U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2007, 04:40 PM

3 posts, read 12,004 times

Advertisements

I'm a single mother of 2 from Los Angeles, Ca. I had the opportunity to visit Adairsville a year and a half ago. I have been back 2 more times with a planned visit set for December 2007.

I have every intention on moving there in the Spring of 2008. I hate living in Los Angeles and fell in love with Adairsville.

My question is Racism? I am a 4th generation born in the U.S. Mexican-American, my children 5th generation born who dont speak a word of spanish. My 17 year old on has yet to join me on any of my visits there but my 15 year old daughter has. She has found for the most part, that the teens there were accepting of her. The young men were eager to speak with her, asking her where she was from and if she was latin because they couldnt tell? The teen girls asked about her clothing & the color of her hair, its deep red, almost burgundy. But she didn't encounter any hostilities from the teens she met.

I found that the adults I came in to contact with were very nice. My experience at the Waffle House was amazing. At the end of my meal I found I was having conversations with half the diner. Everyone was very nice and agreeable that we would fit right in.

I just need some advise here. Living in Los Angeles, my children have NEVER encountered racism. I have never encourtered racism. Family and friends here think I'm crazy for wanting to move there.

Can anyone help and tell me what I might expect?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2007, 06:14 PM

1,072 posts, read 1,660,953 times
well Adairsville is a big change from LA. But I am not aware of there being a racial problem there like in some other communities in Georgia. There was a high profile incident in Canton, GA where white teenagers were picking up hispanic day laborers and beating them.. one of the accused also happens to be the son of the County Commission Chairman.
But you will find bigots everywhere.. Considering you have had such a warm welcoming by the locals in Adairsville should be a good sign.. you can usually figure out right away if a community is unwelcoming.
Also be sure to check out Barnsley Gardens nearby Adairsville... it is a wonderful place.. It is a resort built by a German prince.. very unique!

Old 08-29-2007, 05:57 AM

136 posts, read 437,108 times
I live in Bartow County not far from Adairsville. I moved here from Canton due to meth related crime over there. I am a single, white female and have have had no problems or have ever felt unsafe or discriminated against in Bartow. I have felt that in Canton and have found that people who discriminate against women are usually racist as well. I find people here to be more accepting and more likely to do the right thing. There is definitely some racism here as it is the deep south. There are some meth problems in Adairsville as in most of the south so choose your neighborhood carefully.

Old 08-29-2007, 02:35 PM

3 posts, read 12,004 times
hey thanks for the response they are greatly appreciated!

And yeah, Los Angeles is very different from Adairsville, but I was born and raised L.A. and I hate it here now. L.A. is so self-involved and ME ME ME, I'm tired of the rat race here. Adairsville is a most welcomed change of life for my kids and I, one my daughter is ready to embrace.

So thanks again!

Old 08-29-2007, 04:40 PM

100 posts, read 341,790 times
Well first off since you had a great visit to the town I would not let something someone on here has to say keep you from moving there. I too live in Bartow County, but on the other side. I am a young, black male and for me Adairsville is a bit redneckish, but that doesn't mean they are all racist people. I know several black people in Adairsville and none of them have said too much about race problems but I'm sure there are some up there. Again you had a great visit so I would go ahead and make the move.

Old 08-30-2007, 11:45 AM

39 posts, read 376,169 times
My sister just moved to Adairsville in January, from Michigann. She is white, husband is black and they have 4 kids. I don't think she has experienced any racism there but I'll ask her. It is just a bit 'rural'.

Old 09-02-2007, 02:17 AM

947 posts, read 2,862,842 times
I lived in the old part of Adairsville for about ten years. I miss living there.

Most residents there I have came across were very friendly. There is a huge mixed development planned there, I believe would bring about 3,000 (?) new residents and jobs to the city.

Adairsville may not be anything like LA County and South California, but don't let that stop you from moving to Adairsville. There is Atlanta (sometimes nicknamed 'Los Angeles of the East') and bigger suburbs (such as Marietta, Gwinnett, Alpharetta, etc) just close by.

Old 09-02-2007, 05:50 PM

53,012 posts, read 48,367,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost in the City View Post
I'm a single mother of 2 from Los Angeles, Ca. I had the opportunity to visit Adairsville a year and a half ago. I have been back 2 more times with a planned visit set for December 2007.

I have every intention on moving there in the Spring of 2008. I hate living in Los Angeles and fell in love with Adairsville.

My question is Racism? I am a 4th generation born in the U.S. Mexican-American, my children 5th generation born who dont speak a word of spanish. My 17 year old on has yet to join me on any of my visits there but my 15 year old daughter has. She has found for the most part, that the teens there were accepting of her. The young men were eager to speak with her, asking her where she was from and if she was latin because they couldnt tell? The teen girls asked about her clothing & the color of her hair, its deep red, almost burgundy. But she didn't encounter any hostilities from the teens she met.

I found that the adults I came in to contact with were very nice. My experience at the Waffle House was amazing. At the end of my meal I found I was having conversations with half the diner. Everyone was very nice and agreeable that we would fit right in.

I just need some advise here. Living in Los Angeles, my children have NEVER encountered racism. I have never encourtered racism. Family and friends here think I'm crazy for wanting to move there.

Can anyone help and tell me what I might expect?

I'm going to be blunt. While Adairsville might not be the most violent small town in GA, there is the sutble "behind your back" racism. According to one of my friends, small towns like that in northern GA, tend to have a smile to your face and stab you in the back racism.

Old 09-03-2007, 05:34 PM

136 posts, read 437,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
I'm going to be blunt. While Adairsville might not be the most violent small town in GA, there is the sutble "behind your back" racism. According to one of my friends, small towns like that in northern GA, tend to have a smile to your face and stab you in the back racism.
That is exactly what I experienced in Canton.

Old 09-04-2007, 08:36 PM

3 posts, read 19,930 times
Lost in the city,
I don't blame you for wanting to get out of LA. I have two grown sons that are leaving this month--one to Boston and one to the bedroom community of Temecula (misspelled?) I have lived in Adairsville twice and it is a community of good people--still have many friends there and visit. Even though it is small in size (but growing), the people there are not small minded. In fact, the Waffle House there is still my favorite place to meet friends when I pass through--and by the time you leave there, you feel as if you know everyone.
Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia