Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2011, 09:36 AM

3 posts, read 3,457 times

Advertisements

So we have been living in Virginia for as long as we can remember and we need a change in the scenery. We have been researching several southern states but some are really bad. Researching these is really hard since we have to consider the safety of our children. We are looking for states/cities with the lowest crime rate possible, good schools, good employment opportunities, etc. Does anyone have any sugestions? A little help goes along way. Thx.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2011, 12:14 PM

630 posts, read 1,717,513 times
What kind of work do you and your husband do? That should be the priority regarding where would be a good place. You posted in the GA forum so I'm assuming your considering moving there. We moved away from GA a couple of months ago. There is no growth..things are very much stagnant around ATL. My husband took a job in the Northeast..where it's booming for his field.

Old 11-09-2011, 08:28 AM

1,473 posts, read 3,572,507 times
Oconee County. Best quality of life. Best schools. Laid back. Bucolic.

Few job opportunities and not very good salaries with some exceptions.

This would be the Athens metro area.

Old 11-10-2011, 07:51 PM

1,382 posts, read 3,801,312 times
I knew I recognized this post from somewhere... the Florida forum.

I can tell you a little about both FL and GA, having lived in both states. Most areas of FL won't meet your criteria of safety and job opportunites. IMO (as a Mom myself), it's not the best place for kids now and certainly will be even less so in the future.

I think GA is better than FL in some areas of the metro ATL. I would check out Cherokee County (NW of ATL) and Forsyth. Cobb is also supposed to be decent.

Regarding Athens, I used to live up that way and I would be very hesitant to move there, given the lack of jobs and relatively long drive to get anywhere where jobs might be. (more towards Gainesville or even south to Gwinnett County).

I'm not sure how much "change of scenery" you would get between north GA and VA. Kind of the same in terms of terrain and weather it seems.

Metro Atlanta is really not doing well with the job situation, so caution is advised for sure.

It all depends on your occupation and where you can get a job in this economy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia