Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-26-2011, 03:42 PM

158 posts, read 581,927 times

Advertisements

My husband has a job offer @ Emmanuel College in Franklin Springs. We currently live in CA and dislike it here immensly for many reasons, and have desired to move to the south for years now. We need to make a quickish decision about this job relocation, so I have some ??'s for you.

First, I read your sticky, and would like to answer some ??'s about us to help you help us!!!

1. budget - We will be renting a home. Our budget for monthly rent is about $1,200. Ideally, we'd like a 3-4 bd, 2 bth, with a yard. Do-able?
2. like I said, we'd be renting a home.
3. employment status - job transfer/ relocating from CA.
4. kids - 3 young ones (2 elementary aged.)
5. suburban or urban - both
6. public transit - No, we drive our cars.
7. demographics - Hugely important to us! We want a pretty, green town. We need hiking trails, outdoorsy, walkable town. Predominantly white. Good values/ moral feel.

What is FS like? Describe it to me. Is there Target? Markets close by? Friendly folks? Good community?

I did my research: crime seems low. How about schools? Humidity? Closest big town?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2011, 03:56 PM

1,262 posts, read 2,974,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlsRUs View Post
My husband has a job offer @ Emmanuel College in Franklin Springs. We currently live in CA and dislike it here immensly for many reasons, and have desired to move to the south for years now. We need to make a quickish decision about this job relocation, so I have some ??'s for you.

First, I read your sticky, and would like to answer some ??'s about us to help you help us!!!

1. budget - We will be renting a home. Our budget for monthly rent is about $1,200. Ideally, we'd like a 3-4 bd, 2 bth, with a yard. Do-able?
2. like I said, we'd be renting a home.
3. employment status - job transfer/ relocating from CA.
4. kids - 3 young ones (2 elementary aged.)
5. suburban or urban - both
6. public transit - No, we drive our cars.
7. demographics - Hugely important to us! We want a pretty, green town. We need hiking trails, outdoorsy, walkable town. Predominantly white. Good values/ moral feel.

What is FS like? Describe it to me. Is there Target? Markets close by? Friendly folks? Good community?

I did my research: crime seems low. How about schools? Humidity? Closest big town?
First off, this should probably be in the Georgia room as Franklin Springs is 2 hours from downtown Atlanta. Also, a Target?? You do know that the town has less than a thousand people. I grew up in neighboring Hartwell, so I know Franklin Springs well. It is very very small, but is very quaint. I don't think you would have any trouble finding a house in your price range. The closest town of decent size is Athens, and would be about 35 minutes down Hwy 29. Also, you're right next to Royston, home of Ty Cobb! Good Luck!

Old 10-26-2011, 04:51 PM

158 posts, read 581,927 times
Ericsonga I see what you mean about FS being very small town. My Husband is thinking Athens instead. What would the commute from Athens into FS be like? 35 minutes sound right?

I see the public schools in Oconee have a good reputation. Is Oconee in Athens? Or is that too far a commute into FS? I have never been to GA before, so bear with me...

Old 10-26-2011, 07:29 PM

1,262 posts, read 2,974,525 times
Oconee schools are very good. However, Oconee County is on the other side of Athens. Depending on where you are in Oconee you could be looking at up to an hour to Franklin Springs. I would not recommend Athens Clarke County schools. Franklin County has decent schools from what I hear.

Old 10-27-2011, 07:26 AM

257 posts, read 470,133 times
Wow, I never thought I would see a question about Franklin Springs on here. I grew up about 6 minutes outside of Franklin Springs in an unincorporated area (Sandy Cross). Also went to Emmanuel College for the first two years of undergrad.

FS is a nice little town. I think 1200 is a good price range for what you want. As far as the schools, I think your two young ones would be zoned for Royston Elementary. There are only four elementary schools in the county, and I would say that Royston is a pretty good one. Franklin County has a nice new middle school (much better than when I went there). I remember high school as a positive experience. Frankly, not everybody gets a good education at the high school, but I think it's due to the demographics. You can't make kids learn if they don't want to learn. Those of us in the honors and AP classes got a great education. It's what you make of it.

As far as values, I'm sure you'll like FS if you like the conservative Christian scene. That's basically all there is in FS. They only recently have allowed alcohol sales in the city. Royston sells alcohol right next door, and it's not quite as nice, but not bad. Closest Wal-Mart is 20-25 minutes away in Hartwell, but there are a couple of decent grocery stores in Royston. Closest big town is Athens.

If you have any more questions about Franklin Springs/Franklin County/Emmanuel, ask away, and I'll try to answer.

Old 10-27-2011, 09:25 AM

9,191 posts, read 33,883,354 times
Moving to the appropriate room.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia