U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-22-2007, 04:06 AM
 
10 posts, read 24,325 times
Reputation: 12

Advertisements

I'm a Miami native looking to move in the next couple of years. My husband and I are thinking of Southeast Georgia? We have a 3 year old son so good excellent public schools and safe neihgborhoods are a concern. We are currently living in Miami Springs and are building a home in Pinecrest. If you are familiar with miami you know that these two cities are great family places. But very expensive, especially Pinecrest. The problem is trying to afford cost of living and taxes. We are paying $13,000.00 on our property taxes this year. CRAZY
Does anyone know of some neighborhoods equivalent to Pinecrest, South Miami and/or Palmetto Bay? Would appreciate any feedback . Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-22-2007, 05:23 AM
 
Location: FL to GA back to FL
894 posts, read 4,044,692 times
Reputation: 428
I am from Broward (Cooper City) and am somewhat familiar with your area. I don't think that there would be what you are looking for in SE Ga. My husband and I are now empty nesters, but from what I understand the schools here are not the best, but if I was going to put my kids in school in GA, I would focus more north of Atlanta, like Alpharetta, Johns's Creek area.

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-22-2007, 07:48 AM
 
10 posts, read 24,325 times
Reputation: 12
Thanks ready2move!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-22-2007, 10:59 AM
 
Location: Miami, Florida
18 posts, read 44,706 times
Reputation: 18
Hi. I'm currently living in the Redlands (sw 248 st) and the building around here is insane. We are considering moving to the area of Rome Ga. The Redlands used to be a laid back area of farmers....no longer. Between the cost of living in Miami and the crowds my wife and I are ready to flee. We drove through Atlanta last Nov and found the traffic and crowds to be worst than Miami. The area of Kennesaw was also very crowded. I'm traveling to the city of Summerville in Sept to look around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-22-2007, 12:50 PM
 
10 posts, read 24,325 times
Reputation: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMuller View Post
Hi. I'm currently living in the Redlands (sw 248 st) and the building around here is insane. We are considering moving to the area of Rome Ga. The Redlands used to be a laid back area of farmers....no longer. Between the cost of living in Miami and the crowds my wife and I are ready to flee. We drove through Atlanta last Nov and found the traffic and crowds to be worst than Miami. The area of Kennesaw was also very crowded. I'm traveling to the city of Summerville in Sept to look around.
Thanks for the input. My husband and I love the Redlands,but like everything down here the changes are not for the better. We have some really good friends that live in the Redlands, (238 & sw 152 ave) we house sit at least 2x a year. He's a horse vet. It's so peaceful if you don't leave the property! Except to go fetch a strawberry sunday at Knaus Berry!

I have Summerville on my list to check out. It's near the Savannah area???? Do you have children? I love Savannah, but I've heard it's no place to raise a family.
What about Augusta,Martinez and Evans? Any info on these areas? Take care.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-22-2007, 01:47 PM
 
Location: Miami, Florida
18 posts, read 44,706 times
Reputation: 18
I will be in Summerville Sept 18, 19 and returning to Miami the 20th. I'll let you know what I find. I don't undrestand how the developers were allowed to cause such congestion down here. My wife is a Latina and I'm not sure how well that will go in NW Georgia either but we have to get out of here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-22-2007, 02:17 PM
 
10 posts, read 24,325 times
Reputation: 12
Good Luck on your journey! I'll patiently wait for your feedback and findings! Have a safe trip.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-23-2007, 01:44 PM
 
214 posts, read 834,552 times
Reputation: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommysquirrel View Post
Thanks for the input. My husband and I love the Redlands,but like everything down here the changes are not for the better. We have some really good friends that live in the Redlands, (238 & sw 152 ave) we house sit at least 2x a year. He's a horse vet. It's so peaceful if you don't leave the property! Except to go fetch a strawberry sunday at Knaus Berry!

I have Summerville on my list to check out. It's near the Savannah area???? Do you have children? I love Savannah, but I've heard it's no place to raise a family.
What about Augusta,Martinez and Evans? Any info on these areas? Take care.
Savannah is a great place to raise children. I have 2 young children 3 & 8 and there is SO much to do for families here. Whether it is going to the beach, parks, downtown shopping and restaurants, muesems, water sports, golf, historical sights, sports leagues, I could go on and on.

I send my kids to a private school but if you don't want to do that you can go to the suburbs of either Pooler and Richmond Hill. They have schools that are ranked near the top in the whole state of Georgia. Also Wilmington Island's schools is ranked pretty high also. Don't let people fool you about family life in Savannah. There are plenty of us here and we love it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-23-2007, 07:19 PM
 
9 posts, read 47,043 times
Reputation: 19
Hey there. I am from (West) Miramar Florida. I think that if you are considering Atlanta, the comparable cities to Miami Springs and Pinecrest would be Alpharetta and Johns Creek area. However, be forewarned the trafiic is horrible, so try to find jobs as close to where you'll be living as possible. Good Luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-23-2007, 09:35 PM
 
10 posts, read 24,325 times
Reputation: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by FFG3 View Post
Savannah is a great place to raise children. I have 2 young children 3 & 8 and there is SO much to do for families here. Whether it is going to the beach, parks, downtown shopping and restaurants, muesems, water sports, golf, historical sights, sports leagues, I could go on and on.

I send my kids to a private school but if you don't want to do that you can go to the suburbs of either Pooler and Richmond Hill. They have schools that are ranked near the top in the whole state of Georgia. Also Wilmington Island's schools is ranked pretty high also. Don't let people fool you about family life in Savannah. There are plenty of us here and we love it.
Thanks for the encouraging words of Savannah being family/kid friendly. Can I ask what private school your children go to?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:23 AM.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top