Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2007, 06:38 AM

3 posts, read 8,178 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am a large animal veterinarian (equine,small ruminants and camelids especially) who is looking to determine where in GA there is the need for veterinarians looking to practice high quality medicine. My specialty area is large animal internal medicine. I am looking to settle down and have a referral practice down the road. Any comments would be welcome!

Drfergie (Lexington GA)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2007, 07:27 AM

214 posts, read 900,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drfergie View Post
Hello,

I am a large animal veterinarian (equine,small ruminants and camelids especially) who is looking to determine where in GA there is the need for veterinarians looking to practice high quality medicine. My specialty area is large animal internal medicine. I am looking to settle down and have a referral practice down the road. Any comments would be welcome!

Drfergie (Lexington GA)
South Georgia is cattle country for Georgia and vets deal with alot of cows. You might want to check it out.

Old 09-01-2007, 09:48 AM

3,709 posts, read 4,627,807 times
Default seems that I see more

horse stables in a stretch from Thomaston, toward Senoia, toward Fayetteville direction. This seems to be a pretty good concentration. Otherwise, is there really a lot of horse breeding around Cumming (the Polo Fields) ??????? Or is it just a selling point for tract lots??????

Old 09-01-2007, 10:08 AM

214 posts, read 900,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishvanguard View Post
horse stables in a stretch from Thomaston, toward Senoia, toward Fayetteville direction. This seems to be a pretty good concentration. Otherwise, is there really a lot of horse breeding around Cumming (the Polo Fields) ??????? Or is it just a selling point for tract lots??????
There is not alot of horse breeding in Cumming IMO. The best horse country in Georgia that I know about is out I-20 with Madison, GA being about the center for it.

Old 09-01-2007, 11:40 PM

177 posts, read 973,294 times
I have seen buffalo, llamas (and something similar to llamas, but I've forgotten the name), and lots of the usual goats, cattle and horses just past The Rock (heading towards Thomaston) and just past Forsyth (that's the town of Forsyth, not the county) on the country road to Barnesville, and other places around those areas. I've also frequently seen llamas (and those other animals like llamas), goats and cattle in the local animal auctions in those areas as well. Miniature horses and donkeys seem to be popular as well.

The Rock has that big Chik-Fil-A ranch, I don't know if they have their own vet or if they use a local one.

Taking the country roads between Forsyth and -->NORTH<-- Macon (that's the road that tiny Bollingbroke is on) I always see horses on the properties as we get closer to NORTH Macon. There is some type of horse therapy place on that road as well.

The farms between Monticello (if I'm spelling that correctly) and Madison always seem VERY well kept, including one dairy that is on that route. There is a farm on that road that had a lot of miniature horses, but I haven't seen them lately, but maybe they are just in some other area of the farm. While Madison is a WONDERFUL town, it's rather on the expensive side to me, but has some good restaurants, lots of antique stores and an independent bookstore. Rutledge (sp?) is about 7 miles, I think, from Madison and I would guess that land and/or housing might be less expensive there than in Madison, but it's TINY. I haven't visited there since one of the few antique stores moved to Madison.

I also have heard that some people who own horses as well as people who board horses have moved from areas like Locust Grove (because of the growth) and settled in Zebulon. In fact a couple who owns an organic farm recently located to Zebulon. Zebulon is QUITE small, but the town square is being revitalized nicely. They have a very nice used and new bookstore in an historic building as well as a farmers market that is quite good for Middle Georgia. I have been told by two people that the minimum house size lot in Zebulon is one acre.

Hope this helps
zebbie

While there is a really nice farm (or really to me a ranch) on the road between The Rock and Thomaston, just before entering Thomaston that always seems to have interesting animals, I would not consider locating IN Thomaston.

I would guess that the animal auction places might be able to give you information on farms that have the types of animals you are interested in.

Monticello and Madison have a lot of nice historic houses. I'm not sure about the prices for housing in Monticello, but I have looked at Madison and it's expensive. The historic houses in Barnesville cost a lot less. I'm not sure about land prices in these places.

Old 06-21-2008, 08:29 PM

13 posts, read 57,750 times
Zebbie, do you mean Alpacas? the shorter llama type animals with the awesome wool coats?

Old 06-23-2008, 11:11 AM

102 posts, read 375,439 times
Come on down to Willacoochee!!! We use to have a vet (he was very popular in the area and made pretty good money), but he has now since retired and we no longer have a vet. It was nice when we did have one however, didn't have to make to big of a drive.

Old 01-14-2009, 10:52 AM

13 posts, read 29,727 times
Default We really need a large animal veterinarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drfergie View Post
Hello,

Drfergie (Lexington GA)
We need you in the Darien area of Georgia. We have a veterinarian that owns horses, but she is limited to giving shots. If we have an emergency we are out of luck. Please look into this area. We do have a large equine population here and other farm type animals.

Old 01-24-2009, 03:05 PM

1 posts, read 3,934 times
Around palmetto fayetteville and douglasville. There is a high demand for cameli vets.many of us are considering starting alpaca businesses but vet service is very hard to find here.

Old 01-24-2009, 03:40 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,883,354 times
FYI to newer posters: The posting dates from postings are in the upper-left corner of each post. You have replied to a vet's post from September of 2007, well over a year ago. Most likely they have moved, set up, or gave up by now and are not monitoring this topic any longer.

But perhaps there's another vet looking to set up shop in a rural area who will get something out of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia