U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2007, 08:11 PM

1 posts, read 4,351 times

Advertisements

I am curious if anyone remembers Marjen's Department Store in Montezuma, Georgia. My grandfather, Jake Aronowitz, owned and ran it and I was looking for anyone who might be able to tell me what they remember about the store or my grandfather. I haven't been to Montezuma since I was a child but I visited frequently back in the day and then never returned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2007, 08:22 AM

4 posts, read 14,722 times
Default MarJen

Marjen Department Store was named after Jake's two children, Marvin and Jeanine. Marvin as an adult moved to Fort Valley (about twenty miles North) and changed his name from Marvin Allen Aronowitz to Marvin Aaron Allen and went into the real estate business and has done very well, I hear. Marjen sold a wide variety of clothing and other soft goods to the farming community and had good, low, prices in keeping with the economy of the area. Jake had several friends in Georgia who had similar stores and when they would get overstocked they would have a "going out of business" sale or a "complete liquidation" sale during which great bargains were available. His friends would bring in their extra merchandise to the sale as well and the sale would last for months. And in the end he would decide not to go out of business after all, but no one really minded. He and his wife and kids were one of only two Jewish families in the area. The other, Sanford Cohen, was (of all things) a hog farmer between Montezuma and Marshallville. Jake and his wife were good friends of my mother and father and lived about a block down Dooly Street when I was growing up in the 1940s and 1950s.

Old 11-14-2008, 06:34 PM

3 posts, read 10,687 times
As the only remaining Jewish person in Montezuma (or so I understand ... I moved here 4 years ago), I have often asked after Jake and tried to get some information about the Jewish community that was in the area, please do let me know if you have any further information you can share in this regard.

Old 12-09-2008, 05:22 AM

1 posts, read 4,007 times
How accepting are the resident of someone who is not Christian? What is the closest Jewish community to Montezuma?

Old 12-22-2009, 10:50 AM

1 posts, read 3,452 times
About all I can add to the above is that Ms Aronowitz was right there by Mr Jake (with a tape measure around her neck) every time I went in Marjen's. I miss serving them and Marvin with their insurance needs. There was another brother not mentioned above, Mark Aronowitz who was in my big sister's class. I understand he passed away but just wanted to mention what a sweet guy he was. I remember he had a toy rocket that he would shoot off in his front yard. Seems like he was an Eagle scout in our troop and super smart and maybe a bit nerdy but a really nice guy. As to someone wondering about how accepting are we of Jewish people, it has never been an issue here. Having been raised in Montezuma and having lived here all my life I can state that I was an adult before I realized that Jewish people might experience non acceptance in US. But in Montezuma the Aronowitz's and their kids were accepted and welcomed, just as the Jewish lady above is to this day. I guess our lack of acceptance was more based on color than religion back in those days. But time changes everything and so many of our race barriers were broken long before they were in the US overall. We are all a work in progress in most ways but I am proud of how Montezuma accepts all people today. There are no Jewish communities that I know of in this area but as a Montezuma native I would offer any person my acceptance, especially nice folks like the Jake Aronowitz family.

Old 12-22-2009, 11:57 AM

Hey Tommy Thanks for your memories - I know PERSONALLY that you are very accepting of everyone!! I was so lucky to meet Jeneane Aronowitz (Miller) when she came down with her daughter for the reunion a few months back! Adele.

Old 02-26-2010, 12:17 PM

1 posts, read 3,160 times
Default I think we are related...

Quote:
Originally Posted by amsmith View Post
I am curious if anyone remembers Marjen's Department Store in Montezuma, Georgia. My grandfather, Jake Aronowitz, owned and ran it and I was looking for anyone who might be able to tell me what they remember about the store or my grandfather. I haven't been to Montezuma since I was a child but I visited frequently back in the day and then never returned.
Quote:
Originally Posted by radleft View Post
Marjen Department Store was named after Jake's two children, Marvin and Jeanine. Marvin as an adult moved to Fort Valley (about twenty miles North) and changed his name from Marvin Allen Aronowitz to Marvin Aaron Allen and went into the real estate business and has done very well, I hear. Marjen sold a wide variety of clothing and other soft goods to the farming community and had good, low, prices in keeping with the economy of the area. He and his wife and kids were one of only two Jewish families in the area.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy McKenzie View Post
About all I can add to the above is that Ms Aronowitz was right there by Mr Jake (with a tape measure around her neck) every time I went in Marjen's. I miss serving them and Marvin with their insurance needs. There was another brother not mentioned above, Mark Aronowitz who was in my big sister's class. I understand he passed away but just wanted to mention what a sweet guy he was. I remember he had a toy rocket that he would shoot off in his front yard. Seems like he was an Eagle scout in our troop and super smart and maybe a bit nerdy but a really nice guy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by agoodman1963 View Post
Hey Tommy Thanks for your memories - I know PERSONALLY that you are very accepting of everyone!! I was so lucky to meet Jeneane Aronowitz (Miller) when she came down with her daughter for the reunion a few months back! Adele.

to the person who started this thread, i believe you are my second cousin once removed. if the Jake/Jack (i believe he went by both) aronowitz is the same one in my family tree, then he is the brother of my great-grandmother Anna Aronowitz. Their parents were Joseph Aronowitz and Mindel (minnie?) Roobin.The information i have from my grandmother (Martell Tepper, daughter of Anna Aronowitz and William (velvel) Tepper, who then married Monroe Weil, and had Cathy Weil and Richard Weil (my father)) is that Jake married Ruth and they had 3 children: Marvin, Jeneane, and a son whose name she couldnt remember (probably Mark), but she did remember that he died in college and how he died was a very sad story. My Grandmother Martell grew up in Cordele, Georgia. Does this ring any bells with you? if so i would be delighted to send you an invite to the online family tree i made on geni.com.

Old 02-27-2010, 10:42 AM

Default Thanks for your reply

I would be delighted to forward it on to Jeneane, you can email me through my website www.travelersrestbb.com
Small little links here and there, even though this does not relate to MY family .. I am just the single Jew in Montezuma LOL, my grandmother was Minnie and my sister is Ruth ....

Old 11-09-2013, 09:52 PM

1 posts, read 1,566 times
Default Mark aronowitz

He was my best friend in college. I'm shocked to find that he died back then
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia