
Augusta's Medical District employs over 25,000 people,so I don't think it was included.
You're probably right.

Old 11-09-2013, 01:03 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:

And Perimeter, which is the largest office district in metro Atlanta.

Quote:
Not really surprised by Greenville and Charleston. North Charleston is moreso the business center of the Charleston area, and as mentioned earlier, Greenville's workforce is not as centralized. Also both cities have large manufacturing sectors. But Winston-Salem is a surprise though.

Old 11-09-2013, 02:28 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,924,564 times
Did anyone read the report extensively? The definition of "downtown" is VERY much debatable, as the researchers explain in great detail throughout the first few pages. In fact, there are several different formulas for doing such, and they seem to have come up with a combination of them on their own to determine what "downtown" is for each city studied.

To their credit, they point out that simply drawing a one-mile circle around a city's "center point" (or as the illustration given, City Hall) isn't effective, because not only are many city halls not located in the dead-center of the downtown, but the downtown is affected by geography and other factors that will throw that metric off (The example given is that a one mile circle around NYC City Hall will include parts of Queens, Brooklyn and New Jersey ... obviously NOT "downtown."

Their solution, then, has been to take both Census tract population and employment data and then apply the "1-mile circle" rule on a city-by-city basis. This has created some rather odd definitions of what a "downtown" is, based on popular notions of such.

For example, their definition of DOWNTOWN ATLANTA stretches from North Avenue on the NORTH, to MORELAND AVENUE on the EAST, to BELOW GRANT PARK on the SOUTH, and JOSEPH LOWERY BLVD on the WEST!

MIDTOWN ATLANTA is defined as everything north of North Avenue, all the way to WEST WESLEY in Buckhead, and east of MORELAND AVENUE to as far west as Marietta Blvd.

Therefore, any discussion of this topic should be taken with a huge grain of salt. You're comparing apples to oranges here. As is the case with MANY MANY C-D discussions, one size does NOT fit all.

http://definingdowntown.org/

Last edited by Newsboy; 11-09-2013 at 02:51 PM..

Old 11-09-2013, 02:33 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Thanks for pointing that out, Newsboy. I did read at the end where certain cities had some say in delineating the boundaries of their downtown, but that wasn't the case for all of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia