U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2007, 07:38 PM

9,188 posts, read 30,943,496 times

Advertisements

I ditto the Craigslist thing - you can sometimes find some pretty good deals on older townhomes. I've seen some in the 95k range and if your credit is decent you can swing a pretty decent loan on something like that and maybe BUY rather than rent.

Any *good* realtor should be able to help you out. If you want to try the buy route, tell them exactly what you posted above. They should have a list of lower-priced units that aren't in bad areas. Atlanta is a big city. Big cities don't usually have "low priced but *nice*" neighborhoods. It's either going to be a ghettoized area filled with crime, or a trailer park filled with illegal immigrants - unless that is, you move far enough out of the city limits that it's too far out for you - and you indicated you didn't want to live in Mayberry, etc.

If you don't want to go the buying route, there are still apartment complexes scattered throughout the Atlanta area in the sub-$1000 range in *decent* neighborhoods. Promove is a service a lot of people have said they liked using to find a place: Atlanta Apartments from PROMOVE - The Apartment Source
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2007, 06:03 PM

36 posts, read 220,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westward View Post
There is one hospital, Wellstar Kennestone, in Kennesaw, and another Wellstar hospital not too far away on S.Cobb in Marietta. The one on S.Cobb Dr. is in a more diverse, more affordably priced area, in a good mix of smaller, older homes, along with many new smaller homes. Lots of new shopping there too, Walmart, Target, Home Depot, etc, and plenty of restaurants. The area around Kennestone is going to be a bit more expensive. I don't know of any hospitals/surgical centers in Woodstock.
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
I ditto the Craigslist thing - you can sometimes find some pretty good deals on older townhomes. I've seen some in the 95k range and if your credit is decent you can swing a pretty decent loan on something like that and maybe BUY rather than rent.

Any *good* realtor should be able to help you out. If you want to try the buy route, tell them exactly what you posted above. They should have a list of lower-priced units that aren't in bad areas. Atlanta is a big city. Big cities don't usually have "low priced but *nice*" neighborhoods. It's either going to be a ghettoized area filled with crime, or a trailer park filled with illegal immigrants - unless that is, you move far enough out of the city limits that it's too far out for you - and you indicated you didn't want to live in Mayberry, etc.

If you don't want to go the buying route, there are still apartment complexes scattered throughout the Atlanta area in the sub-$1000 range in *decent* neighborhoods. Promove is a service a lot of people have said they liked using to find a place: Atlanta Apartments from PROMOVE - The Apartment Source

Thanks guys. Much appreciated.

Old 09-04-2007, 08:32 PM

3 posts, read 10,221 times
Default resources to help you with your decision

I have lived in Duluth and really liked it. It was close to shopping, affordable living and plenty clerical/data entry work within an hour drive. Buford is also close to shopping, affordable living and clerical/data entry work. Both cities have a major mall in close proximity. Duluth has Gwinnett Place Mall and Bufor has Mall of Georgia. Wal-Mart and other discount shopping is close by as well.

If you choose to rent, there are websites like Apartments.com - Free Nationwide Apartment Search with the Most Visual Rental Listings Online., Apartments for Rent and Homes for Rent, Apartment Search: Find an Apartment to Rent with Fast, Easy and Free Online Apartment Search and many more. You can log on to Google and type in apartments in georgia and look at all the listings. There are some sites that offer incentives like $100-$300 cash for using their site to locate a rental (you get it after you sign the lease, of course). There are also plenty of apartments that offer free rent as either a discount off monthly rent for a number of months or a set dollar amount equal to a month or two of rent. These sites may have some condo/townhome listings and some homes for rent, but not many.

If you choose to buy, there are some things to consider. Specifically, how much can you afford to put as a down payment and what is your credit score. Those are major in qualifying for a loan. There is a decent selection of homes under $100k in all of the areas you listed. Finding the best deal for you and your family is a matter of narrowing down what is available to match your specific needs/desires.

My sister bought a nice foreclosure in Lawrenceville and her mortgage payments are under $900. As a matter of fact, foreclosure properties may be a better option for your budget. Be careful, though, alot of them are sold as-is. They have to tell you what is wrong with the property if they know it, but they don't have to fix it before you buy it.

Last edited by jxu66; 09-05-2007 at 12:00 PM.. Reason: report competitive site

Old 09-08-2007, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sellersandbuyersga View Post
I have lived in Duluth and really liked it. It was close to shopping, affordable living and plenty clerical/data entry work within an hour drive. Buford is also close to shopping, affordable living and clerical/data entry work. Both cities have a major mall in close proximity. Duluth has Gwinnett Place Mall and Bufor has Mall of Georgia. Wal-Mart and other discount shopping is close by as well.

If you choose to rent, there are websites like Apartments.com - Free Nationwide Apartment Search with the Most Visual Rental Listings Online., Apartments for Rent and Homes for Rent, Apartment Search: Find an Apartment to Rent with Fast, Easy and Free Online Apartment Search and many more. You can log on to Google and type in apartments in georgia and look at all the listings. There are some sites that offer incentives like $100-$300 cash for using their site to locate a rental (you get it after you sign the lease, of course). There are also plenty of apartments that offer free rent as either a discount off monthly rent for a number of months or a set dollar amount equal to a month or two of rent. These sites may have some condo/townhome listings and some homes for rent, but not many.

If you choose to buy, there are some things to consider. Specifically, how much can you afford to put as a down payment and what is your credit score. Those are major in qualifying for a loan. There is a decent selection of homes under $100k in all of the areas you listed. Finding the best deal for you and your family is a matter of narrowing down what is available to match your specific needs/desires.

My sister bought a nice foreclosure in Lawrenceville and her mortgage payments are under $900. As a matter of fact, foreclosure properties may be a better option for your budget. Be careful, though, alot of them are sold as-is. They have to tell you what is wrong with the property if they know it, but they don't have to fix it before you buy it.

Yeah, I was thinking about forclosed homes, but I don't have the money to fix anything if it needs something fixed after buying it. I guess my best bet would be to rent, that way, if I end up needing to move again once we get down there, I can do so more easily.

Thanks for the info on Duluth by the way.

Old 10-14-2007, 06:44 PM

9,124 posts, read 33,515,732 times
If you go the rental route, there are complexes in Woodstock that are decent that may fit in your price range. We stayed in BrookeMill on Hwy 92 for a few months while our house was being finished, and you can get a 2br apartment there for under $900. The complex is pretty quiet, it's convenient to the freeway, and you can be in Marietta in around 45 minutes or so during rush hour. Might be worth a look.

Old 10-17-2007, 05:42 AM

2 posts, read 6,097 times
Athmagirl,

I think it's quite possible to find affordable housing in Gwinnett County. I have a friend who is paying $600 a month for a 2 bedroom apartment. If you're used to a low pay rate like that, then GA is the place for you. If you're interested and your reply, I can find out the names of some apartment complexes. As far as homes. I have seen old, old homes in Snellville for $100K. I think that's affordable, and the homes I've seen are really nice, single family homes with 2 car garage and lots of land space.

Old 11-23-2007, 10:45 AM

Sure, any extra info on apts and housing is appreciated. Sorry, haven't been on here in a bit.

Feel free to update your post.

Thanks!

Old 12-13-2007, 09:32 PM

8 posts, read 28,278 times
I would say visit some of georgia sites for homeownership programs , there are so many programs for low income families and i can give you the email address to Karen Sherard who works for Sigma Property Management Group she place you into a newly constructed home , either rent to own or however. Not sure if you ever thought about signing up for Homeownership vouvhers but Georgia has applications ,Depends on the area. Search whatever county you want to relocate to or give her a call she can assist you ksherard@sigmapmg.org I love to help others if i have the info. Good Luck and God Bless

Old 12-14-2007, 04:24 PM

7 posts, read 21,263 times
Default Thank you Asthma Girl

I just wanted to thank you for your post !!
I totally agree with you,and can relate about not having much of a cash flow !
I am from Nebraska,and the only good thing about is the cost of living,unless
you live in Lincoln or Omaha !
I am retired and only take home $1600 a month ! I want to get back to the beach and ocean so bad I can taste it !!
All I want is a simple house or trailer close to the ocean !
I have tried Lousiana,Missisippi,Alabama and Northern Florida !
All they have are apartments that look like resort areas ! Thats the last thing I want !! I also have two cats which are just like family,and the
exorbitant !! prices they want for having pets is rediculess
I just want to live on the gulf coast somewhere thats quiet and cheap,but 1/2 way decent!!!
Does any body out there have any info that could be helpful
Thanks so much Stranded in Nebraska

Old 12-17-2007, 03:52 AM

25 posts, read 92,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AthmaGirl View Post
Yeah, I was thinking about forclosed homes, but I don't have the money to fix anything if it needs something fixed after buying it. I guess my best bet would be to rent, that way, if I end up needing to move again once we get down there, I can do so more easily.

Thanks for the info on Duluth by the way.
AthmaGirl,

Think outside the box. Now, I don't say that to be insulting; not at all. I want you to go into this with an open mind. If you have good credit, you can pretty much get anything material in America!!! Why rent if you can buy???

There are numerous foreclosed homes in the ATL and outlying areas. I just urge you to look into it before you say, "you can't". Not all foreclosed homes are in shambles; get out of that frame of mind.

Moving into an apartment doesn't help you credit-wise as far as builing long term financial stability. HUD has foreclosed homes, so does the VA and almost every bank you can think of. You don't have a large income but you appear to live within your means and that is what is important; it isn't how much money we make, but our ability to live within our means. Many people make much more than you and are having their homes foreclosed.

If you can possible go up to $1,000 for rent there is no way you shouldn't invest that in a property to call your own.

1. Find out if you can qualify to purchase a home and for how much.

2. Decide which area you want to live in.

3. Get a realtor to find every single foreclosed property in that area and other outlying areas (in your qualified $ range).

4. Look at many homes so you can have various "I love this one" to choose from. Remember it is a high ticket item and not a DVD player; you can't simply return it .

What area do you plan on living in.....let me know so I can do a basic search so I can give you some ideas of prices.

Remember, foreclosed doesn't mean it has to be delapidated or in shambles. I see you as a survivor....let me know how your progess goes. I wish you all the best....sincerely!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or