U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2007, 08:21 PM

3 posts, read 15,222 times

Advertisements

Hi, I am a single mother of 3 son, I am currently staying in Gainesville Fla, wanting to move to a small, but livable city in Georgia. Can someone stir me in the right direction to go in relations to jobs(CNA/PCA), housing, (I don't want to move in the project) I looking for an apartment with a decent rental rate. I know there is good and bad whereever you go, but I looking for a place with more good than bad. My sons is teenager therefore I don't care for a fast pace city with drug problems. I will like some truthful response being that I trying to research my options, so that we can be moving in June 2008.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2007, 03:33 PM

177 posts, read 912,135 times
Hi, I live in a small town in Middle Georgia.

I don't know exactly what you're looking for in terms of a "liveable city," (maybe you could clarify that) and I'm not sure in what kind of environment (doctors office, hospital or other type of facility) you would be seeking employment. I do know that there are hospitals in Thomaston (Upson Regional Medical Center), Griffin (Spaulding ___ hospital), a small hospital in Forsyth (that's the town of Forsyth, not the county). and, of course, more than one hospital in Macon. There are doctors offices dotted around these hospitals.

There are some other types of facilities that MIGHT have medical personal needs such as the big jail or prison facility in or near Lamar County, I THINK that's in Jackson. Also, I believe that the state prison SYSTEM is moving to an historic college campus in Forsyth, maybe if there is an actual prison there, there might be a need for medical staff. Also, there is some type of facility (state?) in Barnesville for neurologically damaged individuals (some of which are children).

I believe (though I'm not acually knowledgeable about this) that one of the hospitals in Macon has QUITE a good reputation. I'm not sure if there are two of three hospitals in Macon. I've heard good things about one of the hospitals in Macon (but sorry can't remember the name, but I think it's a Truma Level One --or something like that) and I was tremendously impressed with the treatment of a friend who had traumatic brain damage.

Frankly, though I **personally** wouldn't consider living in Thomaston, Griffin or Macon because I deteset sprawl and like low crime, little traffic, small rural town type living. As long as a small town meets my DAILY needs (grocery and drug stores, doc offices, pharmacies, etc.) I don't mind going to larger towns or cities from time to time for MAJOR shopping. I don't know much about LIVING in Forsyth, but we certainly do go to Forsyth often, stop in the down town for antique shopping on our way to and from Macon and the --->country areas<---- around Forsyth are very pretty to us.
My suggestion would be to find the town you want to WORK in and then look at small towns around that town. For example, if there are jobs in Macon, I'd look to small towns around Macon for a place to live. If you could find a job in Griffin, I'd look to Zebulon or Milner or some of the other small towns or areas that are near Griffin. I'd check the towns for low crime rate on city-data.com and specifically for TYPES of crime, to areas where there are a lot of drugs.

Since a lot of the small towns are quite rural the commute to work could be much more pleasant than one would think given the distance, if you carefully plot a commute on country roads. For example, we often shop in Macon but take country roads to -->NORTH<--Macon and that's a very plesant 40+ miles. 40+ miles heading towards Atlanta would be a horror for us with traffic and sprawl.

I do know that a lot of people have chosen to live in smaller towns in Middle Georgia to raise children, sometimes even when the schools don't have real good ratings because they feel that a safer, smaller environment is better for raising children. And, the school stats are based on the whole school. In some of these small COUNTIES, there is one elementary, one middle school and one high school for the ENTIRE county.

Also, if you're considering continuing your medical education, you might consider also including areas that have nursing schools in your search. So, that if you do consider that, going to school wouldn't be such a burden.

If you're thinking of any of the small towns, some of their newspapers are on-line and you can get an idea of what's going on BEFORE even visiting.

And, finally...it might be possible for you to find a home to rent on some acreage rather than an appartment. If you have an idea of an area you can check the Farmers & Consumers Market Bulletin under "Farmland Rent/Lease". If you read those adds you will see that many times a house is included in the description. I believe the (Georgia) Farmers & Consumers Market Bulletin is available on-line but I don't have the address.

Good luck,
zebbie

Old 09-02-2007, 04:12 PM

18 posts, read 96,677 times
We just moved from Fl to Lexington, just outside of Athens, We LOVE it here. We have two small kids, the schools in Lexington are great for us. But...this is about you For medical work Athens is 20 minutes from us, plenty of Drs., hospitals, lots of openings on the UGA HR web-site also. I am not sure about apts, but houses around here are WAY less expensive than Fl. Not alot of info, but hope it helps.

Old 09-07-2007, 01:47 AM

Location: West Augusta, GA, ATL, MIAMI, TAMPA, LA, HOUSTON, D.C.
88 posts, read 97,344 times
check richmond, columbia, burke, mcduffie, lincoln, washington, edgefield, warrenton, wilkes, jefferson, mccormick, all part of metro augusta. Alot of construction is going on in augusta all around the city to the suburbs to the rural areas

Old 09-07-2007, 07:19 AM
JLA

627 posts, read 2,017,786 times
There are about 10 hospitals and numerous clinics in the Columbus area. It was voted one the top 100 child friendly cities in the nation. I'm not sure what the CNA pay scale is here in Columbus, therefore you might want to do a some research. There are some very nice apartment complexes in the area, although housing is general less expensive than Atlanta it is starting to creep up as more people move into the city and the surrounding area. The city is lovely, it has a vibrant Downtown, and it is not just an entertainment area, people are living in Downtown Columbus, beautiful loft apartments and condos. The Historic District is very nice. Generally the schools are nice throughout the city, but the best schools are generally located in North Columbus. If you wish to live in the Alabama side, then Lee county has the best schools, but Columbus has more amenities (sports and recreation). The crime rate is generally low, but as more people move in, unfortunately not all of them are coming here to improve themselves. On the other hand, there is a lot of civic pride and we tend to get stuff built with little help from the state or federal governments. Unlike some of the other cities in GA, Columbus has a well functioning city/county government, which gets things done. The Chamber of Commerce thinks regionally, if a company can not be persuaded to come to Columbus, then maybe it will relocate or build in one of the other counties in the area (example, KIA Motors in Troupe county). The city of Columbus has somewhat of a small town feel to it, no sky scrapers, there is no need for them, there are more than 191,000 people living here in the city. The city is spread out so we are not living on top of one another, therefore it may appear that the population is smaller than it really is. I hope this information help you in your decision process.

Old 09-07-2007, 06:00 PM

3 posts, read 15,222 times
When I say the word decent, I mean the housing, pay scale and the town in general. I am now staying in Gainesville Fla making 11/hr and paying 575.00 for a 2 bedroom apartment and I am NOT talking about in the upscale part of the city. I am looking for a city in Georgia that the rent is moderate, and the pay is decent enough ,you can pay rent, bills and raise your children without struggling. I don't know if it just me, but it seem as if everything is going up but the wages.

Old 09-07-2007, 08:31 PM
JLA

627 posts, read 2,017,786 times
It might be a good idea to send in some resumes and see if you get any bites. A nice two bedroom here in Columbus would be about the same, but some of the really nice ones will most likely be about $800.00 or more. Generally the electric bill will be about the same no matter where you stay in GA, because the electric rate is the same for all Georgia Power customers, there are few other smaller utilities in the smaller communities which might charge more or less, but generally the electricity rate is about the same. There are some other variables to consider such as how old are the apartments, how much square footage will you be heating or cooling and if they are in North, Central or South GA. The farther north you go the more you pay in the winter for heating and the farther south you go the more you pay for cooling. The central area of the state is a good trade off, it does not get as cold as North GA nor does it get as hot as South GA. The gas and water bill will vary with location, because these are usually locally owned and operated. Once again, before you make any move it would be wise to do some extensive research on the areas you are interested in. I hope this helps.

Old 06-22-2008, 08:44 PM

1 posts, read 2,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mother3 View Post
Hi, I am a single mother of 3 son, I am currently staying in Gainesville Fla, wanting to move to a small, but livable city in Georgia. Can someone stir me in the right direction to go in relations to jobs(CNA/PCA), housing, (I don't want to move in the project) I looking for an apartment with a decent rental rate. I know there is good and bad whereever you go, but I looking for a place with more good than bad. My sons is teenager therefore I don't care for a fast pace city with drug problems. I will like some truthful response being that I trying to research my options, so that we can be moving in June 2008.
There are several small towns in West Georgia. One is Bremen. It has a small school (135) in each graduating class. There is assisted apartments and a lot of caring people that live there. I raised my children there. It is about 50 miles from ATL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or