Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2011, 01:29 PM

2 posts, read 14,257 times

Advertisements

My fiance and I (early-mid 20s) will be moving there in June because I am starting my clinical rotations for medical school. From what we've found online it looks like a great little town. We're both from medium-large cities (Tampa, Atlanta currently) but like the idea of something new for a few years.

Questions: How is rental housing, apartments? Better area of town than another to live in? Jobs? (She's got a Biology degree as well as personal training certification). Parks and trails? Bars?

We will be visiting next week for about half a day (that's about all we muster). Any main areas you would suggest checking out?

Thanks for any input and any extra words of advice would be appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2011, 09:44 PM

1,265 posts, read 3,448,917 times
My wife and I moved to Cartersville 8 years ago, but I lived in Rome for most of my life. It is a nice city. The medical sector is booming, with two large hospitals, and handful of large clinics, and plenty of physicians.

As far nightlife, Rome is a little below par. Most of the bars and night activities are centralized in the downtown area. There are only a handful of bars. If this is your scene, you are likely to be disappointed. However, Atlanta is only a 60-90 min. drive. There is a fairly good dining selection, including many of the large franchises (Applebees, Longhorn, Outlook, Olive Garden, etc.) There are also three movie theaters, and a Minor League Baseball team.

There are a few good locations for hiking, camping, and other outdoor activities in the Rome area, and many, many others within an hour drive. Berry College has more land than just about any other school in the country. There are several hiking trails on their beautiful campus. There are a few state parks in Cartersville/Bartow County, which is just a 30 min drive from Rome.

I can't speak intelligently about apartments, but if you are interested in renting a house, a few of the nicer, established neighborhoods include the Horseleg Creek Road area, Chulio Hills, some of the areas in East Rome, and the Garden Lakes area (I know there are a few others that I am neglecting to mention.) I would generally avoid the South Broad street area, and some of the neighborhoods in and around Maple Street. The Lindale and Silver Creek areas also have some nice neighborhoods. Lindale/Silver Creek are a little further away from the downtown Rome area (15-20 min drive), and there are a few neighborhoods in this area that should be avoided. Your contacts at the residency program might be able to give you some advice on housing. You could also consider contacting one of the many real estate agencies in Rome.

Old 12-08-2011, 11:09 AM

2 posts, read 14,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToucheGA View Post
My wife and I moved to Cartersville 8 years ago, but I lived in Rome for most of my life. It is a nice city. The medical sector is booming, with two large hospitals, and handful of large clinics, and plenty of physicians.

As far nightlife, Rome is a little below par. Most of the bars and night activities are centralized in the downtown area. There are only a handful of bars. If this is your scene, you are likely to be disappointed. However, Atlanta is only a 60-90 min. drive. There is a fairly good dining selection, including many of the large franchises (Applebees, Longhorn, Outlook, Olive Garden, etc.) There are also three movie theaters, and a Minor League Baseball team.

There are a few good locations for hiking, camping, and other outdoor activities in the Rome area, and many, many others within an hour drive. Berry College has more land than just about any other school in the country. There are several hiking trails on their beautiful campus. There are a few state parks in Cartersville/Bartow County, which is just a 30 min drive from Rome.

I can't speak intelligently about apartments, but if you are interested in renting a house, a few of the nicer, established neighborhoods include the Horseleg Creek Road area, Chulio Hills, some of the areas in East Rome, and the Garden Lakes area (I know there are a few others that I am neglecting to mention.) I would generally avoid the South Broad street area, and some of the neighborhoods in and around Maple Street. The Lindale and Silver Creek areas also have some nice neighborhoods. Lindale/Silver Creek are a little further away from the downtown Rome area (15-20 min drive), and there are a few neighborhoods in this area that should be avoided. Your contacts at the residency program might be able to give you some advice on housing. You could also consider contacting one of the many real estate agencies in Rome.
This is great advice. Not too into the nightlife/club scene, but as long as there are a bar or two that's perfect. Good to hear about medicine there. Thanks for the info on housing as well.

Old 07-15-2014, 02:38 PM

1 posts, read 5,847 times
Rome Georgia Is a college town, sort of like Athens, but with a much different nightlife, and entertainment scene. but as for general living, it is a great place to live , work and raise a family. situated approx. 65 miles from Chattanooga,TN , and 70 miles northwest of Atlanta.. it has opportunities for professional medical and technical jobs. and even in the service sector there are some jobs. the citys downtown seems to be the entertainment center, with a few exceptions. of your many travels, you must try jeffersons wings...shroeders new deli..., and all the eateries on Broad street downtown, including a quaint little italian restaurant called The La Scala. and mexican restaurant called El Zarape. i moved here from Atlanta in 1981 and ive transferred back here 3 times... the people here are pretty decent, and they have more of a community attitude, and its fun on concert days or festivals like chiaha festival or the roman roast . and rome also has block parties on Broad Street where the city shots down three blocks for citizens to enjoy music food and fun. during the warmer months. visit romegeorgia.org for local information..

Old 03-05-2019, 03:14 PM

20 posts, read 31,558 times
Sure would like some information about Lindale Ga. The rural areas, because my wife and I would love to get something
in the country on about 1 or 2 acres. Nice & peaceful, I know it won't be a perfect area, but then there's no such thing
as perfect anymore.

But any info would be appreciated! We're in our early 60's and retired, just want to live the simple life with our own
garden and raising a few farm animals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia